Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Purchasing a 2018-2019 Panamera 4S - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 07:10 PM
TheAv1ator
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vg247
sorry to hear but a greater one awaits.. what exactly was wrong with the Carmax purchase and how did you find out etc? Just want to learn and avoid them if this is a common thing from Carmax given the price paid.
Upfront I'll tell you, I would definitely buy from Carmax again. The return policy, 90-day B2B warranty, MaxCare and customer service was fantastic. It really was just a bad example of a car - they've got nearly brand new perfect condition cars for sale.

Sit down for a nice story. I was looking on Carmax, because their 30 day return window + stupid cheap maxcare warranty pretty much ensured I'd be okay in case the car was bad. It was a 2017 4S with ~45k miles for $67k, which is one of the cheapest in the country (I know... red flag, but I can always return it). I drove up to Carmax, looked around the car and took it for a test drive. It drove fine and interior was nearly perfect, but there were a few small flaws and 1 issue:
  • At least some of the front bumper was repainted (quite well I might add). There was a relatively deep scratch that was painted over - you could see it at the right angle and feel it with your finger
  • A few small scratches around the car. All were covered with touch up paint.
  • The door on the ashtray/storage compartment below the shifter didn't work properly
I could live with all these, as most were ignorable or I could get fixed for cheap. I bought the car ($67k + $3700 for MaxCare [+5 yrs, up to 100k miles]), with the plan for a PPI on it. Very quick and easy buying process I might add.

The very next day, issue #1 popped up. The trunk would not latch shut. I tried about 10 times and it simply wouldn't go. Luckily, it happened when I was eating lunch 2 blocks down the street from CarMax. I drove it over (if you didn't know, almost every non-driving functionality is locked when the truck is open) and left it there for them to look at. This was on Sunday, so they gave me a loaner car (a 2013 Mazda 6 lol) and said the service department would look at it on Monday when they opened. Got a call the next day and they said they would replace the latch. Unfortunately it took Porsche a week to get the part, so I didn't get the car back till next Tuesday (this was last week btw). Trunk is fixed and working. I'll add as a point to CarMax, they called me everyday to give a status update, which I appreciated.

I had the PPI done on Thursday:
  • The car was mechanically sound, but it needed new brake pads, rotors and tires (~$2600 in parts).
  • Cosmetically, they confirmed the front bumper was likely repainted and the rims were refurbished quite heavily - lots of sanded down and painted curb rash. They clearly didn't take off the tires, as there was overspray on them.
  • A few error codes were thrown: "Clutch B Slippage", and "Torque withdrawal" being the only worrying ones. A call to Porsche confirmed these were nothing to worry about unless a check engine light came on
I called up CarMax and told them I wanted the brake pads, rotors and tires replaced or I'd need to return the car. They agreed to take a look at the brakes and replace if necessary. The sticky point was the tires. CarMax replaces tires on lack of tread, but not age. They had about 50% tread left, but the tires were almost 7 years old - Pilot sports should be replaced every 6 years ideally. The sales manager agreed to at least take a look into it, if I brought the car to them to have their folks look at. All good with me - I made an appointment for this Thursday.

Well, the very next day we had some very hot days in SoCal. It was 100 F+ for two days straight and the car was parked outside. This revealed a few new issues. The biggest one being the drivers side door leather peeling off:

Adding up all the stuff, I just figured this was something above telling me to walk away from this car. I called up CarMax again and just said I wanted to return it. They offered to fix the leather, but realistically I don't think they could to the satisfaction I'd be happy with. As soon as I got to CarMax, the mirrors stopped tilting down in reverse and folding when locked. That was the nail in the coffin for me. I returned the car and got a full refund. CarMax was great, but that Panamera was a pig with lipstick.
The following 4 users liked this post by TheAv1ator:
cbracerx (11-06-2023), CHI-ALAN (08-01-2022), DogWood (04-14-2022), vg247 (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 11:02 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAv1ator
Upfront I'll tell you, I would definitely buy from Carmax again. The return policy, 90-day B2B warranty, MaxCare and customer service was fantastic. It really was just a bad example of a car - they've got nearly brand new perfect condition cars for sale.

