Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera GTS (970)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021 | 12:29 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Default Panamera GTS (970)

The Panamera is one of the cars I consider as a more practical car.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive a Panamera GTS. It was a better driving machine than I imagined. I knew it was of the best in its class, if not the best. It lives up to that reputation. Of course there are better driving machines in smaller sizes sedans. That means other trade offs.

Luxury sedans have never been on my radar until quite recently. I prefer analogue cars to today’s more digital cars. That’s why I tested the older generation of Panamera and a GTS at that. Wanted to see if it had any real character. I don’t care so much about performance. There will always be something faster around the corner.

I’ve been reading threads on this forum and other sources to become more familiar with what to expect. Usually I own cars long term long after warranties is gone if the car is good. I don’t mind spending some money to keep a good car in shape.

If buying a Panamera I’m planing on using it to do some longer trips in winter conditions. Go skiing. Was there an option to transport skis inside the Panamera without dropping the rear seats?
The following users liked this post:
StanFirmZ (01-31-2023)
Old 03-11-2021 | 12:41 PM
vkb123
Racer

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
Was there an option to transport skis inside the Panamera without dropping the rear seats?
Rear seats need to be dropped in order for skis to be placed inside. I have the Panamera ski bag that is specifically designed for interior cabin ski placement. Practically speaking, unless you are travelling solo, better to get the roof transport system (cross bars) and put a ski rack or box on top. I have this option as well and it works really well.
Old 03-11-2021 | 04:05 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by vkb123
Rear seats need to be dropped in order for skis to be placed inside. I have the Panamera ski bag that is specifically designed for interior cabin ski placement. Practically speaking, unless you are travelling solo, better to get the roof transport system (cross bars) and put a ski rack or box on top. I have this option as well and it works really well.
I agree with what you are writing.

Will probably travel solo at times. Then it could be convenient to just keep the skis in the car.

I found a brochure on the Panamera. It says that “the backseats fold down individually with a ratio of 40:60...”. That how the Panamera I drove was equipped. The brochure also says further. “The split is 40:20:40 in conjunction with the optional ski bag. With the option center console, the backrests can still be folded separately while the console itself remains in fixed position.”

Should I interpret that as some Panameras are equipped with another option so that’s it’s possible to have the skis between the rear back seats?

I haven’t been successful with searching for that answer yet.

It’s not a dealbreaker.

I would probably prefer the sport design steering wheel to the multifunction that was in the GTS I drove. But at the end of the day I think I would drive the Panamera in full automatic mode most of the time. The Panamera is not that type of car. At heart I’m still a old school manual guy.

How does the alcantara interior hold up? I used to own an Audi RS2 with alcantara in the seat centers and they looked better than most RS2 seats I saw in full leather many years later. I guess the leather seats in the Porsche Panamera is of higher quality than the Audis of 90’s.

Old 03-11-2021 | 05:44 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Yes, there are versions with a fixed console in the back seat that doesn't fold down. The alcantara on our '13 GTS still looks brand new.
Old 03-11-2021 | 07:24 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

If you're driving solo to go skiing, simply fold down one of the rear seats and put your skis inside. As mentioned a lockable pod on the roof is your best bet and the 970 has the integrated rack system that's unavailable in the 971. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2021 | 07:59 PM
delray993tt
Rennlist Member

But the ski rack with your skis looks so much cooler.
Old 03-12-2021 | 05:24 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
Yes, there are versions with a fixed console in the back seat that doesn't fold down. The alcantara on our '13 GTS still looks brand new.
Thank you for the confirmation. Good to know that the alcantara hold up nicely after 8 years.

Originally Posted by skiracer
If you're driving solo to go skiing, simply fold down one of the rear seats and put your skis inside. As mentioned a lockable pod on the roof is your best bet and the 970 has the integrated rack system that's unavailable in the 971. Good luck!
Good advices. Thank you.

As I mentioned before it’s not a dealbreaker. Just trying to see what options that where available when the first owner ordered the cars from new.

I would probably prefer to use a roof box if I can’t secure the skis in the car safely. In case of an emergency braking I wound not feel comfortable with the loose things with the seats folded. Especially in high speed on the German autobahn to the alps in wintertime.

Originally Posted by delray993tt
But the ski rack with your skis looks so much cooler.
It’s quite a long drive to go skiing so I believe the best option would be a roof box. It protects the equipment from the elements and it’s possible to store more luggage.

If more local a ski rack would be a good option. Practical and easy to use.
911dude41 (10-03-2024)
Old 03-12-2021 | 05:35 PM
dudecs
Racer

For the interior seat option for skis, it is a 40-20-40 split. I have this option. It is a pass-through in the middle (between the two seats) with a bag for the skis. I optioned this to carry long items without the need to put down one or both rear seats. 1st photo is the closed/up position. 2nd is with the armrest down. 3rd is with the pass-through opened.

Old 03-13-2021 | 07:25 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by dudecs
For the interior seat option for skis, it is a 40-20-40 split. I have this option. It is a pass-through in the middle (between the two seats) with a bag for the skis. I optioned this to carry long items without the need to put down one or both rear seats. 1st photo is the closed/up position. 2nd is with the armrest down. 3rd is with the pass-through opened.

Thank you for those pictures and info. You don’t happen to know what option code that option have?
Old 03-13-2021 | 12:17 PM
dudecs
Racer

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
Thank you for those pictures and info. You don’t happen to know what option code that option have?
For the 970 series, it was option code "213 - Ski Bag"...

Old 03-13-2021 | 10:33 PM
vkb123
Racer

Originally Posted by dudecs
For the 970 series, it was option code "213 - Ski Bag"...
Hey @dudecs! Where did you get this complete list of Panamera options? I know Porsche put out 2 hard cover sales books (2009 prior to the 970.1 and 2013 prior to the 970.2). Are the option codes from one of these?
Old 03-14-2021 | 05:29 PM
vkb123
Racer

Hey @dudecs! Can you please share where you got that list of Panamera option codes/descriptions? Thanks!
Old 03-14-2021 | 06:05 PM
allroadusa
Advanced

Here you go : http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/br...4-panamera.pdf
Old 03-14-2021 | 06:10 PM
vkb123
Racer

Originally Posted by allroadusa
Thank you @allroadusa! I’ve seen this hardcover book for sale and appreciate the e-copy! I’m sure you are enjoying your #60 Exclusive Series Turbo S!
allroadusa (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021 | 06:12 PM
allroadusa
Advanced

Indeed I am!

Quick Reply: Panamera GTS (970)