Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Lithium Ion jump starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 06:02 PM
exaramco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lithium Ion jump starter

My 2015 Panamera base battery died recently from lack of driving. I have two Lithium Ion jump starters rated at 200 amp avg. with 400 amp peak; I keep both jumpers fully charged. I attached the first jumper to the terminals under the hood with no luck--the engine would not turn over. I then attached the same jumper to the battery terminals in the back of the car again; with no luck. I then attached one jumper to the front terminals and one on the battery terminals and waited a few minutes. The engine tried to turn over but just couldn't. So, am I doing something wrong? Do I need a larger capacity jumper? I am puzzled because the same jumper once started a 450 hp, V8, Pontiac with a totally dead battery. Surely, the Panamera six would not require more power? Ideas? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:38 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,054 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by exaramco
My 2015 Panamera base battery died recently from lack of driving. I have two Lithium Ion jump starters rated at 200 amp avg. with 400 amp peak; I keep both jumpers fully charged. I attached the first jumper to the terminals under the hood with no luck--the engine would not turn over. I then attached the same jumper to the battery terminals in the back of the car again; with no luck. I then attached one jumper to the front terminals and one on the battery terminals and waited a few minutes. The engine tried to turn over but just couldn't. So, am I doing something wrong? Do I need a larger capacity jumper? I am puzzled because the same jumper once started a 450 hp, V8, Pontiac with a totally dead battery. Surely, the Panamera six would not require more power? Ideas? Thanks.
Depends on the Brand, and also the Capacity and the battery inside the unit. Some brands are using a cheaper less powerful Cells inside and they are much cheaper in cost. Some state that they have X amount of capacity. And also just as you are saying it might just be the cars battery system drawing in alot of the Jumper Energy... so you do need to size up on the Jump Starter. Also make sure you connection is very good with several of the teeth on the connection point. We make one called the Xp-10 that can start 7.3 liter Diesel Motors... but sometimes folk call as say it won't start thier V8.... so we say... do the teeth have a good connection because you cant put a couple hundred Amp in Current through the 1/16" tip of the teeth connecting only at a few point. So you need to make sure that connection is good also. But two should definately be putting out some serious power to get it cranking. If they are good ones.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:08 AM
exaramco
Track Day

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:12 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Why not recharge the Battery overnight, then start it after several hours of recharging.
If my cars are sitting idle, as they now all are, I recharge them all at least once a month.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:10 AM
SUPWAGON
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just looked at the antigravity website, I am wondering any discount codes for PCA or Rennlist members?
Old 04-28-2020, 11:20 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SUPWAGON
Just looked at the antigravity website, I am wondering any discount codes for PCA or Rennlist members?
You can email chad@antigravitybatteries.com and we'd be happy to see what we can do for you!
Old 04-28-2020, 01:12 PM
exaramco
Track Day

I tried recharging overnight with a car battery charger. The battery drew no amps at all; like it was an open circuit. Finally changed the battery; problem solved. I do keep all my car batteries on Ctek trickle chargers. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:30 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by exaramco
I tried recharging overnight with a car battery charger. The battery drew no amps at all; like it was an open circuit. Finally changed the battery; problem solved. I do keep all my car batteries on Ctek trickle chargers. Thanks for your reply.
to answer your earlier question, the reason the car wouldn't start with your jump starter, is that the battery voltage was too low. The battery needs to be around 9 to 10 volts before a jump starter will work. if you can, get your car gateway module updated to reflect the new battery, The charging characteristics are determined by the size and age of the battery and type in the newer models. If the gateway module doesn't know you have a new battery, it keeps charging it like an older one
Old 05-02-2020, 11:46 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
to answer your earlier question, the reason the car wouldn't start with your jump starter, is that the battery voltage was too low. The battery needs to be around 9 to 10 volts before a jump starter will work. if you can, get your car gateway module updated to reflect the new battery, The charging characteristics are determined by the size and age of the battery and type in the newer models. If the gateway module doesn't know you have a new battery, it keeps charging it like an older one
Actually our Jump Starter like the MICRO-START XP-10 would jump start the car even if it had 4-volts, it not about if the Cars Battery voltage is low, its about if the Jump Starter they use has the capacity and power to jump start the Car. But our XP-10 would start most any car or truck even at 4 volts....
Old 05-03-2020, 10:15 AM
LowOnCash
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I would charge the battery rather than take any chances with the electrical system.

Stay Safe - Mike
Old 05-03-2020, 10:35 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Actually our Jump Starter like the MICRO-START XP-10 would jump start the car even if it had 4-volts, it not about if the Cars Battery voltage is low, its about if the Jump Starter they use has the capacity and power to jump start the Car. But our XP-10 would start most any car or truck even at 4 volts....
I have a jump starter that jumps diesel trucks but when the voltage is low the gateway module says, let’s wait a moment.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:09 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have a jump starter that jumps diesel trucks but when the voltage is low the gateway module says, let’s wait a moment.
Oh yes for sure if your diesel has glow plugs and stuff that have to get current and warm the system... but a gasoline Car, we can fire those up readily even at 4volts.... less than 2v and our Jump STarter will ask if your sure because you are not supposed to charge completely flat batteries at 2v.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:44 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Oh yes for sure if your diesel has glow plugs and stuff that have to get current and warm the system... but a gasoline Car, we can fire those up readily even at 4volts.... less than 2v and our Jump STarter will ask if your sure because you are not supposed to charge completely flat batteries at 2v.
LOL no my panny doesn't have glow plugs
Old 05-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

LOL no my panny doesn't have glow plugs
Ha...., I was talking about Trucks....older beefy hard to start Diesels with glow plugs pulling current too. Anyway a Panny is not that for sure... so that would be no sweat...

Quick Reply: Lithium Ion jump starter