Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Need Clarification - E-hybrid charging in North America

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 12:35 PM
jrcrmr
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MKC91
Welcome to a fellow Canadian. There is tons of information here if you have a few hours to kill. :-)

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...rs-thread.html
Thanks! I'll definitely peruse that tonight hehe
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (01-09-2024)
Old 02-28-2022, 11:25 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got a 2018 ST e hybrid with 7.2 kW charger. Does Porsche offer free charging on the road for this whilel still in warranty? Although with 2-4 hour charging time this does not seem very practical?
Old 02-28-2022, 11:29 PM
jrcrmr
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zola3515
Just got a 2018 ST e hybrid with 7.2 kW charger. Does Porsche offer free charging on the road for this whilel still in warranty? Although with 2-4 hour charging time this does not seem very practical?
They do not from what I know.

Regardless, I don't think you should approach it as an electric car first. See it as a has car first with the electric battery as a supplement because it's not designed for high speed charging as you mentioned.

My plan is to be just on battery for standard going around town, errands, gym, etc.. And use hybrid for long road trips...
​​​​​​And maybe sports plus when I want to really experience the Porsche difference.. Well, more than usual anyway hehe
The following 2 users liked this post by jrcrmr:
16PanaHybrid (03-01-2022), MKC91 (03-01-2022)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:43 PM
Onesunnybeach
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orca15
Just a couple of fill-ins-

On household 120V (regular plug) you'll never utilize the 7.2, it will never get that high. 120V times 15Amp = 1.8kW, way below 7.2, Thats the rate, with the 14kWH battery, like 16Pana said, around 10 hours to fill up, with losses - 1.8kW x 10 hours = 18kWh.

So to use the 7.2, you get an electrician to install a 240V plug. Generally, like a dryer plug, but there are several versions based on 30 or 50A, 3 or 4 wire- any one will work. Check the math - 240V x 30A = 7.2kW, which matches your car charger's max power rating. Just install a socket that matches your EVSE plug, or buy a EVSE charger that matches your socket. Porsche sells replacement plugs for the delivered EvSE but they are expensive - cheaper to match the socket to the plug.

From the plug, as noted, you need EVSE which monitors the power and protects the car's charger. Car comes with one, which looks like a giant laptop charger. I installed an "aftermarket" Juicebox 40, for various reasons which include rebates from the power company since they can shut it off in a power shortage. It also had a much longer cable allowing me to hang it from the ceiling down the middle of my garage It also has a max Amp setting, since my plug circuit is shared with other stuff, I can throttle it down if needed (hasn't needed it yet).

Finally, purely academically, none of what we are talking about has to do with DC superchargers which are only used by pure EV cars like Tesla or Taycan. Much of the existing infrastructure (at a gas station, for example) is Tesla which you can't use, but stuff is popping up and if has a J1772 plug that matched your car, is safe. Many apps will help you locate it.

HTH
Hey Orca, great info..thank you.
So if you have an eg Cayenne with a 3.6kwh charger, I heard of a device where you can hook up to two different 110v outlets (each has their own breaker) so you can max out the charge/half the charging time.
Can you pls comment on that.

Also can the build in 3.6kwh be replaced with a 7.2kwh one?
Anyone heard about this?
I assume yes, and I also assume it's too expensive?

I heard when buying the car (2017/2018)new it was supposed to be around a $2000 cad upgrade fee vom.3.6 to 7.2
Old 01-08-2024, 11:14 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Sorry, I’ve never heard of a dual charger. Even if one exists, I think I would first recommend getting a 220V third party charger if you can stomach the $400 and the cost to install a plug. That’ll provide all the power your car wants and the car will throttle as needed, plus you’ll likely get an app to monitor it and be able to leave the 110 charger in the car for trips. Having a long cable permanently ready to pull down from the ceiling or wall and plug in is a real boon.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:41 AM
Onesunnybeach
Cruisin'

Sorry, I’ve never heard of a dual charger. Even if one exists, I think I would first recommend getting a 220V third party charger if you can stomach the $400 and the cost to install a plug. That’ll provide all the power your car wants and the car will throttle as needed, plus you’ll likely get an app to monitor it and be able to leave the 110 charger in the car for trips. Having a long cable permanently ready to pull down from the ceiling or wall and plug in is a real boon.
Thanks for your answer, I agree. I missed to say I don't have 240v at my stand alone garage and would need to pay an electrician to run 240v to my garage which will be expensive, that's why I thought take the 110v of the garage and then run an outdoor extension cord of another 110v circuit to the garage , plugging both into that device and so I will max out my charging power.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:32 AM
orca15
Pro

Fair enough. And there’s a chance 110 charging will suit you. I’ve used it on trips where I found a plug in the hotel garage, and if you start at 8PM you will not have a full charge (on my 17kwh battery) by the next morning from empty. But if you have a little left and plug in at 4Pm, it’ll be near full. So depending on your use case it may be OK. And with the smaller car charger, you’re not going to drive-charge-drive in a single day anyway.
Onesunnybeach (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 06:27 PM
Onesunnybeach
Cruisin'

Default Planning to go on a long trip...

Let's say I would be gone for about 3 months, do I either just charge up the battery and disconnect or can I/should I leave the car charger plug in the car for the whole time?
does it work like a trickle charger after the batteries are full?

Maybe the Porsche original charger does it or there are third party chargers which do?

Does any of you know about this/have experiences around this?
Thanks
Old 01-10-2024, 05:48 PM
orca15
Pro

I really think the regular car battery only charges from the EV battery when the car is on, but I can't prove it. Well, sort of, you can see when you turn the car on the regular battery gets extra voltage for a bit. So I would attach a trickle charger to the car battery. And for me, I would leave the car charger going as well. Edit: I think you are supposed to leave the EV around 80% for best storage, I think I read that in the manual.

Last edited by orca15; 01-12-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:59 PM
Onesunnybeach
Cruisin'

I really think the regular car battery only charges from the EV battery when the car is on, but I can't prove it. Well, sort of, you can see when you turn the car on the regular battery gets extra voltage for a bit. So I would attach a trickle charger to the car battery. And for me, I would leave the car charger going as well.
So you would have a trickle charger on the regular battery and also have the EV charger?
Old 01-10-2024, 07:03 PM
orca15
Pro

Originally Posted by Onesunnybeach
So you would have a trickle charger on the regular battery and also have the EV charger?
Definitely the trickle charger. I think I’ve heard that you should store the EV at 80% or something, so maybe that can be skipped. Should last months.
I’m almost certain nothing draws from the EV while off.
Onesunnybeach (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 09:21 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have owned a 2018 4Ehst and a 2023 with the larger battery. I charged the 2018 with smaller battery overnight on 110V which mostly worked. I knew this would not be satisfactory with the bigger 18kWhr battery and am very happy with the 240 V charger. Don’t bother to charge on long trips unless you are overnight. The e hybrid still gives you about a 25% mileage enhancement on long trips. As someone else said, the e hybrid is the Swiss Army knife of Porsches - smooth and elegant and ecological in town and raucous when needed. Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by Zola3515:
MKC91 (01-15-2024), Onesunnybeach (01-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Need Clarification - E-hybrid charging in North America