Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Replacement batteries - what did you put in as a replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 01:33 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

the battery from Batteries Plus is the same as the DieHard and Banner, as well. the case is identical in every way.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:28 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Just so you know that Banner Porsche Battery is the same that is offered by several other brands. There are only about 4 companies that bring in 90% of the Lead batteries into the USA. Johnson Controls being the largest by far. And if the Case is exactly the same then the battery is the same. For example the H8 size Walmart Platinum plus is the same as the Bosche, is the same as Autocraft same as Autozone Duralast... and it goes on and on. Just a different lable. Do a "H8 battery size" search on Google.... then click on the "images" under the search bar and you can compare the batteries that look exactly the same.. you will see a bunch of batteries that are the H8 with the grey bottom and same cap and handles.... many different brands and all the same battery.

These Battery Manufacturers don't make tons of different cases for these batteries and change the internals, it would be to expensive. So if the case looks the exact same it is the same battery. For the Banners look at the handles and details, and then just peruse the pictures of the batteries online and see if they are the same exact shape.
Hey I’m glad you joined this thread. Do you know if one of your lithium batteries is suitable for the 2018 Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid?
Old 02-14-2020, 11:15 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Hey I’m glad you joined this thread. Do you know if one of your lithium batteries is suitable for the 2018 Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid?
WE have not tested for this though are just starting to talk to some people about testing in some of the Hybrids that are having problems. We want to see if the RE-START feature could be beneficial to those whose Batteries are draining fast then leaving them stranded because they have to go through the method of recharging the battery and waiting for the system. But I've only post like two offer and got two responses for testing. So to answer the question, I don't see why they would not work, but I really don't know since we have not sold any I am aware of into that Car since we focus on the Porsche Sports Cars.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:29 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
WE have not tested for this though are just starting to talk to some people about testing in some of the Hybrids that are having problems. We want to see if the RE-START feature could be beneficial to those whose Batteries are draining fast then leaving them stranded because they have to go through the method of recharging the battery and waiting for the system. But I've only post like two offer and got two responses for testing. So to answer the question, I don't see why they would not work, but I really don't know since we have not sold any I am aware of into that Car since we focus on the Porsche Sports Cars.
Hey a Turbo S is a sports car regardless of the body shape!

I'm interested in this. I think the weight saving and the better reliability of the Lithium battery makes sense. How have the tests been going on the two prototypes? BTW Isn't it just the Panamera e-Hybrid that uses lead acid? I thought the Cayenne e-Hybrid used OEM Lithium 48v starter battery.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:56 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Hey a Turbo S is a sports car regardless of the body shape!

I'm interested in this. I think the weight saving and the better reliability of the Lithium battery makes sense. How have the tests been going on the two prototypes? BTW Isn't it just the Panamera e-Hybrid that uses lead acid? I thought the Cayenne e-Hybrid used OEM Lithium 48v starter battery.
We have not started testing on the SUVs just talking to some that we are arranging to put in for testing. 2 people so far.

Panamera is for sure sports/luxury... we just haven't really posted over there or approached that side really. So have not tested yet in one.

From my understanding yes the lead in the Panamera as well as earlier SUVs but I believe it was 2019 and 2020 SUV using the Lithium Battery, but I thought it was 12v not 24v for the Starter Battery. I don't want to profess I am that knowledgeable with the SUVs yet since we have not interacted enough, nor done testing. I'm trying to get familiar with their issues more recently... which seem very frustrating for the owners. But as we test and learn more I will be more involved and be able to speak on it with more knowledge.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:13 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

the new AGM is in and no one should feel intimidated by this this battery swap. from start to finish - turning the car on - we're talking about 30-40 minutes and i took my time. the only thing necessary seems to be the constant power from the charger. if you do that, it's like any other battery swap. i pulled a Varta battery out - not sure if that was an alternative supplier or not the original. i thought the car was still on it's original battery. if you get a Grp49 AGM, this shouldn't cost anyone more than $200. it's unbelievable the dealers try to get $900 for this service, although most panamera owners probably do.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:52 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts

I got a battery from Rawauto.com, my source for parts that are not Porsche specific. Great deal on brake rotors and pads. The is a battery replacement procedure in the gateway module which records manufacturer, serial number size of battery and part number. Battery change is then recorded by the gateway module. I am not sure how much this information is used but the size is used on models such as the 991 where different sizes can be used to determine how long the car can use the start stop function.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:53 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

That is definitely a factory battery, the Part number is there as well as that bar code.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:27 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
thanks for the replies.

