Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamara Base vs. Maserati Ghibli S

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Panamara Base vs. Maserati Ghibli S

Anyone here either went from driving a Maserati Ghibli to a Panamera? Even if you haven't, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two cars compared.

Currently I have as my daily driver a 2017 Maserati Ghibli S that I bought new for $68,000 total (that includes sales tax, tag, etc). When I bought it in the spring of 2017 I really loved the Panamera but never fully researched it since the base Panamera price seemed to be at least $100,000 (after sales tax, tag, etc.). Just didn't seem that paying $32,000 more made a lot of sense.

Fast forward a year and 1/2 and the Panamera itch is still alive and well and perhaps getting stronger. I bought the Ghibli but don't plan on keeping it past the 4 year warranty point and I'm also now considering if making a move between now and that point is something I should consider. It would be my first Porsche and after reading some of the discussions threads I'm wondering if getting a used 2017 base to start would be a good way to go with the hope of eventually landing in a 4S. I suppose a 2017 4S could be a doable option in the latter part of 2019 or 2020. I just state this as something I thought about but don't really want this thread to become a discussion about base vs. 4S.

Really hoping someone has some experience with both a Ghibli and the Panamera and if not I'd still love to hear everyone's thoughts on just how much of an upgrade the Panamera really is given a pretty substantial price difference compared to what I was able to get my Ghibli at.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 PM
bosch
Advanced

I had a 2014 Ghibli SQ4... great car.. quite reliable surprisingly for the 4 years I had it. I didn't load up on options, so the interior was pretty plain. The plastics are not as nice as the Porsches. The fit and finish is way behind as well. Beautiful exhaust note. The drive was OK... nothing special. It's a beautiful car, but starting to get a little dated as other cars start to copy its style cues.

How it compares to the Panamera (2018 4 E-hybrid) is hard as one is a ICE only vs a hybrid. Porsche interiors are wonderful (quality of materials and fit and finish). Sitting in the Porsche, you feel like you are sitting in a 911. In the Ghibli, it felt like a "normal" sedan. I got the PSE on my hybrid, so when I want to "play" I can get very good exhaust tones (lots of grabble and noise). Definitely a must buy.

In short, it is definitely an upgrade from a Ghibli to a Panamera.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by bosch
I had a 2014 Ghibli SQ4... great car.. quite reliable surprisingly for the 4 years I had it. I didn't load up on options, so the interior was pretty plain. The plastics are not as nice as the Porsches. The fit and finish is way behind as well. Beautiful exhaust note. The drive was OK... nothing special. It's a beautiful car, but starting to get a little dated as other cars start to copy its style cues.
Glad to hear you opinion as a previous Ghibli owner. Gotta say, your description of the Ghibli matches my thoughts very closely. No reliability issues, beautiful car, great exhaust note. Note really “fast” (or at least not as fast as the general public thinks, the exhaust note is still great, but loosing its luster in the sense that I think I would appreciate a quality of materials interior feel daily more than the exhaust note when I get on it every now and then.

Sounds like Ike it’s a definite upgrade and you have no regrets. What I am struggling with and fortunately have time to figure out is do the Ghibli’s interior woes and items the Panamera excels at equate to justify what appears to be a $25,000 to $30,000 cost increase for me. To my surprise, my car insurance rate actually would go down $250 a year despite the Panamera replacement cost being much higher than the Ghibli.

Hoping to get some other opinions whether they come from previous Ghibli owners or elsewhere.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:08 AM
nvarga
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As Bosch already said, Panamera has way better material quality in the interior. I would also add i f that matters to you - Panamera is much larger car than Ghibli. Quattroporte is comparable to Panamera, Ghibli is smaller. That is for me very much of a problem as I don't have enough space in Ghibli. I am 190cm (6,25") and when I adjust driving seat to my needs, in the back not even a kid can seat.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:57 AM
bosch
Advanced

Yes the Panamera definitely is a larger car; however, it surprising lacks storage space. The trunk, for a hatchback, is small. The interior storage compartments are tiny compared to the Ghibli. The Porsche feels special inside, while the Ghibli was just ok. Maybe I’ll get bored with the Panamera interior as time goes on, but the Ghibli never feel wow from the start. I still miss the exhaust note at a cold start up.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:49 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by nvarga
As Bosch already said, Panamera has way better material quality in the interior. I would also add i f that matters to you - Panamera is much larger car than Ghibli. Quattroporte is comparable to Panamera, Ghibli is smaller. That is for me very much of a problem as I don't have enough space in Ghibli. I am 190cm (6,25") and when I adjust driving seat to my needs, in the back not even a kid can seat.
the limited room in the backseat of my Ghibli is one of the things I hoped the Panamera would address. Currently have a 4 year old in a car seat in the back who fortunately sits behind the passenger seat so I can move that seat forward to add a little room. As she gets bigger, having a roomier back seat area for her and others is a must.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by bosch
The Porsche feels special inside, while the Ghibli was just ok. Maybe I’ll get bored with the Panamera interior as time goes on, but the Ghibli never feel wow from the start. I still miss the exhaust note at a cold start up.
Obviously at purchase of my Ghibli my excitement was off the charts and everything about the car I “loved” lol. Overtime, my love for the exterior look of the car has not diminished one bit - IMO it still is gorgeous. The interior now feels exactly as you described - doesn’t feel wow. My previous car was an Acura TL and I almost feel now that the look and feel of the interior components were more appealing to me than the Ghibli’s. The TL was all black interior and I wonder if my curio color interior in the Ghibli is starting to feel a little old in a way that my black TL interior after 6 years never did. To be clear though, I enjoy the Ghibli MUCH more than my old TL in almost every other respect (excluding maintence and car insurance, lol).

