Panamera 2010-Current

971 Mobius2 dashcam install

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts
Default 971 Mobius2 dashcam install

For those that are interested, here is how i installed my dashcam and what i'm using and have used for many years now.
I have been running a
mobius2 mobius2
for a number of years now, previously on my RS7, and now on the 971.
Great little camera, very small, but records 1080p at 60fps.
Installation took about 20 minutes and just a few simple tools.
Here is what i used to get it done.
Headlamp(a must-have)
Utility knife
Plastic putty knife or you can use a trim removal tool
Voltmeter
Wire cutters, Wire Stripper
Quick connectors as well as male connectors for the wiring.
Dash Cam wiring kit (
amazon amazon
)

Here are the pain points in pulling down the dome from the roof of the 971. There appears to be no elegant way to do it, get your trim removal tool in there and pry it down gradually.
You will also have to push the plastic trim in front of the dome forward as well. This is there the mini usb cable is routed to my camera.

I made a few guesses at to which wires would work. Red for power, brown for ground. Seems to work fine.
The camera appears to be powered on without turning the car key to standby, but maybe it times out after awhile.
For that reason, i have set up the camera to auto-on when it detects motion. Otherwise it's in very low power standby all the time.

Everything pushed back inside and ran the wire out to the camera. Can't even see it from the drivers position, very discrete.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:31 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Mobius in front and back. Had for prob 5 years. I have just routed usb cables to the rear usb ports. I stuck a chrome magnetic ball to the screen and the flat magnet part to the camera holder, so very easy to pop off I need to .

Watch out for them overheating. I changed to capacitors instead of batteries, downside is I lost the delay turn off.
Good little cameras and very discreet.
Also occasionally one loses the date, and needs resetting, so keep an eye on that.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:51 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

Yeah, have been running them for at least that long as well.
they get hot mostly in the summer months, never had a problem though that caused issues.
they are however prone to little hiccups that require reprogramming occasionally.
i love the small form factor and ease of use though. good video quality as well.

Quick Reply: 971 Mobius2 dashcam install