Panamera 2010-Current

Interesting Suspension Failure - Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 AM
RSBIII
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting Suspension Failure - Turbo

So - over winter, like many others, my air suspension started to act up. It seemed limited to front suspension, namely on passenger side - although the issue + failed suspension alert was intermittent. I figured this was due to the cold weather, which seemed to prompt the same issue with many others, although I suspected there may have been shock damage due to an encounter with a pothole. The issue has recently resurfaced after quite some time with no issues, and in 60-70 temp weather...

Over the weekend, I had my oil changed and went to the dealer to inquire about map and PCM updates - I asked about the suspension and they agreed to diagnose at no charge. As suspected, dealership states both front air spring struts need to be replaced - I am not convinced this is necessary, specifically for driver side. I am not sure what was done to turn this diagnosis, but within a few hours my suspension started to act up in a completely different way than it had before. When this issue presented itself, passenger side front would be deflated when I went to garage each morning - once car was started, it would inflate and drive normally. No other shocks were affected. Now, the exact opposite was occurring and over a much shorter interval - Driver side would deflate if I went to check on car after a few hours, passenger side unaffected. Suspension would inflate upon startup. Over the past 2 days, now both shocks are deflated, will not inflate + message of vehicle extremely low + sometimes eventual suspension failure message occurs. I may also be imagining this, but it almost sounds like compressor is making a different noise or none at all...

I have read Ciaka + other posts on this subject and didn't bother to diagnose as problem went away until now - although I find it very odd that such dramatic changes to symptoms occurred right after dealership had car. I dont believe this was the result of any sleazy act @ dealer, but perhaps may have been done inadvertently. Any input on what may have occurred @ dealership to cause this + any idea of what true diagnosis may be based on above is extremely appreciated! Will continue to research + will post results - TY in advance!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:18 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

My 4s had a failure on the drivers side front, it would go back up when started and fall after. My dealer replaced both bags and I have been great since. Thats on a 2014 with only 30k. While its easy to connect your visit to the dealer Im kinda doubting foul play and more coincidence.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:57 AM
RSBIII
AutoX

I dont think it was foul play - I went out of the way to go to this dealership because of its reputation + experience was great, cheap for a dealership + surprisingly quick. That said, I think its odd that such radically different symptoms presented themselves shortly after dealership looked. I suspect they may have done something with computer that may have affected how an already leaky shock plays with the remaining 3 good ones...
Old 05-21-2019, 09:12 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through a 4 week session with chassis failure signals and diagnosis. All kinds of contributing symptoms but the car level never dropped. The compressor had been changed in the fall and a new one installed. Long story short, the valving became suspect and a new one installed but the situation did not entirely go away. After passenger load sensitivity issues, the compressor was replaced with a rebuilt one temporarily and everything is now normal! The original replaced compressor is being negotiated for a warranty replacement since it only lasted several months.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:19 PM
RSBIII
AutoX

updates to come soon - I think I will have some info that may help others out with similar problems but it will be a long post + want to wait until work is complete and problem is 100% solved.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:20 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got this notice this morning on my 2016 GTS, 22k miles. took it to the dealer for diagnosis. seems a pretty common failure on these cars. mine was a compressor failure. fixed under warranty an back on the road.

Last edited by blk on blk; 06-12-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Interesting Suspension Failure - Turbo