Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

DIY: PANAMERA PDK Shift Rod Sensors and harness replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 01:41 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts
Default DIY: PANAMERA PDK Shift Rod Sensors and harness replacement

If you encountered the dreaded TRANSMISSION FAULT error on your cluster while you drive, or if starting up, and notice that the car does not go into gear, acts like it is in neutral. Only way to clear is sometimes to turn off and back on, and often, to clear using diagnostic package. But error will never go away fully.
Once you scan the errors when 'Transmission fault' is present, you see shift rod 1 or shift rod 2, or shift rod xxx implausible signal messages.

I know how frustrating this error is. Some dealers have been advising folks to replace PDK. That is a 20k price tag job.
If you have these errors, you can repair it all on your own, at a price of about $1200 (parts cost plus day of your time while babying your car, and drinking a bit while doing so).

Before you start, you must know you have to recalibrate the PDK. This means, YOU MUST HAVE ACCESS TO PIWIS2 diagnostic tool. Same one dealers use. If you install new sensors, you will most likely be able to start and drive the car, BUT sometime soon, you will go into limp mode and card will be stranded. So before you start, make sure you have the parts, and the PIWIS2 tool (or have scheduled tow to shop that will recalibrate for you - that is a price tag on its own too).

TOOLS:
Not bothering with each tool specifically, but you will need ratchets, 3/8, torque wrench 1/4", E-torx, torx, thin flat screwdrivers for prying, regular sockets (18mm, 16mm, 13mm, 10mm), etc. Bottle jack, magnetic level to ensure bottom of car is level when you raise off ground (unless you have a lift/hoist).
You also MUST HAVE PIWIS2 setup.

PARTS:
- Replacement transmission pan kit (pan, filter, filter seal, pan gasket, gasket spacers, pan bolts, drain plug installed into new pan)
- Shift rod sensors - 970 317 085 30. NOTE: MAKE SURE TO USE YOUR CAR VIN WHEN ORDERING TO ENSURE FIT
- transmission harness - 970 317 615 30. NOTE: MAKE SURE TO USE YOUR CAR VIN WHEN ORDERING TO ENSURE FIT
- Pentosine FFL3 trans fluid (at least 10 quarts for V8 AWD)

Now, onto the process. Make sure you review every image (step). Read and understand what is going on. Only after that, get things going. It is a long process, although not too difficult.
BEFORE YOU START, CHARGE YOUR CAR BATTERY FULLY - you will need the charge during calibration.
After the replacement, YOU MUST RECALIBRATE THE PDK.
To do that you connect PIWIS2, scan the system (keep pressing F12 without highlighting any subsystems). Eventually you will get to the screen that will show subsystems that your car has, then you locate PDK, then see image 28 to help guide you through the rest of the process. The process is not as obvious as you would want. There are few times where you have to turn car off then back on. There is a timer that shows you how long you must wait, then tells you to turn car off/on. If your battery on the fob is near dead, you may turn key and nothing will happen, keep that in mind. Best to have good fob battery before you start too.

Well, here we go, follow steps from 1 to 28. Hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Last edited by ciaka; 11-25-2020 at 02:17 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by ciaka:
cbracerx (11-05-2023), cbwinters01 (04-17-2021), Deezflip (11-25-2020), DogWood (11-26-2020), griskait (04-15-2024), LimeyBoy (04-17-2021), Mas0n (02-03-2024), mironbot (01-27-2023), Mr Tee (11-28-2020), rbrunelle (12-01-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-25-2020, 04:35 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow, what a beautiful write up and great photos too. Congratulations. I certainly hope my 2013 Panamera doesn't have this fault, but at least now I know how to fix it and save $18,800 too.

It looks tedious so I'm looking for alternatives. Would this work?

Or how about prayer? I've always believed God is too busy to worry about my transmission, but I really hate the feel of transmission fluid running into my armpits.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:27 PM
ciaka
Racer

lpl.
This would work on a car that I dont care about. lol again.
If you have leaks, they need repairs, not chewing gum. The transmission fault is not a good thing to see, but if you see shift rod sensor faults, chances are great this is the issue. Dealer will skin you, several were told to replace transmission.
This is a way to get your car back at a fraction of the price.
Take care

Originally Posted by Mozella55
Wow, what a beautiful write up and great photos too. Congratulations. I certainly hope my 2013 Panamera doesn't have this fault, but at least now I know how to fix it and save $18,800 too.

It looks tedious so I'm looking for alternatives. Would this work?

Or how about prayer? I've always believed God is too busy to worry about my transmission, but I really hate the feel of transmission fluid running into my armpits.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Very nice ciaka! Thank you for this.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:28 PM
Mike_turbo
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thanks for tackling this, hopefully I never have to.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Tee (11-28-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 01:37 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Excellent write up as always ciaka!
Mr Tee (11-28-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:32 AM
ciaka
Racer

No problem gents. As long as it is going to help someone, thats all that matters. With the calibration done, my PDK is like butter. Need to do few launches to 'make sure' its all ok.

