Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 12:45 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Panamera 4 throttle response

The throttle response is significantly delayed in the base model. Will sprint booster improve it? Is the same Delay true for the S model? 971 model for both questions
Old 04-26-2021, 01:07 AM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

The 4S is a little better, the V8s better still (more piston surface) but none of them are right. A major flaw in these cars is that normal is actually eco so that you end up with a gap in the performance for everyday driving. Think about it; the usual scenario in a car is that you start up in eco with crappy pedal and all the settings that no one wants like start/stop and you instantly switch to normal so it dosn't drive like a dog. In this car there is no normal; you've got what is really eco and then go right to sport which isn't exactly right for banging around in traffic either, you've got a gap there. I have the pedal commander and it works but can get a little wonky because what's desirable in one mode (the cars) doesn't work as well in another. This is a big heavy car that isn't well served by the base engine not just because of the lack of throttle response but because it just doesn't have enough oomph; it isn't much more to move to at least the S which performs more in line with what you'd expect from a so called uber sedan.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:38 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks for the perspective @krabman . I’m driving the 4 as a loaner while my 991.1 is being serviced. I’m considering a 971 to replace my 970.2. I have not tried the 4s but that is probably a better choice for me and there are lots of low mileage used candidates available.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:51 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the Sprint Booster throttle mod in my 4S and have found it enhances the driving experience greatly. The base model is probably fine for owners interested in a luxury/slower paced style of driving. If you chase the performance and more aggressive driving experience, the S should be more than enough.
The following users liked this post:
SS22 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 08:41 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Sprint Booster

I have a sprint booster in my 12 P4. I test drove a base Panny years ago and was not impressed. In conjunction with buying the one I have, I drove 12 P2. Again, nor impressed. No sure if the RWD had PDK, which mine does. Mine has Sport+ too. Whatever the reason, I really like the P4. Peppy enough and as one review said, “planted.”

but the throttle and take off could be better. Sprint booster provides more adjustability. Perhaps better than simple sport mode. But still not right for a medium speed take off. Ok if you just tromp it, which I don’t do that often. I have an over powered 914-6 for that.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:49 PM
Atlas_Shrugz
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The throttle delay was the biggest disappointment I experienced with my 2010 Panamera Turbo. I added a RaceChip tuner and it eliminated the throttle delay. Love the car now.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 throttle response