Panamera 2010-Current

Porsche S E-Hybrid in Winter and electric only distance

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche S E-Hybrid in Winter and electric only distance

As you can see I am a long time P-car owner living in the Northeast. I am considering moving into a used Panamera or Tesla as a daily driver year-round. My budget isn't such that I can get into a new Panamera AWD hybrid, so I am left to consider an S E-Hybrid (likely 2014 or 2015). I am attempting to determine if this is an option for me or if I need to go with a Panamera 4S or D-type Tesla. There are some posts on my questions but nothing definitive - so I ask the following from those with direct experience:

How is the RWD with snow tires (not all-season) in snow?
Is it correct that if I drove approx. 16 miles to and from work (e.g., less than the 20 before gas kicks in) I could travel solely on electric only?

Thanks in advance for your response -

Jeremy
Old 06-14-2019, 04:58 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
As you can see I am a long time P-car owner living in the Northeast. I am considering moving into a used Panamera or Tesla as a daily driver year-round. My budget isn't such that I can get into a new Panamera AWD hybrid, so I am left to consider an S E-Hybrid (likely 2014 or 2015). I am attempting to determine if this is an option for me or if I need to go with a Panamera 4S or D-type Tesla. There are some posts on my questions but nothing definitive - so I ask the following from those with direct experience:

How is the RWD with snow tires (not all-season) in snow?
Is it correct that if I drove approx. 16 miles to and from work (e.g., less than the 20 before gas kicks in) I could travel solely on electric only?

Thanks in advance for your response -

Jeremy
Had an S E Hybrid 2015.
Put winter tyres on but didn't actually get much snow when I had it, so cant comment really. Other than on a RWD 640d BMW winters made a huge difference hence why I put on the Panamera.

The winter range drops, mainly due to cold weather, plus heating on/heated seats etc etc. Just like with petrol, cold weather and accessories will need more fuel.
Also if your journey is urban or motorway/highway makes a difference.
I couldn't get 16 miles urban in winter ( maybe below 6 degrees centigrade).
I did in warmer weather, comfortably.

The other thing about winter tyres, even if no snow they will grip better than summer tyres under 6 degree centigrade.

As an indication of what you can achieve with electric, I do mainly urban on my daily drive.
In my 2017 4 Hybrid, when I had done 16k miles, 10k had been on electric in 14months. Saving a **** load in fuel ( £1.41/ litre today in UK).
Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 AM
CayPan1906
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a 2016 for two winters in Chicago area, with no hint of a problem in snow. I can avoid it, though, because I have an older car to use. Winter tires, of course, since I bought off the lot with summer tires. After all, it’s heavy and has a battery sitting on the rear wheels. Better than a previous Subaru Tribeca.

As for electric only distance in winter, 12 is a good day in winter for me, and that the dash prediction is quite accurate.

Quick Reply: Porsche S E-Hybrid in Winter and electric only distance