Panamera 2010-Current

Tire vs bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Tire vs bearing noise

Car started with brand new wheels. No noise at all, sounding nice and smooth.
Over time, I did suspension work on front. Forgot to do alignment and front tires wore out.
Purchased 2 of same type new tires.
Installed them and balanced.
When drove car home, noticed a small noise (kind of a noise you would hear if you had a pebble stuck in your tread), at smaller speed (up to about 50mph), and above that road noise increases enough that I can notice it.
These were not present on the worn out tires, or when these tires were new.
Went back to shop, rebalanced, redid alignment again. Same.
Came home, took wheels off, cannot see anything on tires themselves. Do not notice any tread defects that I can see. Cleaned each wheel, hubs, spacers, etc, etc. No change.
Swapped front tires (left onto right and vice versa). Noticed small decrease in noise, but after about 50 miles, still hear the 'pebble' noice and increase in road noise above 60mph.
Returned home, raised front, spun each front wheel one at a time to try detect vibration on the suspension. Each tire spins freely and smooth.

Stumped. Trying to identify if it is bearing noise (in which case I need to replace the steering knuckle on affected side), or tire noise (warranty from tire vendor).
Any ideas, appreciated.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:19 PM
1998t/a
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you swapped tires I'd be putting my money on bearing failure. Also noticed this is from like a month ago so hopefully you got it figured out.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:05 AM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

It could be the remaining two tires that you didn't replace. The noise is probably more noticeable since the two new tires has reduced the overall noise.

In my experience, bad wheel bearings signs are when the noise vary as you take a turn on a ramp...or even a figure-eight movement. Although I've also heard some wheel bearings will make humming noises constantly regardless if you're going straight, on the ramp, figure-eight.

Quick Reply: Tire vs bearing noise