Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass/Burmester High End

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 01:42 PM
wizardsfan11
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass/Burmester High End

Hello all! We are shopping for a new Panamera and wanted to do thermally and noise insulated glass, as well as the Burmester high-end sound system. Is there anything I need to know about these, and can anyone with these options on their car vouch for how well they work/how noticeable the difference is? Thanks!!
Old 08-13-2020, 01:49 PM
doctj
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome.

I can’t comment specifically on the Burmester except that it sounds good. I don’t know if it’s worth the extra $ though.

Regarding the noise and thermally insulated glass : depends on if you want the sound of the engine and road inside your car , and if you want to hear the exhaust etc.

best advice is to test drive one with and one without. (Both glass and audio)
for the test drive be sure to take the car onto the highway around 80mph and see what the interior cabin noise is like and compare the two.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:14 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I have both options in my 2010 PTT and it's an excellent combination for audiophiles. The Burmester is superb but there's an appreciable difference as you move from CD --> hardwired streaming --> Bluetooth in terms of audio quality. Make sure your use case will work in the combination you select.

If you end up going w/ both options, it may defeat the purpose of PSE or another sport exhaust option. As doctj mentioned above, you really should test drive cars w/ these various options to see (hear) what works best for you.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:29 PM
BladeMD
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Bose in my 2011 Cayenne TT and Burmester + glass in my 2017 Panny TT. You still hear sport exhaust despite Glass but it’s not loud unless you open window. Burmester is vastly superior to Bose across many different genres, and the glass really does help w road noise. Highly recommend both.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:06 PM
wizardsfan11
4th Gear

Thanks. We were looking at one vehicle that was fully specced with all the options, except for a sports exhaust, so I guess we wouldn't be missing much, so it may be ok to not have this.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:24 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The glass is great. Not only does it cut down on road and outside noise, it keeps the car much cooler when it's in the sun.
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 04:42 PM
Strassenkurven
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I can hear the PSE reasonably well with my insulated glass. 970.1 Panamera PSE was more quiet and would block the noise a lot more easily, but 970.2 and later PSE is louder and should be less of an issue. Of course, the glass does still block some of the noise. Opening my windows some makes the exhaust very obviously louder.

My note on the insulated glass is that it's two pieces of glass stuck together.. so the windows are thicker. The only issue I can think of with this is that any aftermarket tint will be even more likely to be damaged unless the requisite felt strip is added by the installer. Make sure they do that, and you should be ok. My tint is streaked/grooved all over the place

Burmester is great. It's a very good factory stereo. For me, it's worth it. However.. if you are the type of person to eventually go with an aftermarket setup (whether it's the DSP or speakers), consider saving the money now and putting it into a decent aftermarket system. A very good factory system is still not great compared with a moderately high quality aftermarket system. . But if you're going to stick with factory.. the Burmester system is about as good as you'll find. I really appreciate mine.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:03 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Burmester is much better than the Bose, but it is reasonably easy to defeat with custom builds that place better speakers. The actual speaker quality in the Burmester isn't hat high.

It all starts with how mediocre the Bose is. To avoid it and not modify the car your only choice is the Burmester.
The following users liked this post:
Strassenkurven (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:42 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 692 Likes on 417 Posts

Sound insulated glass wasn’t on my required options when looking. After having it, I wouldn’t buy without. I got mine mainly for long trips, and it makes stunning difference, you’d be surprised how much an impact noise has when driving for hours. DD locally for short trips it may not be a big deal, but if you road trip it’s a major improvement.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:25 PM
wizardsfan11
4th Gear

Great, thanks everyone for the responses!
Old 08-16-2020, 10:01 AM
trinerd
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Late to the party here but I have the noise/thermally insulated glass and Burmester in my 2018 Turbo ST and definitely recommend both. As others have said, the Burmester is really nice and much better than the Bose in the cars I tested before buying mine. As for the glass, I've done 400+ mile trips in a couple of my other cars recently and definitely take the insulated glass for granted now - the road noise was quite annoying for 5+ hours in the non-Porsches whereas I didn't even notice think about it in the ST. I can also hear the PSE well enough with the windows up (not super loud but you can tell it's there), but as has been mentioned it's much better with the windows down. And it may be in my head because in the summer in AZ if you park outside no amount of insulation will keep your car from being an oven but mine feels slightly less oven-like than my others when I get back inside. Personally I'd go for both options again.

Good luck in your search!

Quick Reply: Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass/Burmester High End