Originally Posted by Deezflip
Very nice ciaka! Thank you for this.
Originally Posted by Mike_turbo
Wow thanks for tackling this, hopefully I never have to.
Originally Posted by DogWood
Excellent write up as always ciaka!
griskait (04-15-2024)
Old 12-02-2020, 09:23 PM
FNTSTK 4
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

BRAVO! That takes some brass b@lls to attempt, on a slopped driveway outside no less. Love the split wood log to prop!

what brand ramps and PIWIS2 tool are you using?

thanks for the great write up.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:46 AM
ciaka
Racer

I specifically wanted to do this in that area of driveway since in that particular spot, I got more clearance under car. Car was always well supported.
The log was just a quick thinking for supporting trannie from sagging. Worked well too.
My PIWIS2 is an oem one. Got from someone on a forum while back. Works awesome. They were getting rid of bunch, so got me one, and it has been useful for sure.
I dont recall what brand the ramps are. Dont even remember where I got them. They were about 40 bucks, and each supports 3 tons, so plenty of spare weight if I needed.
Glad you like the write up. Lengthy, but pretty easy actually, just took time. Saved myself thousands here. Some actually told me the pdk has to be replaced. I laughed that one off.

Originally Posted by FNTSTK 4
BRAVO! That takes some brass b@lls to attempt, on a slopped driveway outside no less. Love the split wood log to prop!

what brand ramps and PIWIS2 tool are you using?

thanks for the great write up.

Last edited by ciaka; 04-17-2021 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:47 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Ramps are most likely harbor freight, I own a set as well and I do believe I picked them up after you mentioned them
Old 05-18-2021, 10:03 AM
Drewvo909
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaka
I specifically wanted to do this in that area of driveway since in that particular spot, I got more clearance under car. Car was always well supported.
The log was just a quick thinking for supporting trannie from sagging. Worked well too.
My PIWIS2 is an oem one. Got from someone on a forum while back. Works awesome. They were getting rid of bunch, so got me one, and it has been useful for sure.
I dont recall what brand the ramps are. Dont even remember where I got them. They were about 40 bucks, and each supports 3 tons, so plenty of spare weight if I needed.
Glad you like the write up. Lengthy, but pretty easy actually, just took time. Saved myself thousands here. Some actually told me the pdk has to be replaced. I laughed that one off.

@ciaka ur step by step process is amazing and very helpful my 2012 4s panamera recently suffered the dreaded trans fault light trans was never a sign to me that it was anywhere near going bad car has just hit a 100k and is currently at porsche dealer in riverside California I scanned codes and a p1733 and p1734 popped up my question to u is are those codes similar? The dealer hit me with 3 options to 1. replace sensors and not guarantee it will work 2. Replace valve body and sensors for a total of 7,800 price tag and that might not work or 3. Buy a new trans for $15,000 fml any insight u can lend me at the point ? It would be greatly appreciated as i think im losing seconds of my life stressing about this smh!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:37 PM
ciaka
Racer

Sorry for late reply. I believe those were the errors. I dont remember exactly now but they were P173x errors.
The shift rod sensors are magnetic, with heat and age they went. After I replaced AND RECALIBRATED PDK, issue was resolved.
Dealer will charge you 5k for sensors. Plus labor.
My DIY shows you where I bought the sensors for 1100 i believe, spend few hours and saved a ton of money. If your car does not engage into a gear (R or D), randomly, but when left alone sometimes works ok, and you get the transmission fault error on cluster, and when you scan the car, you see the P173x errors, my guess is - it is the shift rod sensors. Valve body valves will give you different errors, specific to them.
Valve body for PTT is about 700 or so. easy to do, with the DIY I made. Hope this helps you and sorry for delay, when life is smooth, I dont go looking for troubles anywhere...lol. Take care.

Originally Posted by Drewvo909
@ciaka ur step by step process is amazing and very helpful my 2012 4s panamera recently suffered the dreaded trans fault light trans was never a sign to me that it was anywhere near going bad car has just hit a 100k and is currently at porsche dealer in riverside California I scanned codes and a p1733 and p1734 popped up my question to u is are those codes similar? The dealer hit me with 3 options to 1. replace sensors and not guarantee it will work 2. Replace valve body and sensors for a total of 7,800 price tag and that might not work or 3. Buy a new trans for $15,000 fml any insight u can lend me at the point ? It would be greatly appreciated as i think im losing seconds of my life stressing about this smh!
griskait (04-21-2024)
Old 03-09-2022, 08:54 AM
Trius
6th Gear

Ciaka,

thank you for generously taking the time to post your work.

I recently started having an AWD fault light appear after about 20 minutes of driving. The dealer scanned the codes and apparently I need a new shift rod/temp sensor as well as 3 pressure sensors. Needless to say the estimate took the wind out of my sails.

my question is: I recently changed the PDK fluid per your excellent write up. Do you think it’s possible the 2 events are at all related? Possibly underfilled PDK?? The transmission shifts perfectly.

thank you again!
Old 03-11-2022, 09:16 AM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Ciaka, Great write-up Thanks. Was the wiring harness replacement a "while I'm in there" change or did you see that the harness was compromised?
Thanks again
Old 10-30-2023, 06:26 PM
Mrob
1st Gear

Default PDK shift fork position sensor

Thank you for the awesome DIY write up re. PDK shift fork position sensor. Ready to roll however having trouble finding a new sensor. Any suggestions appreciated. Dealership are a no go for now. I have a 2011 Panamera 2WD base model. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: DIY: PANAMERA PDK Shift Rod Sensors and harness replacement