Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera PCM vs 2019 Cayenne PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:14 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Panamera PCM vs 2019 Cayenne PCM?

My 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid is being serviced at the dealership (bunch of recalls/software updates & oil change). They gave me a 2019 Cayenne as a loaner, and I’ve been driving it around for a few days. One thing I’ve noticed immediately is how responsive the PCM unit is in the 2016 Cayenne. The screen resolution also seems higher than my 18 Panamera, because I see more icons/rows of icons when Apple CarPlay is active. I wonder if the PCM hardware unit in the 19 Cayenne has improved? Or it’s just a software update?

Anyone?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mutiny22183
My 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid is being serviced at the dealership (bunch of recalls/software updates & oil change). They gave me a 2019 Cayenne as a loaner, and I’ve been driving it around for a few days. One thing I’ve noticed immediately is how responsive the PCM unit is in the 2016 Cayenne. The screen resolution also seems higher than my 18 Panamera, because I see more icons/rows of icons when Apple CarPlay is active. I wonder if the PCM hardware unit in the 19 Cayenne has improved? Or it’s just a software update?

Anyone?

Thanks!
That's interesting. I have an '18, and CarPlay shows two rows of 4 icons. What does the 19 show? My wife's 2019 LR Discovery not only shows 2 rows of 5 icons, it also displays Apple Maps (or Waze, etc) across the entire widescreen display rather than the left-justified 16:9 rectangle in the '18 Panamera. Does the '19 do this?
Old 04-01-2019, 12:09 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pokingaround
That's interesting. I have an '18, and CarPlay shows two rows of 4 icons. What does the 19 show? My wife's 2019 LR Discovery not only shows 2 rows of 5 icons, it also displays Apple Maps (or Waze, etc) across the entire widescreen display rather than the left-justified 16:9 rectangle in the '18 Panamera. Does the '19 do this?
Pretty sure It's 2 rows and more than 4 icons, but I will check on that when I get to the car after work. I'll also try to take a picture and share.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:23 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Pretty sure It's 2 rows and more than 4 icons, but I will check on that when I get to the car after work. I'll also try to take a picture and share.
Cool thanks. If not too much trouble, see if you can also find the software version number to compare with the 2018s.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:28 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Stock map app now displays exit info on interstates

2 rows 5 icons across

Version info
I won’t have my car back until this Thursday or Friday. Let me know the version number on our 18 Panamera.

thanks!
Cool thanks. If not too much trouble, see if you can also find the software version number to compare with the 2018s.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:02 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Stock map app now displays exit info on interstates

2 rows 5 icons across

Version info
I won’t have my car back until this Thursday or Friday. Let me know the version number on our 18 Panamera.

thanks!
Thanks. Definitely different. I will check and post a pic tomorrow. Please check if CarPlay maps will expand left to right to fill the entire screen if you can thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 AM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Thanks. Definitely different. I will check and post a pic tomorrow. Please check if CarPlay maps will expand left to right to fill the entire screen if you can thanks!
Check this morning, the CarPlay map does not expand to fill the entire screen. The dynamic menu (whatever its called) on the right 1/3 of the screen is now permanent and fixed, and cannot be hidden.

I bet the resolution upgrade is a PCM hardware upgrade, so I doubt we will be able to get our 2018 units to look like that, but I wonder if there are software updates for 2018 units out there to address bugs and freezing issues with CarPlay.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:10 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Check this morning, the CarPlay map does not expand to fill the entire screen. The dynamic menu (whatever its called) on the right 1/3 of the screen is now permanent and fixed, and cannot be hidden.

