971 Panamera: Remove Rear Tailgate Trim PORSCHE logo

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 08:21 PM
motodave4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 971 Panamera: Remove Rear Tailgate Trim PORSCHE logo

Hello,

just purchased the Rear Tailgate Trim with PORSCHE in Black from Suncoast. Looks like it’s four clips but also appears to have a central “stub” which would appear to accept a screw.

wondering if anyone has removed one of these before? It fits all 971 models. Trying to undertake the swap myself. My specific model is a 4S Turismo

Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU971PORSCHEBLK.html

Old 09-30-2021, 01:52 AM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts

I bought the black letters and scraped off the chrome ones. It looks like you can access the screws through the emergency triangle holding place. Do the holes line up with the piece that you received? You will like the look of a clean rear end.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:59 AM
motodave4
Intermediate

They don’t line up with the center screw tab. I believe they are part of removing the entire liner which I’m looking to avoid. Yours looks nice!

bTW can you send a picture of what is in that compartment in the lid? Mine is empty. Wondering if since no battery or Burmeister those things are under the trunk floor? Or the dealer owes me some emergency parts.

Last edited by motodave4; 09-30-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:31 AM
E39Nutz
Pro

Originally Posted by motodave4
They don’t line up with the center screw tab. I believe they are part of removing the entire liner which I’m looking to avoid. Yours looks nice!

bTW can you send a picture of what is in that compartment in the lid? Mine is empty. Wondering if since no battery or Burmeister those things are under the trunk floor? Or the dealer owes me some emergency parts.
I was hoping you can get by without taking off the tailgate liner. There is very little info online to show you how. You can subscribe to the Porsche TIS ($14 for an hour) and look for schematics on how to take off the liner. It will be money well spent to minimize the frustration and chance of breaking other things.

The rectangular compartment there is for the emergency triangle. Sadly, they took it out for cars shipped to the US. If you do European delivery, you would have found it in there.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Dwight3000
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is installed from the top. Raise spoiler, remove trim pieces above it, one bolt holds it in place plus metal push snaps.
When removing trim pieces note how they fit in so the center piece is flat.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:00 PM
Dwight3000
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Saw you had an ST. Previous instructions were for the sedan.
Not sure about how to get at it with an ST.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:01 AM
Mattk11

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone has the old chrome Porsche letters from a 971 that you removed, please let me know. I am looking for some. Thanks
Old 10-01-2021, 03:01 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is a video on how to get to it

The following users liked this post:
motodave4 (10-09-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 10:20 PM
motodave4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy Liu
Here is a video on how to get to it

https://youtu.be/4I2Ei0JmTxU
yes that’s the sedan (hatchback) mine is the Sport Turismo wagon. Hope it’s similarly simple.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:50 PM
motodave4
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice and videos everyone. The sedan video gave me the confidence to pull on some stuff a bit. Great snap connectors none broke and all went right back in place.

skill required: 1/10
bravery required: 2/10

tools required:

Wife’s LEAST favorite butter knife and blue tape
T20 Torx bit
3mm hex

result looks amazing.

ill try to update with video as it does not seem to allow one on direct upload.

directions:

open panel on rear trunk
remove two t20 torx screws
remove both bump stops with 3mm hex release and pull
begin releasing rear panel from sides and/or pull down on the inner road triangle mount inside the flap to release panel.

disconnect the wires

pop out foam insert

unscrew central t20 torx which holds logo

release Porsche logo from sides by GENTLY prying on right and left side. It takes VERY little effort.

replace logo.

insert t20 torx mindful you are self tapping the plastic on the new logo bar.

reinstall panel.

Admire at the rear of your Panamera while enjoying you beverage of choice!
Attached Images  

Last edited by motodave4; 10-09-2021 at 04:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by motodave4:
E39Nutz (10-17-2021), Nickshu (08-24-2022), Smileycanuck (08-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2021, 04:58 PM
motodave4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mattk11
If anyone has the old chrome Porsche letters from a 971 that you removed, please let me know. I am looking for some. Thanks
I have the old one wrapped up and ready to ship in the same box I received mine from Suncoast. DM me if you want to discuss. New one was about $250.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:19 PM
Mattk11

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, only need the letters, not the entire trim piece.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:50 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

I have the chrome letters, all cleaned up, and residual double sided tape removed. DM me if you are interested. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:17 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 639 Posts

Thanks for this thread. The "PORSCHE" panel on my new-to-me 2018 Panamera Turbo Sport Tourismo was scratched up. I first replaced just the letters (to go from chrome to black) but during that I realized how scratched up the panel itself was. The car only has 12K miles but the PO must have closed the hatch with his/her hand (assuming with jewelry on) rather that using the power close as I don't see how it could be so scratched up.

Anyhow this thread made it easy. I will say that I ended up drilling out the center retaining screw hold as trying to self tap it I felt like I was going to break it so I opened it up a little bit.

Cheers!
Old 08-07-2023, 09:23 PM
ergray3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight3000
It is installed from the top. Raise spoiler, remove trim pieces above it, one bolt holds it in place plus metal push snaps.
When removing trim pieces note how they fit in so the center piece is flat.
I stumbled over these instructions a bit. I wanted to put some info on for anyone who, like me, came looking for how to replace this trim piece in the future. My Panamera is the hatchback/regular version. Once you remove the trim pieces below the spoiler (held in by 2 T20 screws, 1 T25 screw, and 6 central pin push clips as in the video on this thread) there is no additional screw holding in the trim piece directly. It is held in by four clips and a metal horseshoe retainer which is held in place by this T25 bolt:

I spent quite a bit of time and busted knuckles looking for a screw here, but there wasn't one:

Instead there is a black metal horse shoe retainer held by the vertically oriented T25 screw arrowed above which lifts out freely once you unbolt that central trim piece. That horseshoe slides into the notches in the end of the protruding piece here, so remove it before popping the retaining clips on the back of the trim piece, otherwise it gets tight and thus my confusion. There is a screw hole in the end where the arrow points but that must by for ST models only as there wasn't a screw in mine. I hope this helps someone in the future!!

Last edited by ergray3; 08-07-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 971 Panamera: Remove Rear Tailgate Trim PORSCHE logo