Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera turbo or gts help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM
RDR142
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I have '13 GTS and have no regrets. i went through same decision making process. to me it came down to sport appearance package (standard), sitting lower, heavier steering and better sounding. also i wanted carmine interior package and only came on GTS. it has nearly every upgrade/option turbo has but just had a better driving feel to me. the turbo is crazy fast but i prefer handling and curves more than flat out speed. i don't feel i'm lacking in power ever. it has plenty to get the car moving for my needs. when i drove both models, i just felt more of a connection to the car in the GTS which made my decision. i have a tuned x5m if i need all out power but i honestly never use it's full potential either.
it comes down to your preference and needs. either way you can't go wrong. choose which one is best for you and enjoy!
Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 133 Posts

I think $150 +/- is where I’d shoot for on that Turbo S as @pokingaround says. A $203 is a lightly configured car, probably missing RAS, Burmester, etc. They may scoff at $150, if so just walk beyond mid $150s. I just picked up a new 18 Turbo S ST for ~27% off MSRP and got them to add in CPO so I think the low $150s is a great target on a $203 car. If you are really getting into the $160s I think there are a couple better Turbo Ss out there than a $203 car.
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:47 PM
socalcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I would ask for $150K, which is 25%. With some patience, you will get the deal.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent a lot of time last year test driving the 4S and the Turbo back-to-back. I liked the 4S... a little lighter and it was fun slamming my foot on the pedal and downshifting in order to make it move... it's a little more "engaging," so to speak. The GTS wasn't yet out and I felt certain that that would be the sweet spot. But when I looked at the specs I decided against it. It really is just a de-tuned Turbo with some visual bits. And it's lowered--to me that was a deal-breaker as I live in the NE and have the crappy roads to deal with. If you don't have to have the Turbo, get the 4S (make sure you get sport chrono) and spec it properly.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:09 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
I think $150 +/- is where I’d shoot for on that Turbo S as @pokingaround says. A $203 is a lightly configured car, probably missing RAS, Burmester, etc. They may scoff at $150, if so just walk beyond mid $150s. I just picked up a new 18 Turbo S ST for ~27% off MSRP and got them to add in CPO so I think the low $150s is a great target on a $203 car. If you are really getting into the $160s I think there are a couple better Turbo Ss out there than a $203 car.
Might be a dumb question, but how does that work on a brand new/never titled car that's an 18? Wouldn't new car warranty start on day 1 vs. needing to get a CPO? Or was this a titled car?
Old 07-23-2019, 05:42 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Originally Posted by raydog9379
Might be a dumb question, but how does that work on a brand new/never titled car that's an 18? Wouldn't new car warranty start on day 1 vs. needing to get a CPO? Or was this a titled car?
Multiple dealers have told me it is possible to CPO a new never titled car. In my case, have the full 4/50 factory warranty plus 2 more years and unlimited miles on the CPO. Basically covered through 2025 with unlimited miles. I put on 20-25k miles a year and the Porsche CPO program is best-in-industry and a no-brained since I split the cost with the dealer as a sales incentive to move the car.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:31 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
Multiple dealers have told me it is possible to CPO a new never titled car. In my case, have the full 4/50 factory warranty plus 2 more years and unlimited miles on the CPO. Basically covered through 2025 with unlimited miles. I put on 20-25k miles a year and the Porsche CPO program is best-in-industry and a no-brained since I split the cost with the dealer as a sales incentive to move the car.
Oh man I wish I’d known to ask when I negotiated mine!
Old 07-24-2019, 03:29 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Oh man I wish I’d known to ask when I negotiated mine!
I probably shouldn’t tell you what I paid for the CPO then....
Old 08-07-2019, 09:35 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I’ve said this before I don’t understand the 19 GTS at all. I have the turbo and the sport exhaust sounds fantastic and it has 100 more horsepower. Love the car.

That being said I am envious I might’ve pulled out and M5 deal recently 1200 a month no money down on a lease
What the GTS lacks in bhp to the TT, it makes up for in steering feel, more stiff ride, and handling laterally. 10mm lower on such a big car makes a big difference as well.

