Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne: How to fix leaking sunroof drain junctions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:12 AM
cayenne957
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne: How to fix leaking sunroof drain junctions?

Hello, I have been having water leaking problems in my 957 beast and after reading many forums on here, I was able to fix many previously thought potential causes, but water was still coming in!

Here is what I have done:
1- I removed the front wheel liners and cleaned the area between those plastic covers and the firewall.
2- I plugged all rubber seals from the inside and the outside.
3- I cleared the AC drain and made sure it is installed properly.
4- I removed the roof racks, all the way down to the tracks which have rubber seals underneath and around the 5 screws on each side, I sealed those with silicone and reinstalled the tracks only.

Every time I did one thing, the problem seemed to disappear, but not for too long. Finally, I found something on youtube about pouring hot water and soap into the four drain holes located on each corner of the sunroof. I did this on one hole at a time, and while water dripped from the bottom of the car to the respective side of the hole I was pouring water into, here is what happened from the inside:
1- The A pillar on the driver side leaked water into the footwell, and it was soaking from the emergency brake downwards.
2- The footwell of the passenger side felt a bit wet.
3- Pillars C and D on both sides leaked aloootttt of water, around the handles, into the headliner and all the way down the pillars.

Now I know it must be the junctions of the drain tubes coming from the sunroof. Question is, can I reach those by just removing the pillar covers? Or do I have to remove the entire headliner?
If so, is there a DIY to remove the headliner and fix those junctions myself?
Any help appreciated

I attached couple photos of the water damaged areas

Old 02-23-2021, 03:50 PM
Paul Meyer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cayenne957
Hello, I have been having water leaking problems in my 957 beast and after reading many forums on here, I was able to fix many previously thought potential causes, but water was still coming in!

Here is what I have done:
1- I removed the front wheel liners and cleaned the area between those plastic covers and the firewall.
2- I plugged all rubber seals from the inside and the outside.
3- I cleared the AC drain and made sure it is installed properly.
4- I removed the roof racks, all the way down to the tracks which have rubber seals underneath and around the 5 screws on each side, I sealed those with silicone and reinstalled the tracks only.

Every time I did one thing, the problem seemed to disappear, but not for too long. Finally, I found something on youtube about pouring hot water and soap into the four drain holes located on each corner of the sunroof. I did this on one hole at a time, and while water dripped from the bottom of the car to the respective side of the hole I was pouring water into, here is what happened from the inside:
1- The A pillar on the driver side leaked water into the footwell, and it was soaking from the emergency brake downwards.
2- The footwell of the passenger side felt a bit wet.
3- Pillars C and D on both sides leaked aloootttt of water, around the handles, into the headliner and all the way down the pillars.

Now I know it must be the junctions of the drain tubes coming from the sunroof. Question is, can I reach those by just removing the pillar covers? Or do I have to remove the entire headliner?
If so, is there a DIY to remove the headliner and fix those junctions myself?
Any help appreciated

I attached couple photos of the water damaged areas

Have just troubleshot same issue. FWD sunroof drain lines completely clogged. Removed each drain line from each footwell/firewall interface and cleaned. Flushed water through the lines as well. HOWEVER, we identified that water when backing up drain lines and into sunroof overflows into sunroof tracks. This water goes STRAIGHT DOWN THE PILLAR and into the footwells on each side. Assuming there is no failure in the sunroof tracks, but just that this is a flawed design. The only remedy I know of is to ensure the sunroof drain lines are kept clean and draining. Another one to add to the Cayenne Maintenance list.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

OP - given the rear leaks - you may want to check the spare-tire well. If you have(had) a subwoofer chances are it's drowned by now.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:43 PM
Askowen
1st Gear

I'm experiencing a water leakage problem with my 2018 Panamera as well. The filter was completely wet when I pulled it out, but I'm still unable to determine the source of the water. I'm unsure whether it's due to rain or the AC.

Quick Reply: Cayenne: How to fix leaking sunroof drain junctions?