Panamera 2010-Current

road trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:43 PM
groningen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road trip

Going on a long road trip next month and can only imagine what the in set radiator on my gts will look like when we get back. Has anyone covered the grill area with a screen of some kind to keep bugs out. Have clear bra on all front but imagine even this will need to be replaced when i return.

appreciate any help, tx Ed
Old 06-10-2019, 04:47 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes - after taking a rock hit to the condenser and disabling my AC, I installed the black grill mesh from this place and it works great so far:

http://www.insanegarage.com/product/...afs-protector/
Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

For the frontal area including the clearbra and side view mirrors, apply multiple layers of wax except black plastic pieces. The layers of wax will act as a sacrificial layer and easier cleanup of the bugs. I've heard that car show people use Pledge furniture spray wax on their front bumpers. Wax on black plastic will leave a white residue when dry.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:10 PM
groningen
Rennlist Member

The mesh was noted as for 09-13 cars. It also looked as though it had large "squares" in the mesh, may not catch the bugs. Will try home improvement stores for mesh material and try to attach myself with black ties.
Will wash front each night with Mgs car wash soap while gone, rinse, re wax with 3m was and hop for the best.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:02 AM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

It's not always possible to find a place to wash your car, they're there but often you wont want to use them. Then there are those nights where you had a big dinner, wine, it's getting late, the ol lady is giving those signals that say the smart money is on taking her to bed... I could just be speaking for myself but good intentions about keeping up the car can get waylaid quickly on a long road trip. I do wish you luck with it
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (06-25-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM
groningen
Rennlist Member

Gonna take two nested smaller buckets, one for wash and other for rinse ( just front end anyway). The guys that do my clear bra material tell me to do this and then use detailing spray wax. Also got some Toughguard spray wash from the plant in Beaverton Ore to use in case, great for bugs. They also sell a coating substance, amazing stuff. Military uses it on planes, subs etc.
Put it on all of our cars, usually hosing cars off cleans them up.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:26 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Zoom in, its more impressive.

Half way across a 2000 mile trip across France from UK.
First opportunity I had I did was wash it.
Car had a ceramic coating so with some bug spray soaked in, it came off relatively easy.

Actually in France a lot of the petrol stations have buckets of water with brushes in to clean the windscreen.

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 PM
groningen
Rennlist Member

What does high octane fuel go for over there, in gals? I would just guess that for the price they ought to wash the car for you at fill up, ha, ha.
What does the radiator look like?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Actually we were just in Italy and fuel prices were not much higher at all than CA. Meaning double the rest of the country. Ha. OK maybe not quite but seems like it sometimes.
they price in L - so take their and X4 and then add 10% for the Euro exchange rate.
Recall gas was 1.25 per L or so in Italy - so what's that $5.5 a gallon US pricing. We pay $4 right now in CA so what 30% more?
Not like it used to be - 2 or 3X, nothing like that these days.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:06 AM
groningen
Rennlist Member

Back to the bugs, just got back from 2500 mile trip into Canada. before we left i bought a roll of house gutter guard, cut it to fit the grill openings and attached with black zip ties. Nothing got through, caught most everything thrown at it.

Anyone know if the front diffuser (spoiler) is all one piece around the bottom of the bumper or are the pieces under the lights separate, curbs are doing a number on mine. Are they spendy?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:51 AM
jivor
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When I had my Corvette, there was a company that made a mesh that snapped onto the front bumper and mirror booties, it was Novistretch. Unfortunately, that company does not make bras for Porsche.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:21 AM
Kirkman
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In the Olden Days when cars were painted with enamel we used a water solution of baking soda to soften and remove bugs.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:02 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

With my night-blue metallic paint, the bugs don't show nearly as much as on the white car pictured above....
This photo was taken last summer at Badlands National Park, on a 7600-mile trip. It took a long time to get all the bugs off when I got home.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:09 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

I did San Fran to Seattle about a month ago, turns out the burgundy hides the bugs somewhat as well.

Quick Reply: road trip