Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo vs M8 Gran Coupe Competition

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021 | 09:43 PM
harrish1985
Advanced

Default Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo vs M8 Gran Coupe Competition

I've had my Panamera Turbo ST since March and it's a great car. Plenty of room, power etc. It's a 2018 with 20k miles and the warranty runs out in April of 2022 which is a bit of concern for me. I have few other cars coming in soon but I've always been drawn to the M8, esp. the Gran Coupe. I guess largely for it's super aggressive look and the fact that it has super car performance levels. I've had many BMWs in the past including (E46 M3 ZCP, 7 series, M760, 6 series and presently have an X7 M50i). I like the infotainment and the tech is great. The tech in the Panamera is great as well. Especially Google maps and the large PCM screens. I can get an amazing deal on a '20 M8 Gran Coupe in a beautiful color but wanted to get feedback from others who may have had experience with both. The draw for me on the M8 is longer warranty period and more power. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 11-27-2021 | 09:44 PM
harrish1985
Advanced

I should add the M8 I'm looking at is the competition version with virtually every option.
Old 11-28-2021 | 08:20 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harrish1985
I should add the M8 I'm looking at is the competition version with virtually every option.
I have gone back and forth between the two brands quite frequently. Most recently I came out of an f90m5(140k msrp) for the panny st turbo. I drove the m8 comp on the track at at the bmw center in NC also. My m5 was tuned to 800hp and had an akrapovic exhaust. Aside from exactly what you mention, better tech in terms of car play not dropping out and slightly updated screens and wireless charging as well as straight line acceleration I found the Panny to win hands down for me. The driving dynamics of a Porsche just can’t be beat in my option. That “special sauce” is the feel of the car that just can’t be replicated. The balanced handing back the much stiffer ride of the M5 was also a huge win for me. My m5 I would stay in comfort 9/10 times because it was harsh in sport (plus). My Panamera I can drive in all three suspension settings comfortably.

overall I would drive them back to back and see what it is that you want. Better real life acceleration and some updated tech or a better handling ride with poise. Granted you give up some straight line speed but are you hitting lots of traffic lights opposed to m8s now and don’t like losing the sprint to the next light?! In the real world 550hp does just fine!

good luck either car is a winner for sure.
Old 11-28-2021 | 09:39 AM
harrish1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hams911
I have gone back and forth between the two brands quite frequently. Most recently I came out of an f90m5(140k msrp) for the panny st turbo. I drove the m8 comp on the track at at the bmw center in NC also. My m5 was tuned to 800hp and had an akrapovic exhaust. Aside from exactly what you mention, better tech in terms of car play not dropping out and slightly updated screens and wireless charging as well as straight line acceleration I found the Panny to win hands down for me. The driving dynamics of a Porsche just can’t be beat in my option. That “special sauce” is the feel of the car that just can’t be replicated. The balanced handing back the much stiffer ride of the M5 was also a huge win for me. My m5 I would stay in comfort 9/10 times because it was harsh in sport (plus). My Panamera I can drive in all three suspension settings comfortably.

overall I would drive them back to back and see what it is that you want. Better real life acceleration and some updated tech or a better handling ride with poise. Granted you give up some straight line speed but are you hitting lots of traffic lights opposed to m8s now and don’t like losing the sprint to the next light?! In the real world 550hp does just fine!

good luck either car is a winner for sure.
Thanks for the detailed info! I’m going to run the numbers Monday but it seems like the M8 Comp. is a better deal.
Old 11-28-2021 | 06:23 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

I wouldn't trade a Porsche for a BMW. When the newness of the BMW wears off I will be longing for a Porsche again. You've had the ST for a while and that's what's prompting the change. But you're at the top of the food chain. Nothing else compares. I'd CPO my car or upgrade to the refresh. My two cents.
The following 3 users liked this post by EmMHoLLa:
911sccab (11-29-2021), pokingaround (12-03-2021), Tags63 (12-20-2021)
Old 11-28-2021 | 07:21 PM
harrish1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa
I wouldn't trade a Porsche for a BMW. When the newness of the BMW wears off I will be longing for a Porsche again. You've had the ST for a while and that's what's prompting the change. But you're at the top of the food chain. Nothing else compares. I'd CPO my car or upgrade to the refresh. My two cents.
Thank you. I appreciate the input. I’ve had several BMWs (all high end models) and I’ll add that fit / quality / finish is on par with the Panamera. The disappointing factor on the BMW is resale. I have a ‘22 911 GTS coming in as well as a few other exotics including G63 so I’ll always go back and forth. My main intent is to get real world feedback from people that have driven both / own both or have considered both the Panamera and M8 GC Comp.
Old 11-29-2021 | 12:33 AM
Derived
Cruisin'

My 2 cents...even a fully loaded M8 GC Comp w/every option is still essentially just a 5 series underneath. It's absolute farthest that platform gets pushed. Whereas a Panamera is a nearly bespoke platform that's only shared with Bentley. To me, it's immediately evident that it's a vastly more expensive car in build quality and fit/finish. I have not driven the M8 GC but I have driven a Turbo S Sport Turismo and I find it hard to imagine the BMW would be a more involving, more enjoyable car to drive. Overall, I think you get what you pay for. Not that the M8 is a bad car in any way, not even close. But I think the Panamera more than justifies its price...and even compared to its true rivals, the 7 Series and S Class, I think it's the superior car. That platform was designed to underpin possibly the best $275-$300k cars on the market (Continental/Flying Spur) - and it shows IMO.

