Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Warped brake rotor - warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 11:30 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Warped brake rotor - warranty?

Took my car in for its 10000 mile (1st, free) service and a handful of seemingly minor issues for the most part. Car is a 2018 PTT ST purchased new from a remote dealer and shipped to me back in March of this year.

I told the SA that I felt a shuddering when braking moderately hard (or harder) from speed, and that it definitely wasn't ABS pulsing as I felt it in the steering wheel and seat but not in the pedal. And it tracked a bit with speed i.e. the shuddering slowed as the vehicle did, independent of road service. He said he thought it sounded like a warped rotor, and he'd have to see "what they would do" as far as warranty given the mileage on the car. He said if the car had had "a few thousand" miles on it then it'd probably be a warranty thing, but in my case he wasn't sure. Car has almost exactly 10000 miles on it (10094) and the issue started probably a month or two ago. I've had the car for about 8 months. I didn't take it in immediately because the brakes still seemed to work fine in terms of stopping power, it didn't overly bother me or passengers, and I had this service visit on the horizon as I'd scheduled it way in advance in order to get a loaner, and to coincide with the timing to swap my snow tires on the car.

So I wanted to check in with you all. What do you think - should this be covered under warranty regardless? Or did I screw up by not bringing it in straight away after the first time I felt it?

Old 11-18-2019, 02:18 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Typically warp rotors is not covered under warranty. They generally blame it on the user but it could of happened on a couple spirited test drives before you purchased the car. I don't know your driving habits but enough high speed turns with late trail braking can start to heat flash the rotors or warp them considering the weight of the PTT.

I had to fight tooth and nail to get it covered under warranty for my 2017 R8.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:03 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fkim011
Typically warp rotors is not covered under warranty. They generally blame it on the user but it could of happened on a couple spirited test drives before you purchased the car. I don't know your driving habits but enough high speed turns with late trail braking can start to heat flash the rotors or warp them considering the weight of the PTT.

I had to fight tooth and nail to get it covered under warranty for my 2017 R8.
My guess is that I'm at the tamer end of the spectrum in how I drive, though that's probably impossible to prove at this point. Depending on what they come back with I may have to fight tooth and nail too...
Old 11-21-2019, 04:31 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Update: both front rotors replaced under warranty
The following 2 users liked this post by pokingaround:
chassis (11-23-2019), GoBlue! (11-24-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:36 PM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Good on ya!
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (11-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Warped brake rotor - warranty?