Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Did mine today,,,,WOW.
FR
Old 11-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't 100% tell if it did anything. Its unfortunate that there isn't a chime or something that indicates something is reset.

I will say that I feel as if the throttle is more responsive, but its not great enough to be able to tell if its only in my head!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:52 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
I can't 100% tell if it did anything. Its unfortunate that there isn't a chime or something that indicates something is reset.

I will say that I feel as if the throttle is more responsive, but its not great enough to be able to tell if its only in my head!
Mine had a different sounding beep when I unlocked the car after the procedure. This indicated to me that something changed in the system. I didn't think to record it.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993_SC
As for the extended procedure, it consisted of adding the step of pressing the accelerator once at the 1:50min mark during each of the 3min phases(AC off, AC on, Transmission in gear), with brake applied obviously.

I'm not sure if the additional step really made a difference since the whole procedure seems quite odd to begin with, but it worked.
In an earlier post you indicated 1:30 min. mark. Just wondering which one is correct 1:30 or 1:50. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:56 AM
993_SC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1min 30 sec was what was indicated. Here is the whole procedure, somewhat blurry:
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
PP4 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:10 AM
nav4111
Intermediate

Ok. Dumb question : How do you turn off the PCM? I know pressing the left button mutes the sound, but where is off?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:54 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by nav4111
Ok. Dumb question : How do you turn off the PCM? I know pressing the left button mutes the sound, but where is off?
Not a dumb question at all. Press and hold the left button until the PCM shuts down.

Going to try this procedure in the Macan and see if there is a noticeable difference. Definitely an interesting procedure.
jvd (10-23-2020)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:27 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by nav4111
Definitely not a dumb question to me - I was wondering the same thing and didn’t know how to turn the PCM when I tried the procedure last night.

i will give it another try with the latest posted procedures and turning the PCM off by pressing and holding the left button that normally mutes the sound.

One more clarication though - when step 1.4 says “engine idling for 3 minutes with air conditioning switch on and transmission range engaged” what does not mean exactly?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:31 AM
griffith_500
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
Not a dumb question at all. Press and hold the left button until the PCM shuts down.

Going to try this procedure in the Macan and see if there is a noticeable difference. Definitely an interesting procedure.
The mute button on the steering wheel doesn't turn my PCM off, I have to press the volume wheel on the middle console instead.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:33 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by griffith_500
The mute button on the steering wheel doesn't turn my PCM off, I have to press the volume wheel on the middle console instead.
Correct. PCM controls. Not steering wheel controls. Apologies if that wasn't clearly articulated.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:36 AM
griffith_500
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
Correct. PCM controls. Not steering wheel controls. Apologies if that wasn't clearly articulated.
On the same topic, is there a detailed manual for the PCM available somewhere? Everything I've seen so far isn't very detailed and things like the above are not mentioned at all...
Old 12-20-2018, 02:43 PM
993_SC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transmission range engaged refers to having the transmission in gear (Drive) during that phase. Hold the brake firmly and you will need to press the accelerator at the same time, at one point.

Thanks again to Ciaka for finding this procedure.

Cheers,
Spyro
Old 12-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993_SC
Transmission range engaged refers to having the transmission in gear (Drive) during that phase. Hold the brake firmly and you will need to press the accelerator at the same time, at one point.

Thanks again to Ciaka for finding this procedure.

Cheers,
Spyro
Thanks for clarifying that.

Also - and I don’t know if this is correct or not but. . .

I actually dropped my 2018 4S off today at the dealership to have something with the Porsche Connect done and have a rattle in my rear passenger door addressed and while there I asked them about the PDK recalibration and showed them the printed instructions that were posted here. The service manager indicated that the posted processes don’t recalibrate anything and that the PDK itself continues to learn from the driver’s habits each trip. He then looked up my car and said they updated and flashed the software completely on 08/15/18 (after the first owner traded in the car) and that the dealership doing that software update is the only way to start from scratch with a recalibrated PDK.

Let me be super clear here - I have no idea whether what the service manager told me is correct (hell, I have only owned a Porsche for 2 weeks) but wanted to at least relay it here regardless. Hell, I will still probably retry the procedure myself despite what I was told by the dealership even if it is just a placebo effect, lol.
Viper pilot (10-08-2020)
Old 12-21-2018, 06:10 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawtyger

Thanks for clarifying that.

Also - and I don’t know if this is correct or not but. . .

I actually dropped my 2018 4S off today at the dealership to have something with the Porsche Connect done and have a rattle in my rear passenger door addressed and while there I asked them about the PDK recalibration and showed them the printed instructions that were posted here. The service manager indicated that the posted processes don’t recalibrate anything and that the PDK itself continues to learn from the driver’s habits each trip. He then looked up my car and said they updated and flashed the software completely on 08/15/18 (after the first owner traded in the car) and that the dealership doing that software update is the only way to start from scratch with a recalibrated PDK.

Let me be super clear here - I have no idea whether what the service manager told me is correct (hell, I have only owned a Porsche for 2 weeks) but wanted to at least relay it here regardless. Hell, I will still probably retry the procedure myself despite what I was told by the dealership even if it is just a placebo effect, lol.
The OP and 993 are advising how to "Reset" the PDK - which as you say is clearing any learned driver habits. Its not recalibrating the PDK that your dealer is on about.
Reset is a basic driver procedure, my old BMW 640d had it too, probably most auto's do these days.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:44 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Oh, thanks for clarifying. I am still going to try it on my 4S.

Quick Reply: DIY: PDK Transmission Reset Procedure