I say all this as a huge BMW fan.
The following users liked this post:
Tags63 (12-20-2021)
Old 11-29-2021 | 02:24 AM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Thank you. I appreciate the input. I’ve had several BMWs (all high end models) and I’ll add that fit / quality / finish is on par with the Panamera. The disappointing factor on the BMW is resale. I have a ‘22 911 GTS coming in as well as a few other exotics including G63 so I’ll always go back and forth. My main intent is to get real world feedback from people that have driven both / own both or have considered both the Panamera and M8 GC Comp.
Allow me to qualify my pov. I currently own a Lambo Huracan, Panamera Turbo, Cayenne GTS Coupe, and a BMW X5 (wife drives). I owned and then sold my g63. Prior tl that I had a Panamera Turbo that unfortunately was totaled in an accident. Prior to that I had an m6 gc and before that a Panamera 4S. Two of my buddies own m8 gc's one tuned, the other Stock. I've driven both car and they don't tick the boxes for me like the panamera. Porsche's feel like they are carved out of one big piece of metal. That feel is distinctly Porsche. The M8 although a capable car in my opinion is a step beneath the panamera as a driver's car. If you're looking for tech then go with the bimmer. But from a driver's perspective I'd go with the Panamera.
The following 2 users liked this post by EmMHoLLa:
911sccab (11-29-2021), Hams911 (12-03-2021)
Old 11-29-2021 | 11:25 AM
harrish1985
Advanced

Thank you for the valuable feedback. I appreciate it!

I'm not discounting one brand or another and my intent is not to justify my inclination for wanting to lean towards the M8 but the fact is the following:

Panamera shares platform with Audi A7 which also shares platform with Bentley models. BMW engines are interchanged as well. The upcoming '22 / '23 Range Rover has the 4.4L V8 TT from BMW. I guess for me it's about what has the best value. If I can get more than what I paid for the Panamera and buy an M8 GC below market average and have a couple of years of warranty that checks the boxes for me. The fit / finish / build of the Panamera is very nice but I also found the fit / finish / build of the higher end BMWs I owned nice as well. Yes, I agree the M8 shares very similar ques to the 5 series but I can alternatively draw the same conclusion about a base Macan / Panamera or Cayenne sharing similar ques. I guess time will tell!
Old 11-29-2021 | 08:20 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

I'm not discounting one brand or another and my intent is not to justify my inclination for wanting to lean towards the M8 but the fact is the following:

Panamera shares platform with Audi A7 which also shares platform with Bentley models. BMW engines are interchanged as well. The upcoming '22 / '23 Range Rover has the 4.4L V8 TT from BMW. I guess for me it's about what has the best value. If I can get more than what I paid for the Panamera and buy an M8 GC below market average and have a couple of years of warranty that checks the boxes for me. The fit / finish / build of the Panamera is very nice but I also found the fit / finish / build of the higher end BMWs I owned nice as well. Yes, I agree the M8 shares very similar ques to the 5 series but I can alternatively draw the same conclusion about a base Macan / Panamera or Cayenne sharing similar ques. I guess time will tell!
Understood. The M8 is a fine automobile. At this level there really isn't any wrong way to go all things considered. Good luck on your purchase! Report back with feedback once you've been able to get some seat time. Cheers!
Old 12-03-2021 | 12:04 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

@harrish1985 if you're a chronic switcher/trader have you thought about a Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo? Quick as a bullet, instant torque, Porsche quality, etc etc etc. Also expensive as hell but given your stable that doesn't seem to be much of an issue if it's what you want.
Old 12-03-2021 | 12:17 PM
harrish1985
Advanced

I've driven the Taycan on the track and wasn't too impressed. I'm not into EVs (at least yet) and the artificial sound is a turn off.
Old 12-04-2021 | 05:21 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

I've driven the Taycan on the track and wasn't too impressed. I'm not into EVs (at least yet) and the artificial sound is a turn off.
I hear you.
The following users liked this post:
911sccab (12-16-2021)
Old 12-08-2021 | 12:23 AM
Derived
Cruisin'

The Panamera is on a completely different platform from the A7, called MSB, shared only with the Flying Spur/Continental GT. A vastly better platform than the one that underpins pretty much every other VAG product (MLB) such as all the Audi sedans/SUVs. In fact VAG wanted Porsche to build the Panamera on the same platform as the new A8, Porsche refused, and apparently Audi was quite annoyed by this...but Porsche and Bentley knew they could do better.
Old 12-08-2021 | 06:39 AM
gougoul
Advanced

Yes indeed, the A6/A7 are built on the same platform as much of the rest of VAG products. Some familiarities are weird... Q7 is based on A4 (hence the non electrically adjustable headrests on the Bentayga that builts on the Q7 platform... first world problems I know).
However all Panamera engines are VAG common-fare, which if you think of it makes it less exclusive than MBs 4 litres or BMWs...The fact that the Panamera/GTCs are the only ones with a PDK gearbox is cool, even if it's a very limiting factor for the Hybrid Turbo S that could have way more torque...

But then again, if you're really after a "bespoke" platform, nothing will beat a GTC4 but there the gearbox comes from the Portofino, the engine is a detuned 812s etc... gnnhh.

Quick Reply: Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo vs M8 Gran Coupe Competition