Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Would taycan cause further depreciation for the Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Mubes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would taycan cause further depreciation for the Panamera?

What do you guys foresee happening with the Panamera once the taycan gets released? It just seems too similar in size and proportions and offer better performance to top it off. Also from what I gather it’s suppose to cost less as well as far as I’m aware.

Do you guys think the depreciation for Panamera Turbo s e hybrid in particular for example would get eaten away even more than usual?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Its possible it might hurt sales of every Porsche offering, being a totally new direction for Porsche. I think it will be more of an issue for Tesla.

I don't see it depreciating the Panamera more since they already depreciate quite badly initially.

The Tycan is still not going to offer long distance travel at high speeds which is what the Panamera is designed for. That is something that has yet to be solved by electric vehicles. That, and the fact that not everywhere really has the charging infrastructure in place yet either. Some people just aren't ready to mess with the extra pain in the @#$# of an electric car.

I can't wait to see what the actual performance and handling it like on the Tycan, but I still wouldn't really consider one over a Panamera until they can get me 500 miles on a charge.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Addbuyer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

500 real miles means an advertised range of 700+ miles

We had a Nissan Leaf as a town car and it’s range was advertised as being 120 miles. Impossible..... never got more than 70 and that was only possible by switching every battery sapping item off i.e. no radio, heating, daytime running lights etc etc.

the range the manufacturers advertise for fossil fuel engines is fiction but battery....... ha
Old 11-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Originally Posted by Addbuyer
500 real miles means an advertised range of 700+ miles

We had a Nissan Leaf as a town car and it’s range was advertised as being 120 miles. Impossible..... never got more than 70 and that was only possible by switching every battery sapping item off i.e. no radio, heating, daytime running lights etc etc.

the range the manufacturers advertise for fossil fuel engines is fiction but battery....... ha

You're correct because most of the ranges listed are not at highway speeds. I want 400-500 mile range at 80 mph. That's the problem I have with Tesla. You're only getting 200 mile rage at 80-90 mph on those P85D performance sedan models. That's just not enough.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

It's possible that the overall increasing EV demand might reduce demand for IC engines, but this is across the board, not intra-brand specific. Model 3 tesla might take away business from other $50k cars like bmw model 3.. and considering how EV vehicles might age better then IC cars, it just might be that the EV will cause used IC to depreciate more.

My next daily will be an EV, likely a model 3, possibly a Taycan. It would take a massively discounted amg E63 wagon, or used panamera Sport Turismo for example to make me consider these oily IC cars over an EV.

For sports cars it's a different issue.. but for a commuter car.. EV all the way.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:47 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trade Ins

I am currently looking at a turbo model at 170 which as everyone knows is very high and subject to high. depreciation as it is. Once this model becomes available I predict a deluge of trade-ins of ICE Panameras, as they fit the same needs and profile of regular Panamera owners. So what was once heavy depreciation could become very scary depreciation.But I still keep coming back to look at that GT silver car at my dealer.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:48 PM
BC Eddie
AutoX

Range on EV's is a big issue. However I think recharge time is just as critical. It is OK if you are just using the EV for a daily commute where you can recharge at the office or home. However, if on a road trip, who wants to sit around for 2, 3 or more hours to wait to recharge. Yes, I know there are super fast chargers available but from what I heard it is not advised to use them too often as it can degrade the battery.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:58 PM
fbx
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think this is an issue because the buyer profile is so different. EVs make sense for urban dwellers who don't do long distance highway driving, but that demo is going to have a preference for ride sharing services over EV ownership anyway. For folks like me who regularly drive 50+ miles one direction on a highway, the charging time and limited range at speed are dealbreakers. In fact, I rescued a Model S owner last week in a fire evacuation zone in California - he thought his car was charging but the power was out... oops
Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 PM
iamjpad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mubes
What do you guys foresee happening with the Panamera once the taycan gets released? It just seems too similar in size and proportions and offer better performance to top it off. Also from what I gather it’s suppose to cost less as well as far as I’m aware.

Do you guys think the depreciation for Panamera Turbo s e hybrid in particular for example would get eaten away even more than usual?
From what we have all seen, With or without the Taycan, the Panamera depreciation is a base jump without the parachute.
I have one and I can say it has the worst depreciation I've seen in a vehicle except for a brand new Rolls Royce just driven off the lot the day before...
Old 11-19-2018, 11:18 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

Taycan is different type of car and I do not think it will affect Panamera sales.
Maybe in a few years, after Taycan proves itself, but not now for next 3-5 years.
They are going head to head with Tesla. Will be very interesting to see real performance and range numbers after car is in user hands, not in test.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind is that the quoted EV ranges are with the battery topped off to 100%, but general recommendation for best battery life is to only charge to 80% on a regular basis. It's OK to go to 100% occasionally for road trips, but not a good idea everyday.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:51 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

the range is also with warmer temperatures - those of us who live where the temps drop down in to the negative Fahrenheit temps would loose a god bit of range.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DogWood
the range is also with warmer temperatures - those of us who live where the temps drop down in to the negative Fahrenheit temps would loose a god bit of range.
Not just negative Fahrenheit, either. We'd leased a Leaf for a couple of years and the (already limited) range would go off a cliff when temperatures got into the 20s.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

I didn't realize that about lower temperatures. That would be a no go for me as well.

Quick Reply: Would taycan cause further depreciation for the Panamera?