Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Official Panamera Waiting Room (for new orders)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022 | 05:52 PM
orca15
Pro

Originally Posted by trongngo97
On another note, I'd be grateful if y'all could remind me how long your cars sat at Emden. Mine has sat only about a week, but the VW schedule has the only ships going to Houston to arrive in mid April, despite the expected date 3/31 my SA gave me. Could may just be delayed ship schedules, but I'd love to know the range.
GatorFan and I had our cars built the same week - 11/26/21. They were both at the dock at Emden by 12/1. His got on the first boat (12/3) and mine sat for a month (1/3/22).

So I think that is as good of a range as you will get - 2 days to 1 month. They schedule 3 weeks and almost always beat it prior to Felicity Ace...but who knows now.

I got hit with another week at Baltimore but then only 12 hours from port release to delivery.

Last edited by orca15; 03-11-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2022 | 02:17 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Mine was only at Emden for a day. It really depends on when the next ship is loading up and setting sail to the destination that your dealer gets its Porsches from. Good luck and hope your car gets on a ship soon!
Old 03-12-2022 | 11:02 AM
Cavanmc
AutoX

What a beautiful wagon! Love that red stitching! Also love the R8 lurking in the back Congratulations to you!

On another note, I'd be grateful if y'all could remind me how long your cars sat at Emden. Mine has sat only about a week, but the VW schedule has the only ships going to Houston to arrive in mid April, despite the expected date 3/31 my SA gave me. Could may just be delayed ship schedules, but I'd love to know the range.

P.S. I can attach the VW ship schedule I found on this forum on this post if someone needs it
thanks that was the wife’s daily after trading in her older panamera as the deposit for our order. Now that we have the Turbo S she is happy to have something with more room for shopping and things.

Our car was waiting to board the ship for 8 days. It traveled on the Glovis supreme. It departed 2Dec2021, got to my dealer 20Jan2022. If I remember correctly it made the Benicia port entry on 28Dec2021 where it then traveled by truck.

Thankfully I was away with work during this whole process so I was preoccupied to keep my mind busy otherwise I would have been chirping at my dealer almost daily.
Old 03-12-2022 | 11:11 PM
krabman
Pro

Originally Posted by orca15
snip... Regarding the PID - disabling the speed recognition is a good idea but I kind of like it, just wish it would go from "50 in a 45" to, automatically, "40 in a 35" instead of "35 in a 35." In other words maintain the amount of speeding I am doing even when the limit changes. Now it will ONLY automatically go to the exact new speed limit. Here is what the manual says...it seems like I should be able to tap RESUME and it will go from 5 over to 5 over, but that is not what happens.

What I expect is - driving 50 in a 45. Get to a 35 area, it slows to 35. I tap resume and the 5 mph deviation kicks back in and I am going 40 in a 35. What actually happens is that ANY TIME you hit resume, it goes to the exact speed limit... Snip
It works but to describe how it works it helps to make up new words, sucktacular, for example.

In any event if you're in PID and have your speed set at ten over, you have to watch for the icon to come on in the dash which occurs before the speed limit changes and tap resume WHILE the icon is lit. Do that and it will keep your current over. So you're doing 70 in a 60, the speed limit slows to 50, tapping resume when the light is up will slow it to 60, the same delta you had previously.

So it works but there are several issues: That icon is lit only briefly and doesn't always show up when you would expect. You have to watch for it like a hawk and react immediately when you do see it or you're going to miss it. If you do miss it you're going to the speed limit and can't intervene until you hit the speed limit. The second problem is that just because the speed does down doesn't mean traffic is slowing down. Around here the limit is 70 on the freeway but people are doing 80ish. When the limit goes down to 60 people still do 80ish. This means if you let your car slow down to 70 the guy behind you is going to be giving you a common hand signal utilizing one digit that isn't a thumb. The third problem is that when it slows down it does it in only the way a German car would, precisely and with great zeal. You could literally get rear-ended if you let the car have it's way. Not kidding; 20 minutes after I rolled off the dealer lot and was testing the Innodrive out on the freeway the car behind wasn't paying close attention and had to slam on it's brakes to avoid hitting me.

I gave it some more chances after that but the truth is the speed control in PID actually makes the car harder to drive. That's not good at any time but a particularly high level of fail occurs when the thing that is making driving significantly harder is a driver's aid.

