Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2014 Panamera S e-hybrid Battery Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 03:03 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

The 971 did not come out until 2016 so almost all will still be under warranty. Possibly, insufficient data to determine, the 992 addressed the electronics or cooling issues which result in much less than normal life for the HV battery. I imagine, again unknown, that the replacement cost of the porsche battery pack is equally obscene compared to equivalent size packs in other hybrids.

Porsche does not want you to fix your Panamera, they want you to buy a new one. 8 years ago, knowledgeable buyers of 970 hybrids would have realized that the HV battery will eventually need replacement. What no one could have rightly imagined is that a $2,500 battery replacement would actually cost $25,000 after the Porsche tax. The 971 hybrid owners may face the same harsh reality soon.

Last edited by amphicar770; 01-27-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:57 PM
Buckeyesfl
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a quick update on our Panamera and our local Orlando Porsche dealership. In August of 2017 we purchased a used 2014 Panamera Hybrid with 23,000 miles on it from an auto broker, who is a good friend of ours. In June of 2019 the HV battery died and after 30 days of negotiating with the Porsche dealership they replaced the battery under warranty. At the time they said a new battery would cost $40,000 which is why they had to get approval from Germany. Last month, January of 2023, the battery would not start so Porsche towed it to the dealership and told us we need a new battery at a cost of $40,000 because the battery is not covered under our extended warranty plan we purchased from the Porsche dealership. The warranty says Porsche on the letterhead and when I asked they wouldn't tell me the underwriter of the warranty. We have 19,600 miles on the car since the last, "new" battery was installed. I called Porsche America and they told us there wasn't anything they could do to help us offset the cost of the battery.

Fast forward and after visiting the dealership and speaking with the Service Manager, 2 weeks later they come back and say the best they can do is a "new" battery for $9,200, all in. The are offering a 2-year/unlimited mileage warranty with the battery. The "new" battery they installed in 2019 is a "remanufactured battery" (their words in writing) and the $9,200 I'm about to spend is also for a "remanufactured battery." I asked to speak with the GM and the Service Manager said he was fully aware of the situation so there was no need to speak with him. I am consulting my attorney now to see if I have any recourse Does anyone have a recommendation on what options we might have? Given the history of the problems I've read about on their HV batteries how does Porsche keep getting away with this? We've already steered 2 friends away from even visiting this Porsche dealership. Thank you for all of the help that has been provided.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:53 PM
Thinker
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeyesfl
So a quick update on our Panamera and our local Orlando Porsche dealership. In August of 2017 we purchased a used 2014 Panamera Hybrid with 23,000 miles on it from an auto broker, who is a good friend of ours. In June of 2019 the HV battery died and after 30 days of negotiating with the Porsche dealership they replaced the battery under warranty. At the time they said a new battery would cost $40,000 which is why they had to get approval from Germany. Last month, January of 2023, the battery would not start so Porsche towed it to the dealership and told us we need a new battery at a cost of $40,000 because the battery is not covered under our extended warranty plan we purchased from the Porsche dealership. The warranty says Porsche on the letterhead and when I asked they wouldn't tell me the underwriter of the warranty. We have 19,600 miles on the car since the last, "new" battery was installed. I called Porsche America and they told us there wasn't anything they could do to help us offset the cost of the battery.

Fast forward and after visiting the dealership and speaking with the Service Manager, 2 weeks later they come back and say the best they can do is a "new" battery for $9,200, all in. The are offering a 2-year/unlimited mileage warranty with the battery. The "new" battery they installed in 2019 is a "remanufactured battery" (their words in writing) and the $9,200 I'm about to spend is also for a "remanufactured battery." I asked to speak with the GM and the Service Manager said he was fully aware of the situation so there was no need to speak with him. I am consulting my attorney now to see if I have any recourse Does anyone have a recommendation on what options we might have? Given the history of the problems I've read about on their HV batteries how does Porsche keep getting away with this? We've already steered 2 friends away from even visiting this Porsche dealership. Thank you for all of the help that has been provided.
Search for lemon law attorneys in your area and contact three of them. Even though it may not fall under Lemon Law, these are the types of attorneys that could help you. If you search for auto or car lawyers, you're only going to come across accident attorneys. Also, Porsche will only change if they have to deal with many lawsuits. If they lose a customer here and there, they won't care.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:25 AM
amphicar770
Racer

