2010 Panamera Turbo - First Porsche Purchase - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > Panamera
Reload this Page >

2010 Panamera Turbo - First Porsche Purchase

Notices

2010 Panamera Turbo - First Porsche Purchase

Old 12-21-2018, 03:07 AM
fxtrader
New User

Default 2010 Panamera Turbo - First Porsche Purchase

hey guys....

first post in the forum and obviously from the header, I am looking to buy my first Porsche, which I have set my eyes on a 2010 Panamera Turbo with about 84K Miles...

I want to ask you all what experience and mainly problems/issues I should be on the lookout for?

Other than what's posted in some online postings/review websites, what can I expect, at least from the perspective of current or former 2010 Turbo owners?

Please help as I am looking to sign the papers in the next 24 hours....

thanks in advance for all the help
Old 12-21-2018, 12:24 PM
skiracer
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are lots of posts here on this topic - search is your friend. Your best bet is to get a PPI from a reputable shop or dealer which will identify any issues which you can then use as bargaining power to finalize your deal. They are great cars and mostly reliable, but the common issues can be expensive if not addressed early. Good luck w/ your purchase and post pics if you get it.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:21 PM
fxtrader
New User

hi Jim....

thanks for the reply...I have searched and obviously every car is different, but I wanted to be in the thread lol...thanks for the advice, much appreciated..will definitely post pics once I get it
Old 12-21-2018, 05:27 PM
SBTT
User

How much are they asking for it??
Old 12-21-2018, 11:51 PM
SubzeroX
User

they're money pits - dont buy
Old 12-23-2018, 06:38 AM
ciaka
User

I would not be saying money pits. Every car needs maintenance. Panameras have some very complex systems and will cost more, especially since some average shops will be hesitant to touch due to lack of experience on the cars and being afraid to damage something.
If you can have full service records and ensure that suspension was serviced (replace air shocks, lower/upper arms, front sway bar bushings), brakes (pads/rotors), PDK service done, front final drive fluid changed, rear differential fluid changed, brake fluid changed, tires new or very good, no leaking coolant, no other leaks, then you have a good car..

These cars have engines pretty much bullet proof. Proven in cayennes and improved upon. Electronics are weakest spot, with so many systems running. Once you choose to get one, make sure you keep maintaining it. We ahve diy threads and maintenance threads, look them up, get familiar with intervals, get the necessary diags and tools, and make sure car is up to date. you will love it.
Good luck.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:18 PM
Outlaw
User

Great post ciaka.

Have to have pics of car Trader.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Paul Rathjen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with ciaka - I actually expect the Porsche to be much worse about parts and repairs than Audi, BMW, and Benz. I am lucky to have 3 independent shops, and in addition a PCA recommended local "guy" who is an expert and will work on the Panamera for reasonably normal hourly charges. Parts cost more than a Chevy cruz...... Maintenance is actually cheaper with longer intervals than my Audi's and SRT Jeep schedules. You also have the added benefit that Porsche has a much higher reliability rating than most luxury brands, basically everything but Lexus. Yes when expensive cars break, they are expensive to fix. The engine and transmission in the P turbo would hurt.....but I tell you what....

....coming from an Audi RS7, there are lots of threads about blown turbos and motors in those S6, S7 and RS7 models. Lots more transmission issues too. Now part of that is because they are tinkered with and tuned a lot more probably than a Porsche, but even people with untouched mid to high miles are reporting issues with those 4.0TT motors. They run a lot of boost and maybe wear out faster - no idea I'm not an expert. I just see a LOT more complaints and scary threads about stuff breaking.

Pretty much every car with active handling no matter if its something advance like the Panamera, the Cadillac mag ride, or something more primitive like the air shocks in the SRT and mustang Shelby cars, will have issues during its life that requires maintenance and repairs. That's just the price for having that feature.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:36 PM
Paul Rathjen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SubzeroX View Post
they're money pits - dont buy
All cars are money pits.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:18 PM
StefanCA
New User

I just bought a 2010 Turbo and drove it back from Colorado to CA in 1 1/2 days (with stop in Arches NP), 1300 miles, and it is an amazing GT car! Since my car only has 35k miles on it the Porsche dealer offered me a 85k Porsche extended warranty, which I took, so at least for the next 50k everything expensive is covered :-)

My car as almost all options (overall 50k in options!), then once I really like: Burmester Audio and adaptive cruise control make long drives easy, the ceramic bakes + sport suspension is great on mountain roads (but I have not driven a car without it, so don't know how much of a difference it makes). The one option my car is missing is the sport chrono package, so the shifts in sport plus mode could be faster for my taste. My current car is a BMW 2002 M5, which is also a really great car, bit smaller and lighter (and has a manual!) but now it needs to go, the Panamera is just so much better.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:22 PM
lexhair
User

Originally Posted by StefanCA View Post
I just bought a 2010 Turbo and drove it back from Colorado to CA in 1 1/2 days (with stop in Arches NP), 1300 miles, and it is an amazing GT car! Since my car only has 35k miles on it the Porsche dealer offered me a 85k Porsche extended warranty, which I took, so at least for the next 50k everything expensive is covered :-)

My car as almost all options (overall 50k in options!), then once I really like: Burmester Audio and adaptive cruise control make long drives easy, the ceramic bakes + sport suspension is great on mountain roads (but I have not driven a car without it, so don't know how much of a difference it makes). The one option my car is missing is the sport chrono package, so the shifts in sport plus mode could be faster for my taste. My current car is a BMW 2002 M5, which is also a really great car, bit smaller and lighter (and has a manual!) but now it needs to go, the Panamera is just so much better.

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2018, 02:43 PM
StefanCA
New User

Talking

Originally Posted by lexhair View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2018, 04:42 PM
Addbuyer
User

opps
Old 01-10-2019, 01:20 AM
Deezflip
User

Congrats!

I guess I'm late with this but you can always check to see if they have open recalls on it. Still waiting on a delivery in a few days on my 2012 but I was worried about the camshaft controller bolts? Nevertheless, mine came up clear. Plus the carfax also stated that as well.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: