Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Slight Ticking from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slight Ticking from Engine

Hi all. . . Just got my first Porsche (2018 Panamara 4S) a couple weeks ago and notice this very small ticking at idle or when starting to move at very low revs. Just wanted to see if you all thought this was normal engine noise - I figure so.

I am brining the car in to get a rattle in the rear passenger door handle addressed this Thursday and will certainly ask the service department as well.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:14 AM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have something similar with my p4, only it seems to be motion related,I.e. can’t be duplicated standing still. I’d be interested in the responses.

Hank
Old 12-18-2018, 01:23 AM
its_so_fluffy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawtyger
Hi all. . . Just got my first Porsche (2018 Panamara 4S) a couple weeks ago and notice this very small ticking at idle or when starting to move at very low revs. Just wanted to see if you all thought this was normal engine noise - I figure so.

I am brining the car in to get a rattle in the rear passenger door handle addressed this Thursday and will certainly ask the service department as well.

https://youtu.be/Ve6TWv9pQGo

I have the same sound as well. It does not bother me enough to take a trip to the dealer. I do not think I can bear being without the car for even a day
Old 01-16-2019, 04:57 PM
ffenech
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawtyger

https://youtu.be/Ve6TWv9pQGo

my car makes the same sound. Is this something to worry about ?
Old 01-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by ffenech

my car makes the same sound. Is this something to worry about ?
Sounds like the answer is NO. The service department said it was normal and the loaner sport turismo had the same ticking.

That said, given how quiet the cabin is and how well it keeps out outside noise it is surprising loud and a bit annoying.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:44 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Annoying it is, something about the low pressure fuel pump. Makes it sound like a diesel at times.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 PM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Annoying it is, something about the low pressure fuel pump. Makes it sound like a diesel at times.
What do you mean by low pressure fuel pump? Working pressure is not being delivered correctly, or a pump malfunction?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:39 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine and the 996 have the same sound... have had the 996 for 8 years, same sound, no probs. I think it's normal for Pcars though i don't know exactly what's causing it.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:05 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Originally Posted by HankB

What do you mean by low pressure fuel pump? Working pressure is not being delivered correctly, or a pump malfunction?
Sorry, that was very unclear. It's the noise it makes when functioning normally, was talked about in the forum a lot about a year ago, assuming it's the same issue. Shoddy, I agree.

Quick Reply: Slight Ticking from Engine