Panamera 2010-Current

New DD- Audi S7/RS7 vs Panamera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
There were 3 on carguru last week. Being a 2017 model, that's pretty significant if its only one car. That was the cost of 2014 PTTS early last year. I never said the market was flooded. I'm pointing out the price gap is already closing on the 2017, and the 970's will probably continue to drop and maybe take a really bit hit in the next couple of years.
Most of the dealers with them want 95k+, but in reality 2014s are going through auction in the mid 70s and the 2015's in the low 80 range (for sub 30k mileage). I'd pay mid to high 80s depending on the year, but touching 90k is not what I'm thinking.

My one concern about the 971 is that it's not a lot different than the 4.0T I have in my S7. Yes, there are parts that are Porsche vs. VAG, but my guess is that a lot of the engineering is the same. I'm open to being wrong, but it sure seems they are birds of a similar feather. At the moment, I'm kind of leaning towards just doing a stage 3 on my S7 and calling it good for a couple years until the 971s get down some more.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:46 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Most of the dealers with them want 95k+, but in reality 2014s are going through auction in the mid 70s and the 2015's in the low 80 range (for sub 30k mileage). I'd pay mid to high 80s depending on the year, but touching 90k is not what I'm thinking.

My one concern about the 971 is that it's not a lot different than the 4.0T I have in my S7. Yes, there are parts that are Porsche vs. VAG, but my guess is that a lot of the engineering is the same. I'm open to being wrong, but it sure seems they are birds of a similar feather. At the moment, I'm kind of leaning towards just doing a stage 3 on my S7 and calling it good for a couple years until the 971s get down some more.
That's certainly a way to go. I think too it depends on what you value and prioritize in the overall experience. Beyond the obvious aspect of performance, I'm a huge fan of up-to-date luxury and modern touches, so the PCM in the 971 and related sleekness really, really appeals to me. I know that some people don't care much about that but I thought worth mentioning.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

The technology in the 971 is a huge jump. I really like whats in my Gen 1 970. It just works, and it a bit more simple looking than what Audi has in the 20130-2016 or whatever cars before the bump to the virtual cockpit. My 2014 RS7 for sure felt like a bump in modernization; however, I didn't feel like I was missing anything tech wise going into the 2012 PTTS. Its a good blend of old school and new school, it has lots of settings (though buried) and I prefer the buttons rather than constantly going through menus. No question the Audi touch screen stuff is instantly usable, intuitive and looks more modern.

If you have a hankering for tuning, the S7 is worth staying with. APR can change the S7 significantly. You get 95% of what the RS7 has in both looks and performance. I wouldn't say that the RS7 special sauces aren't worth it, I drove one, but if you already have the S7 and are thinking of a Panamera, I'd wait and just get the 971 unless you want to go on the cheap and find a 2010-2013 model Panamera, for the experience of the Gen 1 (that's what I did). I went with a 2012 S because I wanted all of the special suspension options available for the 970 - they make the car. I was considering a 970.1 2014 Turbo S as well but was shocked at the premium they still command with the 2017 models already down in price. It wasn't worth the budget stretch for me. My decision now will be do I upgrade in a couple years to the 2017 PTT or finally get a 2014 911 Turbo ( I wish those would depreciate more!).

Quick Reply: New DD- Audi S7/RS7 vs Panamera GTS