Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Wait, the Panamera is good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 AM
triniexr
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c4racer
I didn't really think of the Panamera as a low car, but had my parents around town when they visited us last month, and both my Mom and Dad commented that the car was so low it was difficult to get in and out of.
Since I've owned Corvette's, 911s, Miata's and Camaro's - it sure doesn't seem low to me but I guess that's all relative. My mom's car is a E60 BMW 5 series, and apparently the Panamera is a lot lower to the ground and much lower seating position as well. I guess that does explain how the car drives much more like a sports car than a smaller BMW 5 series does. And of course it won't even compare to any SUV - even a Porsche compact one in terms of handling - you would have to figure that would be the case.
If I have elderly people in my car I'll raise the air suspension for them to get in and out of, doesn't seem like much but it does make a difference. I like how the new 2020 S8 will do this automatically when you are getting in and out of the car.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
If I have elderly people in my car I'll raise the air suspension for them to get in and out of, doesn't seem like much but it does make a difference. I like how the new 2020 S8 will do this automatically when you are getting in and out of the car.
I have the steel suspension, so can't do that! Good idea though. And yes things we take for granted aren't so easy when you get to 80 - if you are blessed to get to 80 and beyond. I was getting a hair cut last week and the customer after me just turned 99. He looked to be in great shape and still drives and everything. No cane or walker or anything. amazing! Just never know how that's all going to go!!
Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 PM
nvrsetl
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by krabman
I rented one at Enterprise, something like a day into the rental I knew I was going to buy one. I had intended to pick one up when I returned from that trip but instant gratification was not to be had; it took a few months to find my options and deal.
I did this as well, - a hybrid. After a day in the car I was hooked. After owning several AMG's, M5's the Pam was the best performance sedan I've experienced in a short amount of time.

A few years later I couldn't get the experience out of my head so I eventually ended up buying a PTT.....no regrets!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:23 PM
Yvette362
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good move! I test drove a Macan turbo as well and wasn't impressed. I was coming from a Cayenne S then Mercedes G55 so wanted something with a little more swag. The panamera ST hit all those marks for me: roomy, classy but still a boss *** car that will outdrive most
Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by nvrsetl
I did this as well, - a hybrid. After a day in the car I was hooked. After owning several AMG's, M5's the Pam was the best performance sedan I've experienced in a short amount of time.

A few years later I couldn't get the experience out of my head so I eventually ended up buying a PTT.....no regrets!
I've done a few M cars myself, they've kinda lost their mojo in my opinion but I suppose that's the subject of a different thread. I'm going to make Mrs Crab aware of your post, she seems to think I'm the only man on the planet that would rent a car and then decide I have to have it.
The following users liked this post:
nvrsetl (01-16-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:05 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 560 Posts

I have a 911/4S and its a totally different thing compared to my 18 Pan Turbo. The Pan is an absolute beast and quite nimble for its size. Now the 911 is more nimble and can dart in and out of lanes almost sideways. Im not saying I have buyers remorse when speaking about the 911 but a Turbo Pan is in a class all by it self and Im very happy with it.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:30 PM
nvrsetl
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=krabman;16353656]I've done a few M cars myself, they've kinda lost their mojo

+1 on this with the exception of E39 M5. I've owned 3 and every time I sold one I ended up buying another. Perfect blend of power and space coupled with a 6spd makes a classic. (IMO)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:52 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

[QUOTE=nvrsetl;16357811]
Originally Posted by krabman
I've done a few M cars myself, they've kinda lost their mojo

+1 on this with the exception of E39 M5. I've owned 3 and every time I sold one I ended up buying another. Perfect blend of power and space coupled with a 6spd makes a classic. (IMO)
yes - agree. I've had 2 myself. I think they meant later M cars like the current M3 and F10 M5 have departed from the original formula a bit. I think the E39 is the last great M5 for sure.

I've thought about going back to one, but the Panamera is a much nicer long distance road trip car which is how I use it. As a daily driver sedan the E39 M5 is pretty hard to beat.
nvrsetl (01-17-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
I have a 911/4S and its a totally different thing compared to my 18 Pan Turbo. The Pan is an absolute beast and quite nimble for its size. Now the 911 is more nimble and can dart in and out of lanes almost sideways. Im not saying I have buyers remorse when speaking about the 911 but a Turbo Pan is in a class all by it self and Im very happy with it.
the low end torque on the turbo Pan is a lot better than the 991 carrera. the turbo Pan is a beast on the straights. you’d want to try a 992 4S to get a better comparison, turbo vs turbo. That torque changes the feel considerably.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:32 AM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve had a 964 RS America back in the nineties, followed by a string of Audi’s, then a Macan and now the P4. I took the Macan in for its 20k service and they gave me a Panamera loaner. Long story short, here I am.

To me the Panamera seems to sit lower than most sedans like the Audi A series. I think part of it is that I have my seat flat down on the floor pan and the seats aren’t as tall as found on the usual sedans. That said, you can’t open the door on the P4 and easily reach down and touch the ground like I could on the RS.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:29 AM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Vote?

Momvivant (01-19-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 03:12 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
Here's the deal. Every time I go to a Porsche dealership, which over the last two years has been very often, I look at the Panamera and say to myself "if only it were smaller". Every time I go I say that, and I've never driven it.

I had a Macan Turbo, it wasn't quite enough for me, and I've been waiting on my 992 build to lock. I've been growing more concerned that I need AWD (the 4 and 4S 992s just are more than I'm willing to spend) and more practicality.

So, finally, after two years of looking at Panameras.. I drove one.

What the hell, guys? How is the Panamera so good? I mean.. how? It's incredibly better than a Macan Turbo and that was just driving the 4S. Is it a 911? No, obviously not, but it's WAY closer to a 911 than it is to a Macan. Sure, the new sticker price is crazy but the CPOs on these things are amazing bargains.

I cancelled my 992 allocation and I'm currently negotiating on a low mileage, 2018 Turbo Sport Turismo.

What a gem of a car. I'm just shocked.
I’m on my 3rd Pana, love the car.

Had M6, Audi S6, S class, Cayenne S, GTS over the years. Liked them all (S6 was favorite of the bunch). Drove 992 S at several track events, really liked it. But didn’t love it. Love my Pana. Have a 2020 on order.

btw, base car is the lightest and therefore the most dynamic of the bunch. I’d skip the 2018 Turbo and get a new 2020 base. Fantastic machine.

Quick Reply: Wait, the Panamera is good?