Sit down for a nice story. I was looking on Carmax, because their 30 day return window + stupid cheap maxcare warranty pretty much ensured I'd be okay in case the car was bad. It was a 2017 4S with ~45k miles for $67k, which is one of the cheapest in the country (I know... red flag, but I can always return it). I drove up to Carmax, looked around the car and took it for a test drive. It drove fine and interior was nearly perfect, but there were a few small flaws and 1 issue:
  • At least some of the front bumper was repainted (quite well I might add). There was a relatively deep scratch that was painted over - you could see it at the right angle and feel it with your finger
  • A few small scratches around the car. All were covered with touch up paint.
  • The door on the ashtray/storage compartment below the shifter didn't work properly
I could live with all these, as most were ignorable or I could get fixed for cheap. I bought the car ($67k + $3700 for MaxCare [+5 yrs, up to 100k miles]), with the plan for a PPI on it. Very quick and easy buying process I might add.

The very next day, issue #1 popped up. The trunk would not latch shut. I tried about 10 times and it simply wouldn't go. Luckily, it happened when I was eating lunch 2 blocks down the street from CarMax. I drove it over (if you didn't know, almost every non-driving functionality is locked when the truck is open) and left it there for them to look at. This was on Sunday, so they gave me a loaner car (a 2013 Mazda 6 lol) and said the service department would look at it on Monday when they opened. Got a call the next day and they said they would replace the latch. Unfortunately it took Porsche a week to get the part, so I didn't get the car back till next Tuesday (this was last week btw). Trunk is fixed and working. I'll add as a point to CarMax, they called me everyday to give a status update, which I appreciated.

I had the PPI done on Thursday:
  • The car was mechanically sound, but it needed new brake pads, rotors and tires (~$2600 in parts).
  • Cosmetically, they confirmed the front bumper was likely repainted and the rims were refurbished quite heavily - lots of sanded down and painted curb rash. They clearly didn't take off the tires, as there was overspray on them.
  • A few error codes were thrown: "Clutch B Slippage", and "Torque withdrawal" being the only worrying ones. A call to Porsche confirmed these were nothing to worry about unless a check engine light came on
I called up CarMax and told them I wanted the brake pads, rotors and tires replaced or I'd need to return the car. They agreed to take a look at the brakes and replace if necessary. The sticky point was the tires. CarMax replaces tires on lack of tread, but not age. They had about 50% tread left, but the tires were almost 7 years old - Pilot sports should be replaced every 6 years ideally. The sales manager agreed to at least take a look into it, if I brought the car to them to have their folks look at. All good with me - I made an appointment for this Thursday.

Well, the very next day we had some very hot days in SoCal. It was 100 F+ for two days straight and the car was parked outside. This revealed a few new issues. The biggest one being the drivers side door leather peeling off:

Adding up all the stuff, I just figured this was something above telling me to walk away from this car. I called up CarMax again and just said I wanted to return it. They offered to fix the leather, but realistically I don't think they could to the satisfaction I'd be happy with. As soon as I got to CarMax, the mirrors stopped tilting down in reverse and folding when locked. That was the nail in the coffin for me. I returned the car and got a full refund. CarMax was great, but that Panamera was a pig with lipstick.

Thanks so much for sharing in detail, a lot of stuff I learned from this much appreciated. Also very happy to hear that it was a seamless no hassle return process for you.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:09 PM
Ali iqbal
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Last edited by Ali iqbal; 04-26-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:47 AM
armoredPorsche
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed for the used car market, there's a lot of 2018, but rarely any 2019 or 2020. Are leasing periods not over yet?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:05 PM
TheAv1ator
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by armoredPorsche
I have noticed for the used car market, there's a lot of 2018, but rarely any 2019 or 2020. Are leasing periods not over yet?
3 year lease periods are most common, so I'd say this is a reasonable assumption. My 2018 4S was first leased in January 2019 and looks like it was turned in December 2021. So quite a few 2019s and many 2020s won't be back for months.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:24 PM
MaxBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default CarMax

I am no expert at this but having just purchased a Porsche from CarMax, I thought that I would jot down my thoughts.

