PURCHASING A PORSCHE PANAMERA GTS 2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 08:45 PM
PanameraMontreal
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PURCHASING A PORSCHE PANAMERA GTS 2014

Hi Everyone,

Nice to find a forum where there are so many porsche owners. I finally decided to make an account and post a thread since I am sending a 2014 Porsche Panamera GTS that I am looking to buy for a 111 Point Pre-Purchase Inspection at the Porsche Dealer on Monday. Costs 300+Tax but i think that is more than worth it since I am buying the car from a Non-Porsche Dealer.

The Car is very clean, only has 36,000KM. I will attach pictures below, I just wanted to know if there was anything i should worry about? I am okay with the Oil changes at $180+ at Local Indy Shops, The spark plugs and Ignition Coils that I know have to be changed as well.

-Does anyone have any opinions on After Market Rotors and Brake Pads?
-I am worried about the $4400 Front Strut Replacement, however i found new struts online that are 800$ for a pair:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-Front-A...wAAOSwERBfCC6G

Brand new and a fraction of the cost.

Can anyone give a list of repairs they have had to do on their 2014+ Panameras? I know the ones from 2010-2013 had a lot of issues.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:24 PM
Santa Cruz Red
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Handsome car... congratulations! After 2 years of ownership ('13 Turbo, CPO car) I can offer that it's a solid platform and major mechanical problems seem quite infrequent. A common issue appears to be suspension bushings, and brake wear. It's a heavy car so expect frequent tire changes as well. There are also the occasional, but rare, reports of air shock failures... but after owning other air shock equipped cars my opinion is that - eventually - all will fail, but more than likely not in its lifetime with you. If you're not comfortable with common maintenance issues, find yourself a good "indy" and enjoy the car. Cheers!
Old 09-12-2020, 12:40 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice car! You've already identified the most likely repair issue (air suspension - thread #1 above) that you'll face down the road and you can make plans for it ahead of time. There are aftermarket rebuild services for the shocks which you may consider as well. There are lots of sensors on the car and a partially depleted battery can lead to some false indications and failure modes. These are generally reliable cars with great performance and comfort which you can enjoy on a daily basis. Mine has 41K miles on it with no major issues so far.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:49 PM
PanameraMontreal
AutoX

Originally Posted by Santa Cruz Red
Handsome car... congratulations! After 2 years of ownership ('13 Turbo, CPO car) I can offer that it's a solid platform and major mechanical problems seem quite infrequent. A common issue appears to be suspension bushings, and brake wear. It's a heavy car so expect frequent tire changes as well. There are also the occasional, but rare, reports of air shock failures... but after owning other air shock equipped cars my opinion is that - eventually - all will fail, but more than likely not in its lifetime with you. If you're not comfortable with common maintenance issues, find yourself a good "indy" and enjoy the car. Cheers!
Thank you!

what tires are you running?
im most likely going to put Zimmermann rotors on the GTS when it comes time to change them.

do you know what part of the suspension bushings fail? Can you find me the part.

cheers,

Nick
Old 09-12-2020, 12:50 PM
PanameraMontreal
AutoX

Originally Posted by mdkelly1
Nice car! You've already identified the most likely repair issue (air suspension - thread #1 above) that you'll face down the road and you can make plans for it ahead of time. There are aftermarket rebuild services for the shocks which you may consider as well. There are lots of sensors on the car and a partially depleted battery can lead to some false indications and failure modes. These are generally reliable cars with great performance and comfort which you can enjoy on a daily basis. Mine has 41K miles on it with no major issues so far.

thank you, I’ll ask what state the battery is in on the car. I’m happy to have the front struts sorted out as well
Old 09-13-2020, 04:43 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 114 Posts

I bought a 2013 Panamera 4S a few weeks ago. When you write the check you'll feel broke but when you get in to go for a drive, you'll feel like a rich man and maybe a little bit of a racing driver. Luxury (especially in the back seats) along with performance....... what's not to like?

So far the only issue was the passenger side mirror which failed to tilt down properly when selecting reverse. It was a bad mirror motor. I paid $120 at the local Porsche dealer and installed it in about 7 minutes. Works great now.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:40 AM
PanameraMontreal
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mozella55
I bought a 2013 Panamera 4S a few weeks ago. When you write the check you'll feel broke but when you get in to go for a drive, you'll feel like a rich man and maybe a little bit of a racing driver. Luxury (especially in the back seats) along with performance....... what's not to like?

So far the only issue was the passenger side mirror which failed to tilt down properly when selecting reverse. It was a bad mirror motor. I paid $120 at the local Porsche dealer and installed it in about 7 minutes. Works great now.

$120 is actually decent, I think I’ll rarely be buying from the dealer since they make you drop your pants whenever you go there. But luckily the panamera has tons and tons of parts online at a fraction of the cost
Old 09-13-2020, 11:00 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by PanameraMontreal
$120 is actually decent, I think I’ll rarely be buying from the dealer since they make you drop your pants whenever you go there. But luckily the panamera has tons and tons of parts online at a fraction of the cost
Check before you buy on-line. The $120 I paid to the dealer is a few dollars cheaper than anything I could find on the Internet and he got it shipped from Atlanta overnight at no extra cost to me. I've purchased a couple of other parts from this dealer and the price, so far, is within a couple of bucks of the best on-line price I could dig up. In days past you could get away from sales tax by shopping on-line but now most places nick you for the tax and most also charge you shipping, sometimes quite a bit.