Whatever Panny you get, BE SURE TO GET PDCC. You'll thank me later.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Just a reminder to everyone - there are still "still-new" 2018 Panamera Turbos on the lot, including Sport Turismos. Not nearly as many as there were a few months ago, but the ones left are being puked out right now so get em while they're hot. I'm talking openly advertising $30k discounts, easily talked to $40-45k. I got a deal like this, as did at least one other poster...
as well they should, PTT values drop like a rock.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:30 AM
mawhitt01
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Georgemaser
After selling my 2014 PTTS last year I am now ready to get one again. I am unsure if I should get a 2018Panamera turbo or go for a 2019 Panamera gts this time. For my summer toy, I currently drive a 2019 911 4gts and can’t believe how much I love it. I had a 2018 911 turboS that was crazy fast but to me lacked the emotional/visceral sensation, not to mention sound that the 911 4gts has. For those who have the new Panamera turbo or gts’, will I feel the same way? Or with a car like that will I be missing the HP and torque?
Let me know when you are ready to get out of the 4GTS!
Old 08-31-2019, 11:05 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delete
Old 08-31-2019, 11:07 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalcarguy
I test drove a 2019 GTS and a 2018 Turbo with similar performance options (rear steering). The GTS does sound and feel more aggressive. The turbo is much more muted in terms of noise (it has sports exhaust). I ended up getting the turbo mainly due to the better deal I got and also wanted leather, more comfortable seats for long road trips. Even in sports plus the turbo doesn’t sound that great in the cabin.

Test drive both and see what you think.
just bought a 2018 turbo basically over the phone and your post has me a little worried.

I test drove a 2019 GTS and soon after instead bought the turbo, purely based on how much i loved the GTS.

ended up going with the turbo for similar reasons as others - could get a much better deal on a year old turbo with a few miles on it. while they were only willing to knock a few thousand $$ off the GTS.

i hope the sound of the turbo isn't that much worse. does it have the pops and bangs on deceleration like the GTS?

i found the ride quality on the gts to be unbelievable compliant. (blew away my recent '15 cls63s. which was very harsh)

the 2019 panamera gts was even better in terms of ride than the f90 m5 i drove the day before.

so now, im curious how the turbo will compare in all theses aspects since i wasn't able to test drive it as it was bought from a dealer across the country.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:05 AM
Strassenkurven
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

With the 970, the GTS basically has a louder exhaust. It also sits a little lower in comfort/sport height (same height as others in sport plus, though). Otherwise, they are the same car with different included options, and obviously the GTS is NA (and, thus, feels a little more direct) and the Turbo is.. turbo.

With the 971 GTS also being a turbo car, I have to assume that the differences are mostly exhaust again. The 970 Turbo is definitely more quiet, but its growl is still very noticeable. I turn heads regularly in mine (even in comfort, thanks to the PSE opening the exhaust some on shifts).

The impressions of the GTS will always be that it's more aggressive, because that's what Porsche wants. They tweak exhaust and suspension a bit. Put both cars in sport plus and you'll find less differences, I reckon.

In the end, the Turbo is the faster car, on the same chassis, with more options. It's a win for me, unless you want a more aggressive feeling car in comfort settings.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:21 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Strassenkurven
With the 970, the GTS basically has a louder exhaust. It also sits a little lower in comfort/sport height (same height as others in sport plus, though). Otherwise, they are the same car with different included options, and obviously the GTS is NA (and, thus, feels a little more direct) and the Turbo is.. turbo.

With the 971 GTS also being a turbo car, I have to assume that the differences are mostly exhaust again. The 970 Turbo is definitely more quiet, but its growl is still very noticeable. I turn heads regularly in mine (even in comfort, thanks to the PSE opening the exhaust some on shifts).

The impressions of the GTS will always be that it's more aggressive, because that's what Porsche wants. They tweak exhaust and suspension a bit. Put both cars in sport plus and you'll find less differences, I reckon.

In the end, the Turbo is the faster car, on the same chassis, with more options. It's a win for me, unless you want a more aggressive feeling car in comfort settings.
I agree with this. On the last bit, one could always 'sport up' the feel of Normal mode by turning on PSE, turning off Auto Start/Stop, and setting it as the Individual mode.

Quick Reply: Panamera turbo or gts help me decide