Panamera 2010-Current

Am I missing something? Disappointed in the new PTT and PGTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Georgemaser
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Am I missing something? Disappointed in the new PTT and PGTS

I sold my 2014 PTTS ( had since new and loved it) thinking I was going to buy a 2019 PTT or PGTS. I test drove them both and I was so disappointed. tThere is minimal exhaust sound and no excitement. I think I may get a BMW M5 with competition pack. Am I missing something? I have owned at least one Porsche since the year the cayenne first came out and have a 2019 911 4 gts which may be the greatest fun car I have ever had. Anyone with thoughts on the bmw M5 with competition pack or even the bmw m850 ? Will I miss a Porsche as a daily driver?

Last edited by Georgemaser; 06-08-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My 19 PTT is a tiger. Not sure what your referring to exactly. It hauls *** and sounds great with performance exhaust.

Maybe the car has insulted glass. Either way car is very polished, fixing all the stupid faults of the 970.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:05 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

How was the PTT you test drove optioned? That may be playing a part.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgemaser
I sold my 2014 PTTS ( had since new and loved it) thinking I was going to buy a 2019 PTT or PGTS. I test drove them both and I was so disappointed. tThere is minimal exhaust sound and no excitement. I think I may get a BMW M5 with competition pack. Am I missing something? I have owned at least one Porsche since the year the cayenne first came out and have a 2019 911 4 gts which may be the greatest fun car I have ever had. Anyone with thoughts on the bmw M5 with competition pack or even the bmw m850 ? Will I miss a Porsche as a daily driver?
I concur with the others - I love my PTT. But if you're considering the M5, also consider the E63S (Wagon!) which makes noise from hell though has a harsher ride than the Porsche.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, the Eclass is a sled suspension wise and this very stiff. I couldn’t own one. And it’s just not differentiated from other Benz.

Panny is remarkably pliant over rough surfaces making it a much better all around tourer.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgemaser
...and have a 2019 911 4 gts which may be the greatest fun car I have ever had. Anyone with thoughts on the bmw M5 with competition pack or even the bmw m850 ?
I thought the GTS only came in a RWD
Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 AM
amelen
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Make sure it has the sports exhaust option and has it enabled when you're test driving... otherwise I also thought it was too quite/refined.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

What were you disappointed in? Were you actually really disappointed, or did you just like the new M5 and want something more raw? Who are you trying to convince?

The Panamera is not a raw, loud, visceral car. Its not supposed to be. Why would you want a full sized, executive class car with loud obnoxious exhaust? I ask that seriously, not sarcastically. The Panamera was designed around USING a backseat. The M5 is a car designed WITH a back seat. Typically, the M5 has pretty tame exhaust to the point of faking it with the sound through the radio.....I mean its all relative. I guess I just don't get why you'd want to take a car that is designed to be refined at its core, and expect it not to be refined. I especially don't understand why you'd want to make it unrefined!

In any case, in full on sport chrono mode my 970 PTTS is pretty damn visceral, but maybe they messed up the 971 (I doubt it)?

The newest E63 is a very very fast car, that looks boring as hell. I mean it looks good, it just looks like every other Benz on the road with a little more edge.

The Audi RS7 has the most bad *** sounding factory exhaust of any car I've ever driven. I would take that over an E63 any day.

The 2018+ M5 is a bit typical looking but is very pretty. They also have some really cool tech features, and I like the layout of infotainment. The seats and interior are finally pretty damn nice as well. I don't know if they are at Porsche level yet, but they definitely improved with the newest generation. I'd also take this over the E63.

If you can live without AWD, the 2016+ CTSV is a pretty bad *** car, and far cheaper of a price point used anyway. I'd never buy a new CTSV at almost $100,000.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

The new M5 sounds pretty poor, steering is vague, other than that I liked it. It is very fast and that part is impressive, my test drives have been limited to cars I can afford so I haven't driven the Turbo which is a little much for me. The latest iteration of BMWs once maligned infotainment system is very good but I thought that years ago when I had an E92. It's better now but on my test drive I had the feeling it needed to improve, not because something was lacking but more that it ended up giving me a feeling of having been there and done that. I have been through a few BMWs so maybe that's to be expected? In any event I dont' see a dog here but if you haven't test drove the M5 you may want to, I expected it to be better and you may be in the same boat after driving it. I've decided to get the e-hybrid myself and am negotiating on one on now.

Quick Reply: Am I missing something? Disappointed in the new PTT and PGTS