Last edited by krabman; 03-12-2022 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2022 | 11:41 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by krabman
It works but to describe how it works it helps to make up new words, sucktacular, for example.

In any event if you're in PID and have your speed set at ten over, you have to watch for the icon to come on in the dash which occurs before the speed limit changes and tap resume WHILE the icon is lit. Do that and it will keep your current over. So you're doing 70 in a 60, the speed limit slows to 50, tapping resume when the light is up will slow it to 60, the same delta you had previously.

So it works but there are several issues: That icon is lit only briefly and doesn't always show up when you would expect. You have to watch for it like a hawk and react immediately when you do see it or you're going to miss it. If you do miss it you're going to the speed limit and can't intervene until you hit the speed limit. The second problem is that just because the speed does down doesn't mean traffic is slowing down. Around here the limit is 70 on the freeway but people are doing 80ish. When the limit goes down to 60 people still do 80ish. This means if you let your car slow down to 70 the guy behind you is going to be giving you a common hand signal utilizing one digit that isn't a thumb. The third problem is that when it slows down it does it in only the way a German car would, precisely and with great zeal. You could literally get rear-ended if you let the car have it's way. Not kidding; 20 minutes after I rolled off the dealer lot and was testing the Innodrive out on the freeway the car behind wasn't paying close attention and had to slam on it's brakes to avoid hitting me.

I gave it some more chances after that but the truth is the speed control in PID actually makes the car harder to drive. That's not good at any time but a particularly high level of fail occurs when the thing that is making driving significantly harder is a driver's aid.
Why don’t you just disable the speed limit recognition entirely so PID always does the speed that you set? That’s what I’ve done and it works well.
Old 03-13-2022 | 01:44 AM
krabman
Pro

Exactly what I did. But then having done it's not much more than ACC is in any car since ACC became a thing. Considering that the onboard ACC is standard and doesn't do much of anything less let's put that into perspective: If I were to get into your car and switch it to ACC without you knowing you might not figure it out for days, weeks, months, possibly never figure it out. That is fail and in no small amount.

Last edited by krabman; 03-13-2022 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2022 | 03:37 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Exactly what I did. But then having done it's not much more than ACC is in any car since ACC became a thing. Considering that the onboard ACC is standard and doesn't do much of anything less let's put that into perspective: If I were to get into your car and switch it to ACC without you knowing you might not figure it out for days, weeks, months, possibly never figure it out. That is fail and in no small amount.
I get what you’re saying but there are still a couple things I get with PID over ACC when having speed limit recognition turned off:

1) PID still uses road topography with the camera and the GPS to maximize fuel efficiency on its own.

2) Traffic Jam Assist - car basically drives itself in stop and go traffic, including coming to a full stop and accelerating again with traffic.
Old 03-13-2022 | 06:28 AM
krabman
Pro

I'd be willing to bet you could not prove PID improved economy using numbers you collected yourself through real world testing considering that Porsche has failed to do so despite the resources they have available. As to stopping and starting automatically; that's widely available in ACC from other brands. You don't get bonus points for including it in an expensive option sold to do something more than ACC when it is already par for the next cars ACC in the first place.

I really like my Panamara, I love my children, but neither is perfect. Innodrive is a fail. It's like watching a celebrity throw out the opening pitch and the ball doesn't even make it halfway.

Don't get me started on the cup holders. I take the boy genius who designed those, every supervisor that approved them, and send 4 goons to drag them out of the building while hitting their heads on every desk and door jam on the way out. They should then be unceremoniously tossed to the curb where a man is waiting in a Cayenne to run them over repeatedly to remove any possibility they get hired at some other car company.

Ok, running them over might be excessive, I admit that. When I'm going on a longer drive, stop and get lattes for the drive, Mrs Krab gets to put hers in the one useable cup holder while I hold mine until it's done, then jam the empty in the door pocket until I get wherever there is, I get annoyed. Which brings me back to the bottom line: Fail is fail. Excuse it and it's fail with an excuse.
The following users liked this post:
orca15 (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022 | 12:07 PM
orca15
Pro

Thanks for the point out @krabman! Time for another test drive!