Buying a Used Porsche from CarMax

So, you’ve been looking for a while, for just the model, just the color, just the options, just the
configuration, the price you can afford and all of sudden you have found the Porsche of your
dreams. It just so happens to be at CarMax. What now?

Some notes at this point:

CarMax does not provide for a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection).

Any car that you trade in for your new Porsche will no longer be available to you even if you do
not decide to keep the new car.

If CarMax is to register your car with your DMV, they will file the paperwork and pay any
monies you have provided to the DMV after 72 hours. Therefore you realistically have no more
than 72 hours to negate the deal in order to avoid paying the DMV,

Important: After you have arranged delivery you must schedule a PoPI (Post Purchase
Inspection) within that 72 hours of that delivery, the sooner the better. If the PoPI cannot be
scheduled within that time frame, you should delay the car delivery and payment.

Upon delivery of the car all body issues are somewhat negotiable. Car dent? Car dirty? Touch up
paint? CarMax advertises that it details all cars before delivery, this is your opportunity to hold
them to their word. The better you can negotiate, the better your car will initially look in your
driveway. A full re-spray is not going to happen but many minor issues can be.

There is no question in my mind that for any used Porsche that an extended warranty is a
absolute neccesity. This is one place that CarMax shines. Calculate how many miles you are
going to put on your new baby over the next 5 years, add some more miles and buy the $50
deductible 5 year warranty. Darn near anything major happens, it costs you $50 to get it fixed. A
bargain. Don’t drive your car out of the dealership without it. Skimping here will definitely cost
you later.

So you’ve taken your new pride and joy to the local Porsche dealer or trusted Indy and woe is
me, there are issues. Make sure that you receive a written report of all the issues with the car. If
you want to return the car and you are within the 72 hour window you will get all your payments
back. If outside that 72 hour window you will get back the amounts you put down on the car plus
the return of the cost of the extended warranty.

If you are bound and determined that this is the car for you, the next step is an ASAP visit to your
local CarMax service center (your sales agent is out of the picture at this point and generally of
little help). Present your list of PoPI issues and make sure you get a copy of their service order
listing every one of the items on your list.

They will either fix the issues or say that they could not find or duplicate them. If they are unable
or unwilling to fix an issue the next step is to go to either another Porsche dealer or to another
Indy to re-verify the issue at hand. If duplicated, CarMax will have no option but to address the
issue.

All of this is somewhat of a time consuming hassle but if you are patient, persistent and willing
to calmly negotiate of your own behalf at the end of the day you will have the car of your dreams
with a 5 year warranty and a happy ending. Good Luck!

Old 03-01-2024, 01:51 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought a 2018 base 971 from Carmax a few years ago too. It was a bit slow for me, but what I really returned it for is a bad carfax. Carmax is careful to NEVER say accident free. They only say no frame damage. Carmax uses Autocheck which was clean, but after noticing a weird spot on the bumper, I paid for a Carfax and there was indeed a wreck. The PPI showed a bit too much rust on the bottom, and it came from florida, making we worry if it was flooded in the recent hurricane back then and maybe the repair didnt make it to carfax. Returning it was super easy. I ordered another car and they let me drive the Porsche until it came. I would shop there again, but pull my own carfax this time. Also their Maxcare is for sure one of the best warranties in the industry. As always buyer beware I guess. Carmax's prices are pretty hit or miss too. My recent purchase was from a dealer but I did look on Carmax as well.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 2018-2019 Panamera 4S - what to look for?