Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Blown tires - Four, already.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown tires - Four, already.

I've blown four tires on my Pan Exec Hybrid/4 already. Two were Pirelli's that went out on a dirt road that was graded. I was pissed, so I had them all switched out to Michelin's. Then, last Friday, I was forced into these small jar-top looking things that they used to demark lanes in Arizona. Blew the front and wrecked the back tire.

None of this should have happened. All tires were blown through the sidewall and not the tread. Is it the weight of the car? The design of the tires? Bad luck and trouble? What?

Anyone?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

No blown tire issues for me in 30k miles of driving in all types of weather and road conditions, including a 3k mile winter road trip to Canada loaded to max weight. However, I do not drive my car off-road as I have an H2 for that. All of my PTT tires are Michelin's.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 236 Posts

Does the hybrid require a special tire load rating relative to non-hybrids. I would verify the load rating is correct.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 PM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Default Good question

Originally Posted by justabout
Does the hybrid require a special tire load rating relative to non-hybrids. I would verify the load rating is correct.
Very interesting. I’m wondering if Porsche, using low profile tires, have overloaded this chassis with electromotive and gasoline engines. That’s a pretty big mistake and a dangerous one, at that.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:38 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzogonzilla
Very interesting. I’m wondering if Porsche, using low profile tires, have overloaded this chassis with electromotive and gasoline engines. That’s a pretty big mistake and a dangerous one, at that.
the electric motor is inline with the engine and transmission (just 1 electric motor instead of the two that the 918 has) and the battery weighs around 500 lbs. All Porsche tires are N spec, made by the selected manufacturer to the specs of the vehicle. The load rating for the tires on this model are XL, which is just a hair under 2,000 lbs per tire. 5,500 lb car, dry, with 8,000 lbs of tire capacity.

Dirt roads are really tough on performance tires and you say you ran over road markers in the second case. You should have the tires inspected in the spirit of failure analysis but it does not sound like tire design is at fault. If you fail in the sidewall on a low profile tire after running over something, pinching is the likely cause. But someone who knows tires should analyze your failed tires to give you an anwser.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:42 AM
dabear
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

60k miles over 2 different PTTs and no tire issues. I don't think its a design/tire issue.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For sure you need to know what the tire pressure was to get anywhere with the tire engineers.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Billings
For sure you need to know what the tire pressure was to get anywhere with the tire engineers.
I’m kind of a nut on having my tire pressures dead on, as I track my GT3’s. They were correct at the time of failure. I’m thinking that it’s just bad luck at this point.

Quick Reply: Blown tires - Four, already.