Originally Posted by Thinker
Search for lemon law attorneys in your area and contact three of them. Even though it may not fall under Lemon Law, these are the types of attorneys that could help you. If you search for auto or car lawyers, you're only going to come across accident attorneys. Also, Porsche will only change if they have to deal with many lawsuits. If they lose a customer here and there, they won't care.
It does seem like there is a possible class action lawsuit here. My neighbors Jaguar diesel was just repaired, well past warranty, as a result of a class action suit related to failure of something with riming chains (an expensive, engine out job). In that case, Jaguar covers the cost on a prorated basis .

Last edited by amphicar770; 02-11-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 05:56 PM
Porsche 14
1st Gear

Default Need ur help

Originally Posted by peterb77
I have read this forum for years but I have only just registered and this is my first post, so sorry if this is the wrong place moderators, it just seemed appropriate............

I have a 2014 Panamera S e-hybrid (USA), just gone through 100k miles. The hybrid battery sucks now and I want to attempt to replace the cells. I can't get the battery cell chemistry or specs or the battery pack specs, so if anyone can help me track down the information I'll post the step by step process to safely crack open the battery pack and replace the cells.

Costs; At 9.4Kw I assume it will have 240 or so cells and even with top end certified cells in small quantities they can't be more than $10 per cell (hoping it's older chemistry @ $7 per cell), a decent handheld dual pulse spot welder should be around $500 (if I can't rent one) for the tabs ($50 for top of the line), if the bus bars are corroded badly they'll need replacing too (may be $250 tops). I think the maximum cost will be $3200, but it's likely to be $2000 (exceeding Porsche quality) and could be as low as $1400 (if I can get a bulk deal on the cells and the bus bars are good).

I will assume the car will know somethings up when the battery system is refurbished and Porsche dealer programming will want there $1000 slice of pie (but maybe not, who knows). However this may be avoidable; I'm planning on having to keep some of the battery circuits "alive" when the battery pack is removed from the car to help avoid this (thinking it will be 12v with easy to replicate resistance), Any ideas on this would be appreciated. The battery pack may also have circuitry the needs to be kept "alive", can't think why but your insights are welcome.

Normally I would think this is a crap idea but I really like this car and want to keep my emissions down (trying to be green), I just don't think it's worth paying the dealer 12k plus (USD) for a new battery (the same power battery, brand new, for a Prius is 2k installed).

Thanks for reading
I need your help you saying you know how to rebuild the hybrid battery
Old 04-05-2023, 08:42 PM
brosch3
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought a tesla in December after selling my faulty panamera and I am super happy now. It's not tesla I'm happy about but that I dont need to deal with problematic porsche anymore. New taycan would make me similarly happy.

I believe that decision to sell car at a little loss rather than fighting (which means spending time) or fixing (also spending time and money) is the best decision I made in this situation. I'd better focus on family or job where can earn money more effectively rather than trying to save the same amount money.
screw porsche.
The following users liked this post:
amphicar770 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 01:56 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Originally Posted by brosch3
I've bought a tesla in December after selling my faulty panamera and I am super happy now. It's not tesla I'm happy about but that I dont need to deal with problematic porsche anymore. New taycan would make me similarly happy.

I believe that decision to sell car at a little loss rather than fighting (which means spending time) or fixing (also spending time and money) is the best decision I made in this situation. I'd better focus on family or job where can earn money more effectively rather than trying to save the same amount money.
screw porsche.
@PeterB I have to agree with @brosch3

If your battery has not totally crapped out, unload it now even if it means taking a loss.

There are simply no good 3rd party options and the pack is not designed to be safely rebuilt by a DIYer. Enough people have been through this to demonstrate that once out of federally mandated warranty you can expect nothing more than an FU and a $28k bill from Porsche so they can profit off your misfortune.

In many ways I considered my Panamera hybrid to be a fabulous car. But, much like any mistress the risks and cost are not sustainable. I too sold mine while it was still in good shape and battery still good. I just did not want to risk needing a repair worth more than the car on top of all the other expensive things likely to fail like the air suspension.

Like @brosch3 I have now gone full EV having purchased a Polestar 2 with Performance pack.package. it is absolutely spectacular and I too am done with Porsche as there are many other things I would prefer to spend $$$ on besides overpriced car repairs and maintenance. Sure, the Polestar may need an expensive battery in ten years, but it cost far less to purchase than the Panamers and is likely to need far fewer repairs and service in the coming years.

I hated selling mine, but quickly realized that doing so was one of the smartest decisions I have ever made.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:33 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Does plugging in the main battery charger also keep the engine start battery charged or do I need to put a trickle charger on the car as well through the auxiliary lighter plug?
Old 04-08-2023, 05:31 PM
Thinker
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amphicar770
@PeterB I have to agree with @brosch3

If your battery has not totally crapped out, unload it now even if it means taking a loss.

There are simply no good 3rd party options and the pack is not designed to be safely rebuilt by a DIYer. Enough people have been through this to demonstrate that once out of federally mandated warranty you can expect nothing more than an FU and a $28k bill from Porsche so they can profit off your misfortune.

In many ways I considered my Panamera hybrid to be a fabulous car. But, much like any mistress the risks and cost are not sustainable. I too sold mine while it was still in good shape and battery still good. I just did not want to risk needing a repair worth more than the car on top of all the other expensive things likely to fail like the air suspension.

Like @brosch3 I have now gone full EV having purchased a Polestar 2 with Performance pack.package. it is absolutely spectacular and I too am done with Porsche as there are many other things I would prefer to spend $$$ on besides overpriced car repairs and maintenance. Sure, the Polestar may need an expensive battery in ten years, but it cost far less to purchase than the Panamers and is likely to need far fewer repairs and service in the coming years.

I hated selling mine, but quickly realized that doing so was one of the smartest decisions I have ever made.
I hear you and I'm in that boat. I'm not rich and always dreamed of having a Porsche. After saving a lot of money, I bought the Panamera thinking I would keep it as long as I kept my previous C-class Mercedes. I also bought that car used and kept it for 6 years until it was a 10-year old car. Never gave me issues other than the maintenance. Once I started having problems with the Panamera I thought I would just keep it while I still had the CPO warranty. But now I'm looking into getting something different even before that because I can't deal with all of the issues it has given me, even if covered under warranty. It's not even worth the hassle and the lack of reliability.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:19 PM
Natanael
2nd Gear

Default Found this, after just receiving the Hybrid Failure Message

Old 05-18-2023, 11:35 PM
fantomphixer
8th Gear

could use a bit more information
Old 05-19-2023, 04:05 PM
Natanael
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by fantomphixer
could use a bit more information
Alababa has in stock the replacement cells for the 970 Ehybrid. For $2,644
Old 05-19-2023, 11:14 PM
sunnyc123abc
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That cell looks like the same cell I need for my 2012 Panamera hybrid which use 60 NIMH battery cells. I believe a 2015 plug in hybrid uses lithium battery pack. Im planning on replacing all the battery cells in the future. It seems pretty straight forward to do it

[

QUOTE=Natanael;18810876]
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-21-2023, 09:12 PM
amphicar770
Racer

2014 onward is LiIon.

These are welded tab packs requiring highly specialized equipment to remove and replace the cells. You can easily blow yourself and your house into a fire ball explosion if you don't know what you are doing.

Last edited by amphicar770; 05-22-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:26 AM
kaelisrah
2nd Gear

Are you still working on a solution for the cell replacement?

Quick Reply: 2014 Panamera S e-hybrid Battery Refurb