Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

PCM 3.1 failure - Panamera S

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021 | 08:40 AM
Osbmonas
1st Gear

Question PCM 3.1 failure - Panamera S

Hello all,

I am recent owner of a Porsche Panamera S - Yr: 2014. I bought it as second hand since there is only 33,000 miles and the car is in exquisite shape. Its practically new inside and out.
However, there is one main problem: The PCM (Bose amp included) is dead (well thats what the ex-owner told me) and need to order new one. I checked at the local Porsche store and its costing A-LOT but before I do so, I wanted to check with you all who had similar experience that this is only way out there.

So, the PCM problem is:
  • Blank (black) screen, it does not turn on at all
  • I tried pressing on the control *****, but nothing
  • The PCM seems to be stuck in a loop, i hear a tick tick tick, from the CD changer that keeps running and running
  • Nothing works, I have no audio at all in the car
  • Each time I hear the loop and see that the lights around the PCM (info, map, sound etc) loses power for a few seconds and it goes back on again.
  • On my driver console, I see ''phone'' and ''audio'' but it does not respond to any commande on the wheel controls or the PCM itself
What I did:
  • It came to my knowledge that the PCM doing this ''tick tick tick'' sound like the CD changer reloading endlessly and was consuming my battery (yes I sat down in the car and locked it). So i removed the fuse to stop that.
  • I looked online to see if there was somthing to do like the hard reset option: "press info for 10 seconds'' etc but the screen is black so it does not respond to any of the commands
  • I removed the negative from the battery for 5mins and tried again, but the PCM is stuck in the same behavior mentioned above.
So, my question to you all, is replacing the PCM module the only way out? Is there something I can do to avoid this?

Thank you for your response.

Last edited by Osbmonas; 11-23-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2021 | 09:39 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Osbmonas
Hello all,

I am recent owner of a Porsche Panamera S - Yr: 2014. I bought it as second hand since there is only 33,000 miles and the car is in exquisite shape. Its practically new inside and out.
However, there is one main problem: The PCM (Bose amp included) is dead (well thats what the ex-owner told me) and need to order new one. I checked at the local Porsche store and its costing A-LOT but before I do so, I wanted to check with you all who had similar experience that this is only way out there.

So, the PCM problem is:
  • Blank (black) screen, it does not turn on at all
  • I tried pressing on the control *****, but nothing
  • The PCM seems to be stuck in a loop, i hear a tick tick tick, from the CD changer that keeps running and running
  • Nothing works, I have no audio at all in the car
  • Each time I hear the loop and see that the lights around the PCM (info, map, sound etc) loses power for a few seconds and it goes back on again.
  • On my driver console, I see ''phone'' and ''audio'' but it does not respond to any commande on the wheel controls or the PCM itself
What I did:
  • It came to my knowledge that the PCM doing this ''tick tick tick'' sound like the CD changer reloading endlessly and was consuming my battery (yes I sat down in the car and locked it). So i removed the fuse to stop that.
  • I looked online to see if there was somthing to do like the hard reset option: "press info for 10 seconds'' etc but the screen is black so it does not respond to any of the commands
  • I removed the negative from the battery for 5mins and tried again, but the PCM is stuck in the same behavior mentioned above.
So, my question to you all, is replacing the PCM module the only way out? Is there something I can do to avoid this?

Thank you for your response.
There are a ton of threads related to PCM failure. There is a hard drive in there that once failed will cause this problem. There is a repair facility in England which will fix it. If you are handy and somewhat computer saavy you can replace the hd with a SSD and reload the software from an update disk, an image of which is also available on threads here. You will lose your activation codes but a dealer can re-enter those quickly once you get your PCM working.
Old 11-23-2021 | 01:20 PM
Shrike071
Racer

The ticking sounds like the heads on the drive searching for the correct data. Most likely a HD failure and can be DIY'd as mentioned above
Old 12-16-2021 | 01:10 PM
Rosbap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
There are a ton of threads related to PCM failure. There is a hard drive in there that once failed will cause this problem. There is a repair facility in England which will fix it. If you are handy and somewhat computer saavy you can replace the hd with a SSD and reload the software from an update disk, an image of which is also available on threads here. You will lose your activation codes but a dealer can re-enter those quickly once you get your PCM working.
hey rbrunelle,
do you have a link for the place in England that does the repair. My hdd is broken, would like to see if I can get a repair instead of a new unit from the dealer $$$$
Old 12-17-2021 | 12:41 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

If it’s just the hard drive, there’s no need to send it away. The instructions here are simple. If you have SATA drive, it’s really easy, partition the drive, then copy the software. If it’s an IDE drive it’s also possible It just requires special hardware. Google for the repair place I don’t have the link.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 failure - Panamera S