Notices

Panamera turbo or gts help me decide

Old 07-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Georgemaser
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera turbo or gts help me decide

After selling my 2014 PTTS last year I am now ready to get one again. I am unsure if I should get a 2018Panamera turbo or go for a 2019 Panamera gts this time. For my summer toy, I currently drive a 2019 911 4gts and can’t believe how much I love it. I had a 2018 911 turboS that was crazy fast but to me lacked the emotional/visceral sensation, not to mention sound that the 911 4gts has. For those who have the new Panamera turbo or gts’, will I feel the same way? Or with a car like that will I be missing the HP and torque?
Old 07-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Georgemaser
User

Any thoughts from some of you experts out there would be much appreciated, please!
Old 07-06-2019, 06:55 PM
socalcarguy
User

I test drove a 2019 GTS and a 2018 Turbo with similar performance options (rear steering). The GTS does sound and feel more aggressive. The turbo is much more muted in terms of noise (it has sports exhaust). I ended up getting the turbo mainly due to the better deal I got and also wanted leather, more comfortable seats for long road trips. Even in sports plus the turbo doesnít sound that great in the cabin.

Test drive both and see what you think.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Georgemaser
User

Originally Posted by socalcarguy View Post
I test drove a 2019 GTS and a 2018 Turbo with similar performance options (rear steering). The GTS does sound and feel more aggressive. The turbo is much more muted in terms of noise (it has sports exhaust). I ended up getting the turbo mainly due to the better deal I got and also wanted leather, more comfortable seats for long road trips. Even in sports plus the turbo doesn’t sound that great in the cabin.

Test drive both and see what you think.
socalcarguy, thank you! I did that exactly that thing this afternoon and you are so right. The gts felt much better to me. More engaging,fun. However, there does seem to be an abundance of turbos out there and I can get a substantial savings on the one I drove. Decisions, decisions ... such world class problems! Lol
Old 07-06-2019, 07:12 PM
Outlaw
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve said this before I don’t understand the 19 GTS at all. I have the turbo and the sport exhaust sounds fantastic and it has 100 more horsepower. Love the car.

That being said I am envious I might’ve pulled out and M5 deal recently 1200 a month no money down on a lease
Old 07-06-2019, 07:55 PM
malrash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unless I am mistaken, isnít the gts merely a cheaper turbo with a detuned engine. How can it feel more sporty and sound better if they are identical cars. Or does the turbo have more insulation.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:05 PM
Outlaw
User

Originally Posted by malrash View Post
Unless I am mistaken, isn’t the gts merely a cheaper turbo with a detuned engine. How can it feel more sporty and sound better if they are identical cars. Or does the turbo have more insulation.
Yes.

The GTS used to be the sweet spot in the lineup with all the right driving options. Now it’s just detuned and more expensive comparatively than ever.

Maybe the turbo he drove had insulated glass.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:18 AM
krabman
User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're going to option your car up the wheels and many other options are much less on the GTS compared to the 4S so it can work out somewhat favorably for it when looking at a GTS of a similar price to a heavily optioned 4S in terms of sacrificing a few goodies to step up to the next model. Another angle is that to someone like me getting any Panamera with no options is unthinkable, no way will I own a car that is far less well equipped than Sante Fe Sport at 4 or more times the price. Performance, badge, pedigree, don't care, not going there. To me every Panamera needs at bare minimum 30k in options just to be possible in terms of getting over the Santa Fe bar. This means my options are the 135k 4S (what I have), a 155 GTS, and a 180 turbo. I know those numbers are not quite exact but I think they're close enough for illustration: The GTS is quite a bit less of a leap for someone like me who is reaching the end of his financial capabilities, I would have to sacrifice a few things to get the GTS, but it's possible. The Turbo is also possible but I'd have to get that no options model and look upon every Santa Fe I passed with envy over their superior options loadout. No chance I go there and cant afford to get a car that's better equipped so to me the Turbo is off the menu. All of that is a long way of getting to the point: I think far more people are reaching up to the GTS from a model below than are deciding between it and a Turbo.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:40 AM
ACowabunga
Addict
Rennlist Member

To piggy back on everyone's insight, the GTS has much of the normal options, that are normally found on the 4S and Turbo configurations page, as "Standard" already. Purchasing a vehicle that has a V8, albeit detuned, that can make the same gutteral noises as the Turbo and only slightly slower was something that I recently had to consider for my foray into the Panamera world. I found enough CPO Turbos, Sport Turismos as well, for sale that were well optioned but then there are new Turbos that can be had at any number of dealerships. I ended up ordering a 2020 GTS because of all the standard "options" that came with the car already and the ease of checking boxes for the big ticket options. Yes I'll end up paying slightly more for a new car but I can get the car that I want, with the options I like, without having to compromise on anything. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:38 PM
pokingaround
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a reminder to everyone - there are still "still-new" 2018 Panamera Turbos on the lot, including Sport Turismos. Not nearly as many as there were a few months ago, but the ones left are being puked out right now so get em while they're hot. I'm talking openly advertising $30k discounts, easily talked to $40-45k. I got a deal like this, as did at least one other poster...
Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Paul Rathjen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't understand the GTS model anymore considering it its no longer a higher reving NA V8. Just get the Turbo.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 PM
krabman
User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing of interest to those thinking of going up tempo on the tuning with a GTS thereby getting a less expensive turbo, I have read somewhere that the trans for the Turbo and Turbo S has a stronger gearset. I would want to look into that and verify before buying a GTS with that intent.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:10 PM
LostCowboy
New User

I ordered a 2020 turbo and my dealer gave me a 2019 GTS to drive around for the weekend... it was VERY fun to drive. Hard to beat the noise a V8 makes. I don't think you can go wrong with either; just depends on your budget.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:30 AM
mawhitt01
New User

Default Same boat

Glad to know that Iím not the only person struggling with the 18 Turbo vs 19 GTS dilemma. Seeing a lot of untitled 18s advertised at 30k off. My local dealer is desperate to unload a new 2018 Turbo S- $203k sticker and the dealer is at $165k before Iíve even attempted to negotiate.

Anyone know what a typical discount might be on the 19 GTS? Inventory seems to be piling up on cars in the $140-150 range, and the 20s are right around the corner.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM
pokingaround
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mawhitt01 View Post
Glad to know that Iím not the only person struggling with the 18 Turbo vs 19 GTS dilemma. Seeing a lot of untitled 18s advertised at 30k off. My local dealer is desperate to unload a new 2018 Turbo S- $203k sticker and the dealer is at $165k before Iíve even attempted to negotiate.

Anyone know what a typical discount might be on the 19 GTS? Inventory seems to be piling up on cars in the $140-150 range, and the 20s are right around the corner.
This is why I'm driving a 2018 PTT Sport Turismo. $182k MSRP, $152k advertised, dealer ate $11-12k in negative equity on my trade and paid $2500 for round trip shipping of the cars, I saved about $4k in sales tax on the trade portion (the car I traded was a lease, the trade value on which I had not paid sales tax, so this was true savings to me), and I avoided a looming $6000 mileage penalty on my lease. A no brainer for me. And that was in Feb/March of this year on a car sitting since October of 2017 (!) Honestly, if I were you I'd take that Turbo S. I think at this point you could do a fair amount better than the $165k advertised. Maybe offer $150k to sign on the spot and see? The Turbo is an insane car as-is. Add the insta-torque from the hybrid and........take it and run IMO unless you can't stand something about it like the color.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: