Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Any consensus on the "menu" items from dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Any consensus on the "menu" items from dealers?

Things like:

-extended warranty
-prepaid maintenance
-wheels/tires/dents, etc.
-dealer installed xpel or the like

?

What do buyers typically opt for/against? Historically I've avoided these things in other brands, though the extended warranty has me thinking as this will be my first P-car in a long time.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Wheel and tire, for sure. Prepaid maintenance, maybe (I bought it on my Panamera but not for every car I own). Dealer xpel is a ripoff, they have an independent installer come to the dealership and then mark it up. Ask your sales associate for the name of the person the dealer uses and work with them directly. You may get the dealer pricing as well.

Extended warranty is a question mark. I rarely keep cars out of the warranty period but you can buy that warranty at any time so I don’t feel pressure to buy it at the time of purchase. You can buy extended warranty from any dealer so call around and price shop.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnolan
Wheel and tire, for sure. Prepaid maintenance, maybe (I bought it on my Panamera but not for every car I own). Dealer xpel is a ripoff, they have an independent installer come to the dealership and then mark it up. Ask your sales associate for the name of the person the dealer uses and work with them directly. You may get the dealer pricing as well.

Extended warranty is a question mark. I rarely keep cars out of the warranty period but you can buy that warranty at any time so I don’t feel pressure to buy it at the time of purchase. You can buy extended warranty from any dealer so call around and price shop.
Thanks. I'm surprised about your comment for wheel and tire. 3rd party tire insurance is dirt cheap (like, $40/tire) and wheels...I mean, if you're leasing, I guess maybe? But purchasing, and assuming a 4-7 year ownership period, wouldn't "some" amount of curb rash be understandable when it comes time to trade in? Is your value really going to be impacted so much? Honest questions.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:07 PM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Thanks. I'm surprised about your comment for wheel and tire. 3rd party tire insurance is dirt cheap (like, $40/tire) and wheels...I mean, if you're leasing, I guess maybe? But purchasing, and assuming a 4-7 year ownership period, wouldn't "some" amount of curb rash be understandable when it comes time to trade in? Is your value really going to be impacted so much? Honest questions.
It’s not the value that bothers me; curb gash on one of my wheels is like a tractor beam for my eyes. I can’t tolerate it. It’s pretty rare that I’ll ding a wheel, what is more likely to happen is that I have a flat, so for me tire-and-wheel is all about getting the tires replaced.

You can get it third party but I go to the dealer for tire and wheel issues because my 911 has centerlock wheels and it can be a challenge getting independent shops who can deal with them. My experience buying insurance through the dealer is that everything is seamless when I have to have a tire issue dealt with. Porsche does not allow dealers to repair tires, they must be replaced so a simple nail or screw will get me a new tire. I have had over $2k of new tires installed on my 911 for $1500 of insurance. My Panamera is new so no issues yet.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:30 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnolan

It’s not the value that bothers me; curb gash on one of my wheels is like a tractor beam for my eyes. I can’t tolerate it. It’s pretty rare that I’ll ding a wheel, what is more likely to happen is that I have a flat, so for me tire-and-wheel is all about getting the tires replaced.

You can get it third party but I go to the dealer for tire and wheel issues because my 911 has centerlock wheels and it can be a challenge getting independent shops who can deal with them. My experience buying insurance through the dealer is that everything is seamless when I have to have a tire issue dealt with. Porsche does not allow dealers to repair tires, they must be replaced so a simple nail or screw will get me a new tire. I have had over $2k of new tires installed on my 911 for $1500 of insurance. My Panamera is new so no issues yet.

Heh. I know what you mean. Just curious - have you ever tried an independent wheel repair shop? I was stunned to find how great they are at repairing curb rash, and for very low prices as compared to new wheels (which are of course exhorbitant!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:30 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

+1 for tire and wheel. I also can’t stand curb rash and the thought of curbing the rim stresses my wife out to no end. I knew she would never want to drive it and I would always worry if she did without the coverage. And if something really bad happens I want to know Porsche will take care of a replacement rim. For the heck of it I also priced the exact replacement rims that came with my CPO Panamera GTS and the avg. was around $2K/wheel.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Make no mistake, these dealer adds are huge profit centers.

I have an amazing wheel and tire repair shop 2 miles from my house and will do the work at a fraction of cost in long run. I don’t mind paying maintenance at dealer using your common shopping sense on parts. As long as warranty adds are reasonable and transferable, then not a terrible idea. On my last Benz, I added a year to make it a 5/50 term as I only drive 8-10k a year with that car for $1100.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Make no mistake, these dealer adds are huge profit centers.

I have an amazing wheel and tire repair shop 2 miles from my house and will do the work at a fraction of cost in long run. I don’t mind paying maintenance at dealer using your common shopping sense on parts. As long as warranty adds are reasonable and transferable, then not a terrible idea. On my last Benz, I added a year to make it a 5/50 term as I only drive 8-10k a year with that car for $1100.
Yeah that’s the thing. Perhaps it seems silly to nickle and dime after spending $150k on a car, but I didn’t get to the point of being to purchase a $150k car by throwing money out the window when I don’t need to!

I think for my situation and preferences these are still a Pass for me, though I get why others do it. My wheel guy is great, and I’ll get tire insurance separately for pennies on the dollar.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:48 PM
jnolan
Pro

Perhaps it seems silly to nickle and dime after spending $150k on a car, but I didn’t get to the point of being to purchase a $150k car by throwing money out the window when I don’t need to!
ditto. There was another thread in the 911 forum where this came up and one comment that really gets my hair up is the “spend $x on a Porsche and then cheap out on Y”. The tire-and-wheel shops in my area are pretty ****ty, which is why I prefer having the dealer do it. The centerlocks on my 911 are a love-hate thing, I love everything about them except for getting the tires replaced... which is why insurance from the dealer makes sense for me. I rarely buy extended warranties and prepaid maintenance because if I get out of the warranty period I’ll go with a more cost-effective independent shop.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 AM
Fulwild
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Value of tire wheel insurance is , at least for me mostly about the wheels and convenience for the tires. As far as the tire warranty, is it managed by the dealer? If so hassle factor goes way down especially if loaner is part of the package. Tire Rack includes coverage but your down for a few days waiting for new tire then have to do paper work to get reimbursed. Pre-approval etc.
As far as the wheels, it’s dependent on a number of factors.
1. Wheel size. The larger your wheel diameter/ smaller aspect ratio, the greater the chance you are going to bend a rim. I never bent a 17” or smaller rim in +500k but have bent a 20” in 2k and had to replace a zealously repaired/unsafe 20” on my new to me PTT (42 k when purchased).
2. Location (potholes, sharp curbs) I’m in Ohio and we have potholes that seem to appear over night on both freeways and city streets. Bent my rim on a 5 in vertical faced pothole on a street that in my 20 years of relatively frequent travel had never had potholes.
3. Daily driver or weekends? Year round or no winters? All weather or fair weather?

I was able to have my rim repaired for about $120. You can buy rims used for about $4-500 but you might have to paint to match ($120) check if rims are painted or machined. Often used wheels have machined rims to clear off curb rash.
If you live in an area that potholes, consider getting a set of smaller 18” in winter wheels if your brakes will allow. Winter wheels and tires are a good investment if you regularly drive in icy/snowy conditions.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:44 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fulwild
Value of tire wheel insurance is , at least for me mostly about the wheels and convenience for the tires. As far as the tire warranty, is it managed by the dealer? If so hassle factor goes way down especially if loaner is part of the package. Tire Rack includes coverage but your down for a few days waiting for new tire then have to do paper work to get reimbursed. Pre-approval etc.
As far as the wheels, it’s dependent on a number of factors.
1. Wheel size. The larger your wheel diameter/ smaller aspect ratio, the greater the chance you are going to bend a rim. I never bent a 17” or smaller rim in +500k but have bent a 20” in 2k and had to replace a zealously repaired/unsafe 20” on my new to me PTT (42 k when purchased).
2. Location (potholes, sharp curbs) I’m in Ohio and we have potholes that seem to appear over night on both freeways and city streets. Bent my rim on a 5 in vertical faced pothole on a street that in my 20 years of relatively frequent travel had never had potholes.
3. Daily driver or weekends? Year round or no winters? All weather or fair weather?

I was able to have my rim repaired for about $120. You can buy rims used for about $4-500 but you might have to paint to match ($120) check if rims are painted or machined. Often used wheels have machined rims to clear off curb rash.
If you live in an area that potholes, consider getting a set of smaller 18” in winter wheels if your brakes will allow. Winter wheels and tires are a good investment if you regularly drive in icy/snowy conditions.
I hear you. Knock on wood, but despite driving in the NY metro area (horrible roads...) for decades in cars with large rims/short sidewall tires (including two different BMW M3's and a Boxster S) I've never bent a rim. SO, maybe I"m ahead of the game and can "afford" to buy a new wheel at retail if one of mine is bent. Self-insured. I agree about the convenience factor, but, with insurance from discounttireco.com (no affiliation) I've literally just had to call them and tell them I had a blowout, and they shipped a new tire to me. The process was incredibly customer friendly. Also, I'm buying my car remotely and so don't (yet) have a relationship with a local dealer. Perhaps once I do I will inquire about getting the insurance from them so that I get loaners if/as needed

Quick Reply: Any consensus on the "menu" items from dealers?