H8/group 49 is the size and I will be sticking with an AGM battery. i'll have to look into the trickle charger issue - i have several, but unsure if they are AGM compatible. is simply attaching a booster/jump starter box to the terminals an option?
Yes attaching jumper cables to the jump points under the hood will work. Tooltopia and others sell a device called a memory saver which is made for this purpose.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:10 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Out of interest did anyone go for the larger 105ah battery over the standard 95ah one?

Old 04-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Stringbag
Pro

I took the plunge and installed a 105ah battery.

Just like the pictures a couple of threads up, my black OEM Porsche battery was made by Varta, with Varta stamps all over it. Part number 7PP 915 105 - 95ah.
This is a Varta 595 901 085 AGM and is 353mm x 175mm x 190mm 850CCA.

The parts catalogue lists a more powerful 105ah battery as an option - part number 958 611 105.
This is a slightly longer battery - 394mm rather than 353mm, the same dimensions in width and height as the other. Again made by Varta and the part number is 605 901 095 AGM. It more powerful (950 CCA) and has more capacity (105ah)

So, does it fit? Yes it does. Still plenty of room in the box but it fits perfectly.

I coded the new battery into the gateway module with Icarscan and done.

Monitored the drain over a week or so with the antigravity battery monitor and definitely holds more juice! Voltage remains higher after 7 days whilst not driven (12.56v vs12.43v) and cranking performance better too.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Stringbag
Pro

And this is the data you need to code a new battery.
the info the module retains is amazing - it knows how long the battery has been in there, what charge it can hold etc etc. Lots of info.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 66 Posts

I bought a '14 4S a month or so ago and it has the Varta battery. On two occasions, while sitting in the garage with the key on, learning the systems and playing with the tech, I've gotten a low battery warning and the voltage showed below 12v. This was after only 5 minutes or so with the key on. I probably need to replace the battery, but I would like to confirm it is original (seems unlikely) or whether it could be a 2nd battery that still has some warranty from Porsche. I don't see any dates on the battery, but I may call the dealership that serviced it to see if they have any info.

On the gateway mentioned above, is that a mobile app or data stored in the car itself accessed by an app? How critical is it to update that data?
Old 04-17-2020, 01:14 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Don Carter
I bought a '14 4S a month or so ago and it has the Varta battery. On two occasions, while sitting in the garage with the key on, learning the systems and playing with the tech, I've gotten a low battery warning and the voltage showed below 12v. This was after only 5 minutes or so with the key on. I probably need to replace the battery, but I would like to confirm it is original (seems unlikely) or whether it could be a 2nd battery that still has some warranty from Porsche. I don't see any dates on the battery, but I may call the dealership that serviced it to see if they have any info.

On the gateway mentioned above, is that a mobile app or data stored in the car itself accessed by an app? How critical is it to update that data?
The gateway module uses the install date to decide just how much and how hard to charge a battery. As it gets older the charging characteristics change and the gateway module changes the charging to accommodate it. If the battery change was done by Porsche, the change date will be stored in the module. If the battery was changed by another and the module wasn't updated, then it thinks it has a 6 year old battery and not a 2 year old battery. Not updating the information leads to premature battery failure, so I am told.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:17 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the info. Can this data be updated with a standard ODBII app or do you have to have the special Porsche computer?

Quick Reply: Replacement batteries - what did you put in as a replacement?