And I'm with you, Innodrive is a fail in my neck of the woods. Roads here go up and down in speed limit all the time, and while I really appreciate that it saves me from the small town speed traps in the 45 mph sections, I should definitely be able to customize it a little more. And the worst part is the occasional digital artifact where the car thinks that there is a 10 foot long 25 mph zone between the 35 and 45 changes, and slams on the brakes and then the gas inside 5 seconds. Sure, like SS22 says, I can start turning stuff off as a workaround but still, boo on them.

And +1 on the cup holders
Old 03-13-2022 | 12:54 PM
trongngo97
Advanced

I agree with you all! Even Porsche themselves admitted that they "designed a system for drivers", meaning they never put much thought into it. IMO I think they knocked it out of the park for "engaging drivers" because we all can't just sit back, relax, and let the car do its thing. I really understand how earlier model owners who optioned for it are disappointed. Won't be the last thing that works in theory but a disaster in reality.

For me, the way the MY22 GTS is optioned out, Innodrive is basically thrown in for all the stuff I wanted to get, such as HUD, surround view, and ACC. I guess I never had much expectation for it, so the way it works as @SS22 described is adequate for me. As @krabman said, nothing is perfect, and I have learned to accept the flaws of the car (as in also the cup holders ). I'm only bummed out that the surround view functions don't work properly and still waiting to hear about (hopefully) a solution.

Thanks to all that replied to my Emden question. I guess I can use this time to sort our financing and insurances. Appreciate you all!

Old 03-13-2022 | 01:16 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

I'd be willing to bet you could not prove PID improved economy using numbers you collected yourself through real world testing considering that Porsche has failed to do so despite the resources they have available. As to stopping and starting automatically; that's widely available in ACC from other brands. You don't get bonus points for including it in an expensive option sold to do something more than ACC when it is already par for the next cars ACC in the first place.

I really like my Panamara, I love my children, but neither is perfect. Innodrive is a fail. It's like watching a celebrity throw out the opening pitch and the ball doesn't even make it halfway.

Don't get me started on the cup holders. I take the boy genius who designed those, every supervisor that approved them, and send 4 goons to drag them out of the building while hitting their heads on every desk and door jam on the way out. They should then be unceremoniously tossed to the curb where a man is waiting in a Cayenne to run them over repeatedly to remove any possibility they get hired at some other car company.

Ok, running them over might be excessive, I admit that. When I'm going on a longer drive, stop and get lattes for the drive, Mrs Krab gets to put hers in the one useable cup holder while I hold mine until it's done, then jam the empty in the door pocket until I get wherever there is, I get annoyed. Which brings me back to the bottom line: Fail is fail. Excuse it and it's fail with an excuse.
First, let me acknowledge how entertaining it is to read your posts

Ok, you’re right I couldn’t (and wouldn’t waste the effort) to prove PID improves fuel economy like Porsche claims. If it does, great, if not, whatever. The biggest draw for me was the traffic jam assist and living in Southern California with freeway traffic being (unfortunately) common, that feature is amazing and I love it. I disagree that most other brands with ACC can do stop and go driving like the Porsche TJA/PID can. Most ACC features only work at high speeds for altering speed and if the car in the front comes to a stop, the ACC will bring you to a stop and that’s the end of story — it won’t speed up again on its own.

Also, PID’s traffic sign recognition does what it sets out to do… Years ago, I was driving through Colorado on one of those roads that goes through little towns in the middle of nowhere. Speed limits on the road before the town was 65 or 70 and I was cruising along. As I approached the town, speed limit dropped to 55, then quickly 45, and finally 35. Rather than slam on my brakes, I took my foot off the gas and was slowly adjusting my speed down but not suddenly at every speed sign. You know, similar to how we wish PID’s speed limit sign recognition operated. Well, a cop pulled me over. Officer, I said, I was slowing down to comply with the new speed limits but there were several and so close to each other. Officer didn’t care… said I should’ve used my brakes and brought my speed down immediately. Wrote me a ticket. The moral of the story is that PID speed limit recognition does exactly what it’s designed to do and in keeping with the letter of the law. It’s not fair to bad mouth porsche or their engineers. If you don’t like that feature, like me, turning it off is a fine thing to do.