As far as the exhaust note goes, yes I like it but it too over time has started to not seem as important and I know my wife wouldn’t mind if the car didn’t start so loud in the garage each morning when I leave at 6 am (my neighbors too).

Old 11-07-2018, 12:15 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

The Panamera 4 E-Hybrid is great for starting quietly in electric-only mode (E-Power) but still having oodles of power when you need it (462 hp) -- fabulous driving car. I also like leaving and coming home into my neighborhood quietly, as well as at work. You can get a base 4 E-Hybrid new for probably around USD $93k if you shop around, with no add-on options (might have to be a special order) -- but it's already loaded with tons of stuff standard. Remember that you get $6700 off in federal tax credit, plus whatever your state might offer in rebates (my state offers an additional $1000 off on plug-in hybrids). As a 2018 Pan4 E-Hybrid ST owner, I'd never again consider an ICE-only Panamera (and I used to own one, very happily).
Old 12-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lawtyger
Anyone here either went from driving a Maserati Ghibli to a Panamera? Even if you haven't, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two cars compared.

Currently I have as my daily driver a 2017 Maserati Ghibli S that I bought new for $68,000 total (that includes sales tax, tag, etc). When I bought it in the spring of 2017 I really loved the Panamera but never fully researched it since the base Panamera price seemed to be at least $100,000 (after sales tax, tag, etc.). Just didn't seem that paying $32,000 more made a lot of sense.

Fast forward a year and 1/2 and the Panamera itch is still alive and well and perhaps getting stronger. I bought the Ghibli but don't plan on keeping it past the 4 year warranty point and I'm also now considering if making a move between now and that point is something I should consider. It would be my first Porsche and after reading some of the discussions threads I'm wondering if getting a used 2017 base to start would be a good way to go with the hope of eventually landing in a 4S. I suppose a 2017 4S could be a doable option in the latter part of 2019 or 2020. I just state this as something I thought about but don't really want this thread to become a discussion about base vs. 4S.

Really hoping someone has some experience with both a Ghibli and the Panamera and if not I'd still love to hear everyone's thoughts on just how much of an upgrade the Panamera really is given a pretty substantial price difference compared to what I was able to get my Ghibli at.
i wanted to follow-up on my original post in the unlikely event another Ghibli owner comes here debating a switch to the Panamera. Simply put - DO IT and don’t hesitate a bit.

Every extra dollar it cost to clearly upgrade from the Ghibli to the Panamera 4S was worth it. . . By a long shot. Literally, the ONLY thing I miss or that the Ghibli did better than the Panamera 4S was it had auto start from the remote. Everything else, including the exhaust note if you get th sport pipes is better IMO. The quality and refinement between the two vehicles is not even arguably comparable.

I’ll always believe that the Ghibli exterior look is one off the most beautiful 4 door exterior is out there, but my 4S has me even questioning that thinking and I’m thoroughly happy to have made the switch.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:04 AM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

Beautiful combo! Did you build it or was it on the lot?

I am not trying to be mean or rude so don't take it the wrong way. The exterior of the Maserati looks like an Infiniti and the interior looks like a Chrysler to me.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by zelement
Beautiful combo! Did you build it or was it on the lot?

I am not trying to be mean or rude so don't take it the wrong way. The exterior of the Maserati looks like an Infiniti and the interior looks like a Chrysler to me.
I’ll agree that the interior looked and felt like a Chrysler to me as well.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

While the Maserati isn't the Grand Tourismo, the Ghibli is miles better in chassis design than anything Infiniti has offered.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:04 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawtyger

I’ll agree that the interior looked and felt like a Chrysler to me as well.
Well technically it uses the same parts and systems as many Dodge/Chrysler as part of FCA, so there is a reason you feel this way! I think the Mazzi, they look really good, but they really just don't do anything better than any number of other choices in cars, most of which cost less.....

Jaguar, Land Rover and Bentley are about the only non-mega-exotic that have interiors on part with Porsche. I don't mind BMW and Benz but to me they look and feel just short from a build quality and feel to the Porsche.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 PM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
Well technically it uses the same parts and systems as many Dodge/Chrysler as part of FCA, so there is a reason you feel this way! I think the Mazzi, they look really good, but they really just don't do anything better than any number of other choices in cars, most of which cost less.....

Jaguar, Land Rover and Bentley are about the only non-mega-exotic that have interiors on part with Porsche. I don't mind BMW and Benz but to me they look and feel just short from a build quality and feel to the Porsche.
I strongly disagree with this. Jaguar and Land Rover have the worst quality interior out of any car I've ever been in. Domestic or Foreign. Regarding Bentley, their quality and material are far superior than Porsche, it's not even close. I am a former 2010 Bentley GT Speed coupe owner so I can say without a doubt that every interior part of the Bentley used is superior than any Porsche.

BMW is BMW. Not known for super high quality materials or interior but it's still better than Jaguar for sure. My last car before my 971 Panamera was a 2015 650I GC. I never felt that the interior was inferior to the Panamera. Very close if not equal. Driving experience is another story.

As far as Merccedes, it really depends on the model. The modern day W222 S class Mercedes is now on par with Bentley. I've owned 4 W216 & W221 550s & 63s from 2008 to 2012 and I have to say their quality was near that of my Bentley. The current generation 222 550 & 63s are really on the next level as far as interior quality and material.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:43 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

When I looked at Panamera, I was also looking at the grand turismo sport, and can say the one thing I loved form the maserati, was the ferrari exhaust note.
Other than that, interior looked dated,

Quick Reply: Panamara Base vs. Maserati Ghibli S