I bet the resolution upgrade is a PCM hardware upgrade, so I doubt we will be able to get our 2018 units to look like that, but I wonder if there are software updates for 2018 units out there to address bugs and freezing issues with CarPlay.
Interesting that the map doesn't expand, though probably a good idea to get that dynamic menu on there permanently as opposed to an empty, black space. Here's a pic of my car's info:

Comparing the two, it would seem that:

-your "Version Software" is a later version than mine
-the "Hardware Version" is tougher to say as the numerals in yours are lower, though mine lacks the 'H'/alpha prefix, and of course logic would dictate that yours is a newer version and the CarPlay screen certainly points that way. More to the point, they're different, and probably thus not upgradeable, at least not without preposterous levels of Porsche tax.
-your Nav database is newer (Q3 2018) whereas mine is 17/18
-my Gracenote seems newer LOL
-your Media Driver is newer

EDIT - anyone with a 2019 Panamera willing to check these things, in particular the hardware version, and CarPlay screen handling?
Old 04-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Joby
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2018 4s and my versions match yours, except I have V03959802HE 0063 NAR 2018 for Navi Database (I did update it once online, but just tried . again and it said mine expired and I need to subscribe again via Porsche connect.

Curious, what phone driver do you have as I have had major issues with my Apple Xs Max. I have phone version: 10.615.471
Thanks
Old 04-06-2019, 10:59 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

The increased resolution in the 19 cayenne could easily be software driven for apple CarPlay. I had a similar 19 cayenne loaner. I thought the resolution on the stock Porsche pcm seemed sharper too though. But could be software driven. These new cayennes also have new connect features. Like having control of your nest thermostat and doorbell. I have a 17 panamera 4S so my software is even older then your 18 versions.
Lastly the album art is pulled through Bluetooth and doesn’t need gracenotes online to update it anymore when listening to songs via Bluetooth. The album art will always match what’s on your phone now.
hope my next 19 panamera GTS has these new features and isn’t hardware limited to the new cayenne only.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:06 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joby
I have a 2018 4s and my versions match yours, except I have V03959802HE 0063 NAR 2018 for Navi Database (I did update it once online, but just tried . again and it said mine expired and I need to subscribe again via Porsche connect.

Curious, what phone driver do you have as I have had major issues with my Apple Xs Max. I have phone version: 10.615.471
Thanks
I will check and get back to you as I too use a XS Max. What sorts of issues are you experiencing? I've not noticed anything in particular.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:08 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jtorrebl

The increased resolution in the 19 cayenne could easily be software driven for apple CarPlay. I had a similar 19 cayenne loaner. I thought the resolution on the stock Porsche pcm seemed sharper too though. But could be software driven. These new cayennes also have new connect features. Like having control of your nest thermostat and doorbell. I have a 17 panamera 4S so my software is even older then your 18 versions.
Lastly the album art is pulled through Bluetooth and doesn’t need gracenotes online to update it anymore when listening to songs via Bluetooth. The album art will always match what’s on your phone now.
hope my next 19 panamera GTS has these new features and isn’t hardware limited to the new cayenne only.
WHOA I missed this when I replied to the other post just now. That's pretty nuts.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Joby
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

For me the issues I have with the iPhone XS Max are the following:

1. When using Apple Car Play at times it will not allow other already selected audio to play so it just goes silent. For example listening to Sirius and then all the sudden silence. I then select Sirius again and get sound. There have also been instances that I can never get sound back therefore requiring me to unplug the phone and then replay it. This also happens with other selections it’s like car play and pcm are in a battle.
2. When cars sim car drops cellular signal the pcm backs out of car play and goes to main pcm screen.
3. At times the car will not recognize when phone is plugged in and I use a Apple cable not 3rd party. And I have swapped to see if it’s the cable.
4. There are times the Apple car play freezes the entire system requiring me to reboot the pcm or turn off and restart the car.
5. The small slide out pcm window on the right does not auto fill the screen when in Car Play mode. It only did it for a day after the dealer reset the pcm and stopped working afterwards.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:31 PM
F K
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtorrebl

That will be such a buzzkill If the 19gts comes with an older hardware..
Old 04-07-2019, 04:58 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F K
That will be such a buzzkill If the 19gts comes with an older hardware..
i called Porsche customer service. Apparently the 19 Cayenne has PCM hardware version 5, and 18 Panameras have version 4.1. The guy also told me that the 19 Panameras are getting the 4.1, not the 5...which sucks for folks getting the 19. I really would like to know if there are software updates for our version though, because it’s ridiculous to have a computer in the car that basically controls everything and no updates to fix navigation/entertainment related bugs.

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera PCM vs 2019 Cayenne PCM?