Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Negotiation advice wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:28 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by krabman
Wow. Just had a dealer call and I told him to please send me his best offer. He started in on the what can I do to sell you a car right now thing and I told him to please send me his best price and if competitive we would talk. *sigh*
A good response to "what can I do to sell you a car right now" can be to respond with a price that you really would be ready to accept immediately. In this case, at least 20% or more below MSRP. You will probably be told that your figure is impossible, and be given a counter offer. Stick with your figure. Counter offers may well get better. Eventually you may get one good enough to accept, or even, perhaps some days later, have your original offer accepted. Don't be emotional. Ignore the seller's expressed emotion. It's all theater. The only objective is to win financially.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:06 PM
ScreaM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hlvg
In the San Francisco region, after some back & forth, I have recently been offered 15% on a highly optioned 4S ($135K MSRP).
The car was built in April '08 so they probably had it for quite some time.
What do you guys think?
April '08 is a long time ago
Old 06-17-2019, 01:49 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Depreciation is better avoided buying used. Just because you got a discount doesn't really change much because I think everyone gets a decent discount on new, so the used prices are lower anyway. Real question is how much 'extra' are you giving to the dealership end of the day.

Car shopping sucks honestly and I don't know if there is a good way to 'negotiate' other than be willing to buy a less desirable. When spending so much money, you're best of getting what you want.
What you say is largely the case most of the time. However, there is the occasional 'perfect storm' as @Anthony Lai lays out below. He got the same-ish deal I did.

Originally Posted by Anthony Lai
It depends on the base model for 2018 for the discount. I picked up a well-optioned 2018 Turbo Sports Turismo for 24% off. I found several cars and emailed the dealers - once they confirmed the car was in stock, I asked for what kind of sales price they could offer. Most asked me to provide an offer and I started with ~28% - they will say it's not possible and usually offered 15% off. I then just waited and 3 out of the 7 dealers emailed me back after a week with a discount closer to 20%. With some more negotiating, I ended up with 24% with the dealer that had the color I wanted.
Nicely done and welcome! I'm the guy from the LeaseHackr forums so I figured I'd see you here
Old 06-17-2019, 05:12 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

The 18 STs are going to get a bigger discount in the US than can be had on the vanilla sedans, especially the higher end models. I think everyone knows that? And yeah, I get that buying used is going to be the best way to avoid the initial depreciation. We were talking about buying a new car and the discounts required to avoid being money behind on the other end at resale when buying a new but on the lots for a long time car. I do agree that it seemed to me like I could have had a little more but that's about it, I was hitting a ceiling and had been going back and forth with dealers for the work week. I think to get a significantly larger discount on the lower end models you would need an oddball car or good timing, you know, catching a dealer that needs to move a unit to meet a goal, one of those things. And now that I've spent I'm going to keep telling myself that!

Quick Reply: Negotiation advice wanted.