Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamara Base vs. Maserati Ghibli S

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

If you take a 2014-2018 Bently, Masseratti, Aston Martin, and compare it to a Porsche, it looks WAY dated. Maybe the leather is softer on that Bentley but that doesn't make it better. A 2014 Vantage looks like it has the technology of a car much behind its price point. The Mass GT also looks extremely dated. Jaguar, Range Rover, Porsche, BMW and Audi have way better tech for a given year in general in my opinion. Porsche seems to be cutting edge in that my 2012 looked as updated as my 2014 Jeep SRT and 2014 Audi RS7. The 2014 Jag XJR's have full LED dash screens, and pretty cushy trims, but the infortainment isn't anything special. Its still head and tails above Bentley from what I've sat in and interacted with.

If we are talking jags and rovers we aren't talking base models when comparing to a Panamera and a Masseratti......The $130,000 + models are head and tails above BMW.

That Grand T sounds amazing which almost makes up for its completely lackluster driving performance....but not quite. A used Ghib really isn't priced too bad and are really pretty nice looking, decently performing cars. Used they aren't a bad deal at all, but I have no idea about their reliability.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lawtyger
Anyone here either went from driving a Maserati Ghibli to a Panamera? Even if you haven't, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two cars compared.

Currently I have as my daily driver a 2017 Maserati Ghibli S that I bought new for $68,000 total (that includes sales tax, tag, etc). When I bought it in the spring of 2017 I really loved the Panamera but never fully researched it since the base Panamera price seemed to be at least $100,000 (after sales tax, tag, etc.). Just didn't seem that paying $32,000 more made a lot of sense.

Fast forward a year and 1/2 and the Panamera itch is still alive and well and perhaps getting stronger. I bought the Ghibli but don't plan on keeping it past the 4 year warranty point and I'm also now considering if making a move between now and that point is something I should consider. It would be my first Porsche and after reading some of the discussions threads I'm wondering if getting a used 2017 base to start would be a good way to go with the hope of eventually landing in a 4S. I suppose a 2017 4S could be a doable option in the latter part of 2019 or 2020. I just state this as something I thought about but don't really want this thread to become a discussion about base vs. 4S.

Really hoping someone has some experience with both a Ghibli and the Panamera and if not I'd still love to hear everyone's thoughts on just how much of an upgrade the Panamera really is given a pretty substantial price difference compared to what I was able to get my Ghibli at.
One month update since purschaing my 2018 4S and was the original poster of this thread. Here is the update - NEVER looking back or going back to Maserati. Loving the Panamera and really not comparable to the Ghibli I was driving.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:19 AM
JPT99
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good looking 4s. I’m looking at a 2018 4s CPO as well. Same color. Will be my first Porsche. I’ve been driving a BMW 550i. I’m excited for the move, but am a little concerned about the power. I’m used to a 450hp TT V8. How has the power of the 4s been for you?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from the Ghibli the power has been great. No comparison really off the line and if I use the launch mode (which I haven’t much) the car stick to the ground and goes. No turbo lag off the line like with my Ghibli.

that said, you are going from a different vehicle so how you will perceive the performance in comparison with you TT V8 May be totally different.

the performance upgrade for me was a pleasant surprise, but not really my goal in upgrading. The Panamera is just so much more refined amd feels like quality inside when driving. I truly enjoy the interior of the car, the feel and the way it drives so much more than the Ghibli.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:45 PM
ScreaM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JPT99
Good looking 4s. I’m looking at a 2018 4s CPO as well. Same color. Will be my first Porsche. I’ve been driving a BMW 550i. I’m excited for the move, but am a little concerned about the power. I’m used to a 450hp TT V8. How has the power of the 4s been for you?
I currently drives a BMW M550i and I'm ordering a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid for the wife. The M550i is really a beast (455HP but way underrated). Off the line acceleration on P4EH gives you similar feeling of M550i, but run out of steam sooner. M550i would just pull hard even beyond 100MPH. However, Panamera does drive like a much smaller car, feels less front heavy compared to the M550i.

