Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

DIY: PDK Transmission Reset Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 03:05 PM
NedNederlander
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - First time poster.....was looking for some solutions on a jerky transmission in my 2016 Cayenne GTS i bought pre-owned from a private party (still CPO).

I just tried this 'interesting' procedure and went for a short drive... feels like the upshifts are smoother but my more annoying issue of a jerky down-shift transition from 3rd to 2nd still exists; curious if anyone else has experienced. This most commonly occurs decelerating on a slight uphill to a stop sign without braking. Going from 3rd to 2nd is like a big surge down and it looks like my occupants are head-banging.

Will try this procedure again and see, maybe i wasn't precise enough for German engineering
Old 10-09-2020, 11:16 PM
sgarrick
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this procedure on my 2018 Panamera 4S. So far, the difference is noticeable. What I found problematic (before reset) was a rather slow upshift. As some mentioned, the car behaved as if pulling the right paddle was a suggestion.

Thanks for posting this reset process.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:34 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes it worked for me too. Upshifts were slow prior to this. Now they are fast as intended.

Note, this procedure has to be done when the car & transmission is at OPERATING temp.

Cant do it say, first thing in the morning when everything is cold. FYI
Old 10-16-2020, 07:21 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

I just tried the short version on my '14 4S we bought in March. I'm not sure what the extended version is. I can't see any pics in the original post in this thread, but I found the procedure on You Tube. The procedure I did didn't include pressing the accelerator.

I've only driven it a few miles so far, but it seems smoother in the lower gears, and from a dead stop. Also seems more responsive in Comfort mode. Instead of putting it in Sport Mode all the time now, I may start leaving it in Comfort mode for the softer ride and just using the loud exhaust mode (not very loud).

What's interesting is that this sequence of events doesn't seem very special, almost like something that could happen randomly any time, idle, AC on, idle, shut off car, lock it, etc... Very strange to design a procedure like that. I would have expected something clearly out of the ordinary, like press this button 3 times, etc.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:36 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Would you guys advise to do this process after doing PDK relearn with a Cobb accessport? Or does the Cobb take care of this while doing the relearn?
Old 10-23-2020, 11:46 AM
20PanGb4s
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

We test drove a 20 4 and we almost passed on it because of that weird hesitant low end sluggishness, the dealers would be wise to learn up the pdk's the new fleet before people drive them. We ended up teststing a 4s that was probably broken in better and went with it.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:02 PM
aways
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this procedure to be done with the car in Drive (D) or Park (P), or does it matter? Should the car/transmission be fully warmed up?
Old 12-04-2020, 10:42 AM
Epcot1988
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

You leave the car in Park. Since this is a computer reset the transmission does not need to be warmed up.

Basically speaking the computer is looking for this specific sequence of events that put it into relearn mode as it was new to learn your specific driving style/habits. Being the transmission is basically a computer controlled manual it is the computer that is controlling the shifting that is relearning not the 'transmission'.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:58 PM
aways
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Great! Thanks much!
Old 04-11-2021, 11:25 AM
Wolfpackdad56
7th Gear

I purchased a 2018 used Panamera and noticed a jerk when going from the first to second gear. I was going to take it to the shop to have looked at. I stumbled on this thread and followed the reset instructions. It worked perfectly!!! The noticeable jerk is gone. Thanks so much Ciaka for the post.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:50 PM
Sweeny40yrds
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this thread a bit late whilst I was searching for something similar. Anyway I was fascinated by this so I gave the long sequence a go today and yes, it was an interesting experience. For what is worth I've found the PDK shifts to 2nd gear noticeably quicker and the progression through the gears has become much smoother.

The thing that I like is the sound difference. I took the trouble to record the unlocking in a before and after experiment and yes there is a change. I've found that the locking/unlocking sound are no longer the same. Locking seems to have a duller clunk and somewhat quicker.

Bit of an Easter egg from the programmer I suppose but fair play , its nice to have some surprises in life.

Would be great if all of these little quirks and clever little resets were documented somewhere.

Regards
Alan
Old 08-04-2021, 09:07 PM
Mlombardo71
2nd Gear

Default Works like a charm

Originally Posted by ciaka
If you buy your car pre owned, or if it went into limp mode, or you just think you have some quirks in it, one way to diagnose or pd if you have issues, is to try reset the PDK itself.
The car learns driver habits over time. After a few years, a new owner may have different driving style, and this reset will help the new owner get car into factory condition, so it can learn new owner habits and hopefully be a better experience for the new driver.
Below pic is from Porsche, and gives 4 steps on how to reset PDK to factory mode.
Good luck. Hope it helps someone here.
did the procedure on 2010 4s and it shifts perfectly now. Before it was very jerky and not pdk like. First Panamera and am in love big time. What a car
Old 08-23-2021, 02:17 PM
fiss&bills
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a2016 GT4 with PDK and it it started acting very weird. It has 1000 miles on it and three days ago I was driving in 3rd gear upshifted and it skipped 4th and went into 5th then downshifted and it skipped 4th went directly to 3rd, then it just started shifting on its own up to 7th.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:58 PM
scottmcdaniel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was hoping this would clear the 'transmission emergency run' error on my 2010 Boxster. Tried several times but no luck. Guess I'm stuck with waiting out my appointment with the dealer in 12 days. ×

Last edited by scottmcdaniel; 10-03-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:03 AM
porschepana7
Advanced

do i have to make sure the A/C and fan controls are OFF before i start the car for the first 3 minutes or do i start the engine and then turn off the A/C and fan controls to start the first 3 minutes? and after the first 3 minutes do i turn on both the A/C and fan speeds for both driver and passenger side?

thanks

Quick Reply: DIY: PDK Transmission Reset Procedure