I always check of course, if for no other reason than to get a part number to guide my local parts guy to the right page on his computer. But so far I haven't found a genuine Porsche part cheaper on line when you factor in shipping and in some instances big Internet Porsche parts vendors are asking quite a bit more than my local dealer. Sure, I have to drive to pick up the part, but it gives me a chance to rag on my salesman and shout, "Where''s my damned 2021 Cayman? Is it on the boat yet?"

Of course, I might just have a non-greedy local dealer or the fact that I ordered a new car from him might flag me as a "good guy" in his computer. I don't know.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:12 PM
Santa Cruz Red
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm running Michellin Pilot Super Sports, 255/40x20 & 295/35/20, which I think is the stock setup from Porsche. I've had good luck with Conti Extremes on an A8 (also a porker) and if I can find the correct sizes, will try a set of those in the fall. I don't have the part numbers, but understand that the most common wear items are the upper control arm bushings, both front and rear. My car developed a minor, but annoying, "clunk" when driving slowly over uneven surfaces and the dealer replaced the rear upper control arm bushings under warranty (CPO car). I would have no problem using Zimmer rotors, they're OEM for several Euro cars.
The following users liked this post:
crockett9611 (12-09-2022)
Old 09-13-2020, 03:28 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

My 14 P4 has had a high pressure fuel pump failure, PDK transmission failure (before I bought it at 27k miles), cracked steering pump, and failed gas cap cover opener. All covered by warranty/CPO. Wear and tear include brakes/rotors and serpentine belt.

Last edited by lexhair; 09-13-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:54 PM
PanameraMontreal
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mozella55
Check before you buy on-line. The $120 I paid to the dealer is a few dollars cheaper than anything I could find on the Internet and he got it shipped from Atlanta overnight at no extra cost to me. I've purchased a couple of other parts from this dealer and the price, so far, is within a couple of bucks of the best on-line price I could dig up. In days past you could get away from sales tax by shopping on-line but now most places nick you for the tax and most also charge you shipping, sometimes quite a bit.

I always check of course, if for no other reason than to get a part number to guide my local parts guy to the right page on his computer. But so far I haven't found a genuine Porsche part cheaper on line when you factor in shipping and in some instances big Internet Porsche parts vendors are asking quite a bit more than my local dealer. Sure, I have to drive to pick up the part, but it gives me a chance to rag on my salesman and shout, "Where''s my damned 2021 Cayman? Is it on the boat yet?"

Of course, I might just have a non-greedy local dealer or the fact that I ordered a new car from him might flag me as a "good guy" in his computer. I don't know.

I agree, it depends on the part you're purchasing, but for example the brakes, ill be buying them online for 1000$ where at the dealer they are $3000-$4000 minimum.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:56 PM
PanameraMontreal
AutoX

Thanks for the info.

This car here is equipped with Pirelli Zeros, I will also be winter driving it since i live in Canada. These Panameras are Tanks in the snow.

Going to probably be going with Michelin Pilots for winter tires.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:59 PM
PanameraMontreal
AutoX

Cool

Originally Posted by lexhair
My 14 P4 has had a high pressure fuel pump failure, PDK transmission failure (before I bought it at 27k miles), cracked steering pump, and failed gas cap cover opener. All covered by warranty/CPO. Wear and tear include brakes/rotors and serpentine belt.

The PDK seems to fail earlier than later, I am considering getting a 2 year powertrain Warranty for the car.

Luckily your Cracked steering pump is $300 Bosh part, the Fuel pump is $450. Not a lot of people seem to be talking about that, maybe you got unlucky?

I am expecting to change the struts and rear springs, so i am ready for that, and the PDK is one of the strongest transmissions ever made in my opinion, but you never know if you are the unlucky one who gets the 10,000$ replacement cost lol.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:56 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 687 Likes on 413 Posts

Do oil change yourself, don’t know what cost to import, but oil, filter, drain plug and gaskets From fcpeuro approx $95usd, and lifetime guarantee. Every one after that is just return shipping cost. Takes about 45 min. Plugs/coils can be done easily, just takes couple hrs.
I put all season tire PILOT SPORT AS on my S, quieter, last longer, give 98% of handling for normal/spirited driving, and gets rid of that damn “crabbing” which you’ll experience when temps go into low 60’s and below.
Front end POS. Mine clunks and sounds like parts going to fall off, colder it gets worse it is. Mine CPO and when get time will take in and have them replace the known issues.
Air suspension (assume you’re getting) for P is fairly reliable, far far better than BMW/Merc.
Overall, Panny a reliable car however.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:00 PM
PanameraMontreal
AutoX

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Do oil change yourself, don’t know what cost to import, but oil, filter, drain plug and gaskets From fcpeuro approx $95usd, and lifetime guarantee. Every one after that is just return shipping cost. Takes about 45 min. Plugs/coils can be done easily, just takes couple hrs.
I put all season tire PILOT SPORT AS on my S, quieter, last longer, give 98% of handling for normal/spirited driving, and gets rid of that damn “crabbing” which you’ll experience when temps go into low 60’s and below.
Front end POS. Mine clunks and sounds like parts going to fall off, colder it gets worse it is. Mine CPO and when get time will take in and have them replace the known issues.
Air suspension (assume you’re getting) for P is fairly reliable, far far better than BMW/Merc.
Overall, Panny a reliable car however.

The front clunking is that the bushings making the noise for the Control arm?

Quick Reply: PURCHASING A PORSCHE PANAMERA GTS 2014