Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera PCM 3.1 current versions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:24 AM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera PCM 3.1 current versions

I spent some time trying to figure out the PCM version and thought I would post what I have found and request that anyone with better or more currrent info update this for future reference.

It is my understanding from that PCM 3.1 has 4 versions corresponding with different hardware versions and that the update versions are dependent on the hardware versions. It is possible that new units can be installed in older cars that have had the PCM replaced for whatever reason so model year or build date are not definitive. The initial digit of the software version corresponds with the hardware version of the PCM 3.1 unit. I believe the exterior appearance of the hardware units are identical and the only way to tell which hardware version you have is by the software version your unit is running. To check the software version, press "SOURCE" and "INFO" at the same time. Model year is an indication of Hardware and thus software version but updates took place within the model years and warranty repairs could be with newer hardware versions. it appears you can update to later versions with a PCM head unit swap but I think it has to be reinitialized by a dealer.I think the Map update kits come with discs to update the PCM to at least the minimum required level for the update. PCM units for Bose/Burmester are different from base units and evidently not interchangeable.

This info was gleaned from forum searches (apologies to OPs as I did not screen cap their names) and not from any with disc to update Porsche manuals so I view it as a tentative starting point and if anyone has any info that supplements or contradicts anything here please share. I think it would be helpful if owners with the various versions could post info on what version they have so we can identify the most current version for each hardware version. This info seem to cover only the 970.1 so if you have information on 970.2 or 971 feel free to share.

Ver 1 was not surprisingly the launch version
Ver 2 by at least April 2010 MY- had a revised iPod /multimedia interface This is the version I assume I have and I believe the current version is 2.47 With CD’s dated 30- Apr- 2014 (My car has a build of 04/2010 and the dealer updated to this version with a CD I bought in 1/18 from Suncoast.)
Ver 3 by at least June 2012 MY- Improved hardware, Start Screen support and HD Radio (at a later date after June?) in version 3
Ver 4 by at least Nov 2012 MY-2013 Support for AHA radio, Jukebox and Email/Text

Current versions
1.35?
3.43? (3.42 or above is necessary for 12/2018 map upgrade)
4.76? (4.52 or above is necessary for 12/2018 map upgrade)PCM 3.0 versions1.47?2.24?

Last edited by Fulwild; 07-29-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: updated start of SW version 4.XX
Old 12-14-2018, 04:28 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

On my Porsche Panamera 4 970.1 MY2013 (last year the 970.1 were sold), PCM already with the JukeBox: I did the source+info thinggy you mentioned and got PCM 3.1 / Version 4.41. German car: well, they're all german... I mean: C00 / destined for the german market.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:37 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have version 3.43 in my June 2012 MY12 build. I don't appear to have HD radio however. Was that a specified option?
Old 12-26-2018, 12:36 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

The version in my 2010 PTT (launch car) is V1.35

I didn't realize subsequent versions support Text, but assume any type of upgrade will be cost prohibitive.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:55 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

2010 4S, V1.35 PCM3.1
Old 01-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

Units from 2013 get you to version 4 which is top for 970.1. I think. They are about $900 0n Ebay. They are about 4K new. Should be drop in that is same physical dimensions for versions through 2013 MY. I'm guessing that you would need a PCM update from the dealer to get the software updated. I don't know how else you would get the options to sync with what is installed on your car. PCM update requires that you provide your VIN and it is used to generate was is referred to as an unlock code. It might also be an instruction that determines what options (Stock, Bose, Burmester etc) are installed. PCM and Maps was about 250 for the disks and 250 for the install. Might be less w/o the maps .FWIW I can upgrade my version 2 system to CarPlay through aftermarket. provider asked if I had AUX option for course which V2 has don't know about V1. My PTT is a late 2010 build.
There is an eBay seller who differentiates between version 1-2 units and 3-4 units and between Bose/Burmester units and Porsche units. They state that the units are not interchangeable and that you can’t add features like Bluetooth or XM unless your car was originally equipped with those features.

Last edited by Fulwild; 07-17-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added info re noninterchangeability
Old 01-26-2019, 05:09 PM
fatpan
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2012 base v6 v3.43 pcm 3.1 history tab showed last flash 10-25-2015
Old 03-05-2021, 02:13 PM
b1gt1me11
2nd Gear

Default HELP!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fulwild
I spent some time trying to figure out the PCM version and thought I would post what I have found and request that anyone with better or more currrent info update this for future reference.

It is my understanding from that PCM 3.1 has 4 versions corresponding with different hardware versions and that the update versions are dependent on the hardware versions. It is possible that new units can be installed in older cars that have had the PCM replaced for whatever reason so model year or build date are not definitive. The initial digit of the software version corresponds with the hardware version of the PCM 3.1 unit. I believe the exterior appearance of the hardware units are identical and the only way to tell which hardware version you have is by the software version your unit is running. To check the software version, press "SOURCE" and "INFO" at the same time. Model year is an indication of Hardware and thus software version but updates took place within the model years and warranty repairs could be with newer hardware versions. it appears you can update to later versions with a PCM head unit swap but I think it has to be reinitialized by a dealer.I think the Map update kits come with discs to update the PCM to at least the minimum required level for the update. PCM units for Bose/Burmester are different from base units and evidently not interchangeable.

This info was gleaned from forum searches (apologies to OPs as I did not screen cap their names) and not from any with disc to update Porsche manuals so I view it as a tentative starting point and if anyone has any info that supplements or contradicts anything here please share. I think it would be helpful if owners with the various versions could post info on what version they have so we can identify the most current version for each hardware version. This info seem to cover only the 970.1 so if you have information on 970.2 or 971 feel free to share.

Ver 2 by at least April 2010 MY- had a revised iPod /multimedia interface This is the version I assume I have and I believe the current version is 2.47 With CD’s dated 30- Apr- 2014 (My car has a build of 04/2010 and the dealer updated to this version with a CD I bought in 1/18 from Suncoast.)
Ver 3 by at least June 2012 MY- Improved hardware, Start Screen support and HD Radio (at a later date after June?) in version 3
Ver 4 by at least Nov 2012 MY-2013 Support for AHA radio, Jukebox and Email/Text

Current versions
1.35?
4.76? (4.52 or above is necessary for 12/2018 map upgrade)PCM 3.0 versions1.47?2.24?
I currently have version 1.35 on my Panamera... HOW do I update the firmware to the latest version supported by my PCM?
Old 03-05-2021, 09:27 PM
sp3000
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine is a MY12 Turbo S PCM 3.1 with software V2.40. Australian delivered.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:56 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulwild

Current versions
1.35?
Another hardware difference is that versions 3.43 and 4.76 use a SATA HDD, the older two versions use an IDE hard drive.

Quick Reply: Panamera PCM 3.1 current versions