Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2013 Panamera purchase decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 AM
Momvivant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2013 Panamera purchase decision

I’m looking into owning a Porsche for the first time but on a preowned. I found one in good condition and will have it checked out by a mechanic. But the car is 70k+ miles.

I’ve only owned new cars so having a preowned will be a new experience. To offset the risk, I am looking into extended warranty. Fidelity’s quotes for Gold and Platinum are astronomical...Powertrain for 4 years is more reasonable. Endurance has a Secure Plus policy that covers all the major things like engine, powertrain, air, etc. that mostly affect the running of the vehicle vs. discretionary things like the electronics on the radio. This is about $5.5k/6 Years.

I don’t generally put more than 8-10k/year and usually drive my cars to death. With this car, I’m thinking of keeping it for 4-5 years. The car has a clean Carfax with two owners...maintenance reported is probably less than what I would have done but maybe they did and was not recorded at a dealership. The cost is right and definitely under the CPOs which is to be expected. The color and interior are exactly what I wanted, plus 2013 seems beyond the recall year that I saw in the Carfax reports.

Panamera has always been a dream car, though at full price, probably not what I would ever spend on a car.

Any experience with owning a Panamera that has logged this many miles and may log up to 120-130k miles? It would be good to hear what starts to majorly break down. And the cost of annual maintenanc.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 AM
HP41
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some possible maintenance issues at 70k+ miles:
1. If it has air suspension -- shocks leaks / compressor issues. (this can be expensive unless you repair yourself)
2. some vehicles have issues with front suspension bushings
3. other than cam bolt recall -- engines seem to be pretty reliable- generally no issues as long as you do the required preventive maintenance and let it warm up before you drive it hard.
4. need to make sure PDK fluid was changed at 60k. This fluid bathes both clutches and the gear set.
5. check out the brake wear (pads and rotors) -- again fairly expensive to have done at a shop and not covered under warranty.

Annual maintenance varies on dealership versus independent mechanic versus DIY. Big differences!

Hope this helps,

Chuck
'14 Panamera 4S

Last edited by HP41; 05-29-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 AM
TheBauer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Momvivant
I’m looking into owning a Porsche for the first time but on a preowned. I found one in good condition and will have it checked out by a mechanic. But the car is 70k+ miles.

I’ve only owned new cars so having a preowned will be a new experience. To offset the risk, I am looking into extended warranty. Fidelity’s quotes for Gold and Platinum are astronomical...Powertrain for 4 years is more reasonable. Endurance has a Secure Plus policy that covers all the major things like engine, powertrain, air, etc. that mostly affect the running of the vehicle vs. discretionary things like the electronics on the radio. This is about $5.5k/6 Years.

I don’t generally put more than 8-10k/year and usually drive my cars to death. With this car, I’m thinking of keeping it for 4-5 years. The car has a clean Carfax with two owners...maintenance reported is probably less than what I would have done but maybe they did and was not recorded at a dealership. The cost is right and definitely under the CPOs which is to be expected. The color and interior are exactly what I wanted, plus 2013 seems beyond the recall year that I saw in the Carfax reports.

Panamera has always been a dream car, though at full price, probably not what I would ever spend on a car.

Any experience with owning a Panamera that has logged this many miles and may log up to 120-130k miles? It would be good to hear what starts to majorly break down. And the cost of annual maintenanc.

Thanks!

I got the 2012 Turbo S. Dealer gave me 90 day warranty. All good so far. I am now doing a 4 yr warranty for 4.8k from national bumper to bumper via a high end used car dealer. Got two quotes and also did endurance but they don’t specialize on high end cars and coverage is less and price is higher.

See if you can get a National quote from a high end used car dealer. Based on what I heard it’s the best option for German luxury cars in the US.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd buck up and get the Fidelity Platinum, there's a guy people recommend on here from Mossey motors that has good pricing, about 45% off full retail. PM me if you want his #. It will still be expensive though because of the mileage.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

Thank you all for your insights!

Chuck - I checked the VIN’s recall and fortunately it’s clean and doesn’t have the cam bolt recall. I’m having the mechanic look at all the things that you suggested.

