Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2010 4S Right Driver Door Speaker Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 03:53 PM
Cheapo911
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2010 4S Right Driver Door Speaker Rattle

Hey everyone, looking for advice before I go pulling off the door panel (as it was not a fun experience last time).

I have the Bose sound system, and when listening at mid to high volume, certain notes will just rattle the living hell out of the right door panel. I've tried applying pressure to parts of the panel when this happens and it seems to make the noise go away. Any ideas on what it could be specifically? I'm about to just pull the panel off and put sound deadening material all over the panel but would rather not have to do that. Its definitely not a blown speaker as its more of a vibration then anything, but not sure what piece would be causing this vibration. Thanks for any ideas!
Old 02-24-2022, 07:51 AM
healthnut76
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheapo911
Hey everyone, looking for advice before I go pulling off the door panel (as it was not a fun experience last time).

I have the Bose sound system, and when listening at mid to high volume, certain notes will just rattle the living hell out of the right door panel. I've tried applying pressure to parts of the panel when this happens and it seems to make the noise go away. Any ideas on what it could be specifically? I'm about to just pull the panel off and put sound deadening material all over the panel but would rather not have to do that. Its definitely not a blown speaker as its more of a vibration then anything, but not sure what piece would be causing this vibration. Thanks for any ideas!
There's probably something that's out of place and/or been pinched. A clip could also be broken, which can absolutely cause a rattle. Once you have the door panel off, look for anything that's broken or out of place. You'll probably be able to find the culprit. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2022, 09:12 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 84 Posts

I had this problem, the foam holding the speaker was collapsed and allowed for rattle at high volume. I was able to fix it by using some rubber bumpers that you use to keep cupboard doors from banging and placing them in the depressions around the speaker. Not elegant, but it worked
Old 02-24-2022, 10:10 AM
Shrike071
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Rattling speaker almost always means it's blown
Old 02-24-2022, 10:18 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts

FWIW, I interpreted the OP to mean that the speaker was causing resonances in the door panel, leading to rattles on certain notes. Not that the speaker itself was the source of the noise.

There's definitely an aural difference between a blown speaker and resonant rattle in the door, I've had to chase both in my days unfortunately, lol.

Maybe OP can clarify. :shrug:

edit: In fact I had to chase a door panel rattle on this car the week I bought it, although mine was due to a higher frequency resonance on chipseal road surface, not lower frequency speaker resonance. Mine was indeed a (couple) broken clip(s).

Last edited by sac02; 02-24-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:13 PM
Cheapo911
Advanced

Yup its definitely a resonances being caused by certain frequencies. Like I said, applying pressure to the door panel in certain spots (usually pretty firmly) makes the noise go away almost completely. So not likely that its blown, but simply something out of place vibrating. But sounds like I'll be pulling the panel, wish me luck!

Last edited by Cheapo911; 02-24-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:26 PM
adams-s
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what exactly you are talking about, its a rattle not coming from speaker However dealer said so when I took for a visit , you clearly hear on high base volume, Behind the upper door panel you'll find a 6 or 5 metal clips, if you remove them all while your speaker is on, noise will disappear, so have them taped back tight and put the panel back, still I don’t know why that happened tho
Old 02-28-2022, 10:37 PM
Cheapo911
Advanced

Shoot wish I would have saw this before I took the panel off today. Applied a bunch of sound deading to the panel but didnt seem to make much of a difference. Guess its time to check the tabs.

Quick Reply: 2010 4S Right Driver Door Speaker Rattle