I love both cars. M550i is an incredible bargain at its price range. However BMW design is getting more and more muscular, which my wife doesn't like. Panamera has the elegant design that's just timeless. So I'm willing to pay the Porsche premium to get her what she likes.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:10 PM
JPT99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScreaM
I currently drives a BMW M550i and I'm ordering a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid for the wife. The M550i is really a beast (455HP but way underrated). Off the line acceleration on P4EH gives you similar feeling of M550i, but run out of steam sooner. M550i would just pull hard even beyond 100MPH. However, Panamera does drive like a much smaller car, feels less front heavy compared to the M550i.

I love both cars. M550i is an incredible bargain at its price range. However BMW design is getting more and more muscular, which my wife doesn't like. Panamera has the elegant design that's just timeless. So I'm willing to pay the Porsche premium to get her what she likes.

I appreciate this insight. I feel these cars are very similar in style and performance. The 2020 m550i is slated to have the new TTV8 found in the new 850i (530 hp). If so, it’ll be even that much quicker. The 4S wouldn’t be able to come close that quickness. I agree the Porsche has better styling inside and out. I’m just having a tough time justifying the price difference. Even a 2018 CPO 4S will run approx $105k, which is $20k more than a loaded m550i. Also, as is well known, Porsche traditionally have poor rates (fianance and lease), especially compared to BMW. For me, leasing works well, mainly because I like new cars every 2-3 years. I have a feeling Porsche will slowly but surely start offering better rates. I think they will be forced to in order to stay competitive. The more I look at this, the harder it’s getting to make the switch. I’ve still got several more months to make up my mind.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:30 PM
ScreaM
Intermediate

I appreciate this insight. I feel these cars are very similar in style and performance. The 2020 m550i is slated to have the new TTV8 found in the new 850i (530 hp). If so, it’ll be even that much quicker. The 4S wouldn’t be able to come close that quickness. I agree the Porsche has better styling inside and out. I’m just having a tough time justifying the price difference. Even a 2018 CPO 4S will run approx $105k, which is $20k more than a loaded m550i. Also, as is well known, Porsche traditionally have poor rates (fianance and lease), especially compared to BMW. For me, leasing works well, mainly because I like new cars every 2-3 years. I have a feeling Porsche will slowly but surely start offering better rates. I think they will be forced to in order to stay competitive. The more I look at this, the harder it’s getting to make the switch. I’ve still got several more months to make up my mind.
I leased my past 3 BMWs and was able to find good deals each time. Not with Porsche though. From the information I've gathered even an ok deal is hard to come by. High money factor + low residual = terrible leases.

I've seen quite a few 2018 dealer demo cars that are heavily discounted. Since they have never been registered, maybe you can still lease them and hopefully the significant cap cost reduction can get you a good deal.

To me, the Panamera is really a (very expensive) gift to my wife. So I have to bite the bullet
Old 02-28-2019, 12:58 AM
JPT99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScreaM
I leased my past 3 BMWs and was able to find good deals each time. Not with Porsche though. From the information I've gathered even an ok deal is hard to come by. High money factor + low residual = terrible leases.

I've seen quite a few 2018 dealer demo cars that are heavily discounted. Since they have never been registered, maybe you can still lease them and hopefully the significant cap cost reduction can get you a good deal.

To me, the Panamera is really a (very expensive) gift to my wife. So I have to bite the bullet
That is an incredible gift! She’s one lucky wife indeed.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I've seen nothing in the marketplace that points in this direction. Porsche continues to have phenomenal success despite their finance rates. Not sure why they'd change!

For my part, I'm traditionally a leaser as well. I too like a new car every 3 years, and I also get a business benefit. However, in the case of my PTT Sport Turismo, I purchased it because the lease rates were "that bad." Further, even though I took Porsche financing for the purchase, I intend to refi with my local financing options after 4 months (the soonest Porsche allows), which will save me over a point on the loan rate. Whether I keep it too much beyond 3/4 years depends on how those 3/4 years have gone... I got a spectacular deal on a new 2018 vehicle, so I'd check cargurus and similar sources to see what dealers still have on the lot. You may be able to get into the Porsche closer to the BMW price than you might think. Dealers are very motivated to move the leftover 2018 vehicles, and there aren't many differences between the 2018s and 2019s.

Quick Reply: Panamara Base vs. Maserati Ghibli S