Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Is PDLS a must have or is the LED sufficient

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019 | 06:37 PM
JLPeninsula
8th Gear

Default Is PDLS a must have or is the LED sufficient

Hi Everyone

Thanks for reading and giving me input. I'm new to Rennlist and working on getting a Panamera 4 e-Hybrid.

I'm looking at two options - one of the vehicles has PDLS as part of the premium plus package and the other only has the standard LED lights.

These vehicles are already on the dealer lot, so its not a custom order.

Just wondering how people felt about the PDLS, especially it makes a big difference on the freeway after traveling the distance at 68mph or over 81mph.

Is this a must have feature or are the standard LED lights sufficient.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2019 | 07:56 PM
krabman
Pro

I'd say the premium plus package is a must making the lights a moot point. The lighting with the PDLS is quite good but to take a step back I didn't look at any cars without the premium package so I never sampled the base lights and they might be fine. If it does come up the Matrix lights are gimped in the US but the DOT has completed a study recommending their adoption so it is expected we'll have those working in a year or two. In Canada where the lights will be approved in 20 Porsche has stated the full function could be turned on in programming and that would be available (in exchange for your hard earned ching of course) to Canadian owners that requested it. No announcement for the US but it would seem likely they can also turn on the function here as well when they're approved.
Old 09-18-2019 | 09:05 PM
lexhair
Pro

I've got PDLS with LEDs on my 970.2 It's a rare spec for a 2014. The LEDs are terrific. I'm shocked they are still doing Xenon in some of the product line (Caymans, etc). The PDLS makes no discernable difference to me on the freeway.

Where it makes a huge difference is back roads in more remote areas. The auto-high beam feature is awesome in these conditions. I live in a suburban area with street lights so it hardly ever activates. However, if I'm driving "up county" at night, the PDLS is fantastic.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2019 | 11:25 PM
Strassenkurven
Instructor

This thread is different if it's about a 970 or 971...

That said, I personally would want as much of whatever dynamic lighting is offered. I'm deeply saddened that we aren't allowed to make full use of the matrix LEDs in the US.

To me this is a preference though. Having the LEDs is more of a no-brainer, over going with bi-xenons. But any form of PDLS is a bonus that some may not want to pay for over standard LEDs.
Old 09-19-2019 | 09:35 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Curious as to what is full functionality. Will lights move on corners?
Old 09-19-2019 | 11:40 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

The lights will move around corners but things like the whole dazzle features don't work in the US. In the bmw world a lot of folks programmed those back into their cars, however I am unaware if you can do that here. I like the all black housing but I think it's a bit spendy for something that doesn't get full functionality. Plus I like the Macan LED style base LED headlamps. But as someone mentioned earlier premium package plus gets you the LEDs on the cheap. Most of that equipment you probably want anyway.
Old 09-22-2019 | 09:31 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I've had LED headlights on my Porsches with and without PDLS. The cornering is nice in the PDLS, but totally unnecessary. In my latest build (2019 Macan), I just got the standard LED headlights and they are fine. I'm extremely happy with the brightness of my non-PDLS LED headlights at night, and am glad that I didn't spend the extra money. (In my 2018 Panamera, I had to order PDLS to get the night-vision infrared camera that I wanted.)

Quick Reply: Is PDLS a must have or is the LED sufficient