Sayedoc - I got my Fidelity quote from him based on the useful info on this forum but we laughed at how crazy the quote was for Platinum. It was $18k for 4 years...that’s at Michael’s 55%.

Bauer - would you be comfortable PMing me your dealer for the National insurance? I called two places here and they don’t seem to carry it. I just received a quote for Elite but I can’t seem to find much on this forum about it so worried about going with a company that this forum’s members haven’t used.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

$18k? Yeah that's insane!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:25 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

I’d prefer Fidelity too since it seems to be what the dealers use but now I need plan B.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Strassenkurven
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

where is information on the contact for Fidelity? I just bought a Panamera and am looking at extended warranties as well.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:10 AM
TheBauer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am based in Seattle/Bellevue WA. ParkPlace LTD and Landmark Motors are the main luxury car dealers. Parkplace is also the official Aston Martin dealer.
Based on what I heard the local Porsche dealers use National too. Its exclusionary coverage which is key. Basically covers everything except wear and tear. Stay away from insurance that lists items that are covered. You want it to only list items that are not covered.

And the local Porsche dealer offered the policy for 8k (4 year 48k) usually 20-40% higher than Parkplace and Landmark
Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Originally Posted by Strassenkurven
where is information on the contact for Fidelity? I just bought a Panamera and am looking at extended warranties as well.
I got a good price from my dealer. Several people here have used Mike Jourdan at Mossey Motors, PM me if you want his contact info.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:52 PM
Strassenkurven
Instructor

I don't believe I can PM yet. Thanks though.

I already own the car.. and have a little over a year left on the CPO warranty.. so I'm looking at an extended warranty for after that.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:40 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Originally Posted by Strassenkurven
I don't believe I can PM yet. Thanks though.

I already own the car.. and have a little over a year left on the CPO warranty.. so I'm looking at an extended warranty for after that.
Make a few more posts and it will allow you to PM then
Old 05-31-2019, 11:08 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Fidelity and that forum member who sells the plans, will not offer coverage unless the cars original or cpo warranty are still in effect - but find out.

If you have some savings, and have some wrenching skills, I don't know that a warranty is 100% necessary unless you really just want the cushion. If you have $5000 sitting in a bank for repairs, I don't think the chances are great you'll have to use it. If the PDK or engine blows, typically the warranty companies resist paying the $20,000 bill if you say blow them both at the same time anyway! I think you're more likely to get in a car accident statistically and total that car, than you are likely to have the powertrain completely fail. Not a great thought, but probably true.

So far so good. My PTTS has had fewer issues in a year than my 2014 RS7 had in 8 months. You just never know. The only thing my Panamera has as an issue is the steering wheel heater works inconsistently. The front control arms are getting a little squeaky but everything works just fine. If you saw my recent post about the soft windshield glass.....there is that too, but that's really not Porsche's fault really. Just irritating!

Make sure whatever you buy has all the recalls performed and you have a service history of all maintenance.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Momvivant
Advanced

Update: I ended up passing on that car. I had a PPI done by a local mechanic that I found on Yelp, and although I booked my flight, I timed it so that I could refund it if it didn’t work out. Even though the Carfax report came back clean, the mechanic found that half the body had been painted over. Plus there was rattling. I decided that there were too many unknowns plus the warranty was going to cost me a bunch.

The experience made me realize that I was better off with a CPO and a newer car but was sad to think that I wasn’t going to pick up the car this weekend. I realistically thought that it would take 2-3 months to find something reasonable.

I ended up with a 2016 Edition that has the 911 wheels and premium package. Less than 30k miles and CPO so it looks new inside and out. Plus, end of month yesterday so got a good deal (I think!).

So in love with this one. I can now go to Michael again to get the extended but that won’t be for a while! I’m sure that I will have a ton of questions in a few days, but I really appreciate how you’ve all helped answer my questions and welcomed me to the forum!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Strassenkurven
Instructor

Nice!
I think you'll appreciate having the newer car and being able to put your own stamp on it.
I drove a friend's 2012 Turbo a few weeks ago. It has over 70k miles now and still drives amazingly. It's just been taken care of. It sounds like there 2010 you looked at may not have been, so much.

Quick Reply: 2013 Panamera purchase decision