The cup holder design is interesting. Some people complain why both cup holders aren’t supersized/large and others complain why they’re not both small. I definitely see everyone’s frustration. But then others appreciate that Porsche, unlike almost every other carmaker, provided the variety so they can fit every sized cup or bottle in one of the cup holders. Porsche can’t make everyone happy. Is there something you could put in the inside of the large cup holder so it gets smaller and holds your small drink?
Old 03-13-2022 | 01:21 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

For me, the way the MY22 GTS is optioned out, Innodrive is basically thrown in for all the stuff I wanted to get, such as HUD, surround view, and ACC. I guess I never had much expectation for it, so the way it works as @SS22 described is adequate for me. As @krabman said, nothing is perfect, and I have learned to accept the flaws of the car (as in also the cup holders ). I'm only bummed out that the surround view functions don't work properly and still waiting to hear about (hopefully) a solution.
Yep, I got the assistance package like you with all those features like you’ve ordered yours so PID with traffic jam assist came with it. As for surround view, I’m determined to get to the bottom of it although it’s been a struggle. My dealer claims they’ve opened a case with PCNA about it and have followed up with the technical field manager at PCNA (since we hadn’t heard anything in a while).
Old 03-13-2022 | 04:05 PM
Mattatares
AutoX

Originally Posted by Cavanmc
I’m down in Bonney lake. Maybe one day our paths will cross
Arlington here, we should do a GTG ☕️
Old 03-15-2022 | 01:53 AM
krabman
Pro

Neither cup holder is "super-sized" you have one that's typically sized, and one that is for no good reason, unusually small. Saying manufacturers have figured out how to make cup holders work can't be done without also adding, "Welcome to two decades ago." Nothing available with a vent that has to be adjusted in the infotainment, has massage front and rear, is only slightly smaller than Rhode Island, and comes with tech to help drive the car for you, gets to claim the cup holder was nerfed for sporting reasons. Lots of manufacturers have cars on offer with cup holders that hold beverages, big or small, all in the same cup holder. It's not just the size either. Mrs Krab has been in academia all her life with advanced degrees in philosophy and economics. She talks like the stereotypical librarian, very quiet, demure. When I first got the car she'd be putting her cappuccino in the cupholder (because unlike the driver she can) and she'd ask why the "claws" were so stiff. She didn't understand it, didn't anybody test it? In other words the engineering was called out, very politely, but nevertheless called out, by a professor of economics. That's not good.

Innodrive. You're looking for reasons to excuse it's failures and that's fine but failure is failure. You want your car to rapidly decelerate at a speed reduction so as to avoid a possible traffic violation; nothing wrong with that other than it being the wrong thing to do in the first place. Coming to a speed reduction and waiting until the last second to decelerate so rapidly as to create a potential to be rear ended is not what any driver I know does and I'm pretty sure it won't be recommended procedure in any safe driving handbooks. My point here is the entire concept is wrong. It should be doing what almost everyone does and starting to slow earlier but less aggressively. This would do more than make things substantially smoother; it would give you more time to respond to a prompt to maintain your delta instead of playing Whack-a-Mole.

That it has sign recognition, expected with ACC. Traffic jam assist, again expected. Innodrive is sold as more, so, where is the more? Once you've turned off speed recognition, you're just left with what in other cars is called ACC. Except of course for one thing and I'm surprised no one mentioned it: The predictive speed control.

Let's look at that because it's the one thing that it does ,that ACC elsewhere does not, and it absolutely works. Predictive speed control uses the cameras, radar, and nav data, to change the throttle and shifting algorithms and can be used on a backroad in a dedicated sport mode. Anyone who had not tried this should consider giving it a go; you would not believe how aggressive it can be unless you try it yourself. Quite a party trick, no denying.

Ok. You've got this party trick, but do you want to use it? Anywhere I would use it is also exactly where I most want to do the driving myself. It would be like wining and dining Mrs Krab and then when it was time to get lucky giving the wheel to Mr Innodrive and he gets to do the fun part. I think not. That really encapsulates the Innodrive experience: A deeply flawed concept with an equally flawed execution that is at it's best when you most done want to use it. That predictive speed mode in sport though, wow. And to think the guys who pulled that off were utterly defeated with the task of making a working cup holder. Unbelievable.
Old 03-15-2022 | 10:24 AM
orca15
Pro

Thoroughly entertaining, Mr. Krabman. I agree the predictive speed is cool but have never even thought to try it on the windy roads for exactly the reason you mention.

several attempts to save the speed delta so far have failed-every time I hit resume, prompt on or off, AUTO is selected. Maybe a ‘22 thing?

Quick Reply: Official Panamera Waiting Room (for new orders)