Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2018 Panamera & Apple CarPlay Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:27 PM
petelp
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joby
Update: PCM worked for 1 day and then same errors occurred with iPhone. I truly think it's an iPhone compatibility issue.
Are you using the most current iOS version?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:15 AM
gShchegolev
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue. I figured out a solution:

Go to Settings -> Display -> Disable Proximity Sensor.

Porsche proximity sensor should be auto deactivated when Apple Carplay is activated but they obviously didn't do that.

Super irritating that it took me over a year to find this but at least it works now perfectly.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:49 PM
petelp
Advanced

Originally Posted by gShchegolev
I had this issue. I figured out a solution:

Go to Settings -> Display -> Disable Proximity Sensor.

Porsche proximity sensor should be auto deactivated when Apple Carplay is activated but they obviously didn't do that.

Super irritating that it took me over a year to find this but at least it works now perfectly.
How frequently were you having the problem prior to that setting change? And how long ago did you change that setting?

FYI I haven't had the problem once in the last 10 months, without any such change. And just to double check, are you talking about the problem where the PCM leaves carplay and goes to the PCM home screen on its own, without being touched?
Old 08-20-2019, 03:32 PM
gShchegolev
3rd Gear

Just to clarify, I have 2018 Panamera with new Porsche PCM.

I have latest iPhone with latest OS.

Issue was where the PCM leaves CarPlay and goes to the PCM home screen on its own, without being touched.

I had this issue 10 times in a 1 hour drive. CarPlay was unusable until I changed "Proximity Sensor" Settings.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:41 PM
petelp
Advanced

Originally Posted by gShchegolev
Just to clarify, I have 2018 Panamera with new Porsche PCM.

I have latest iPhone with latest OS.

Issue was where the PCM leaves CarPlay and goes to the PCM home screen on its own, without being touched.

I had this issue 10 times in a 1 hour drive. CarPlay was unusable until I changed "Proximity Sensor" Settings.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you really solved it in your car. Hearty Congratulations.

Just for the record, I've got:
- 2018 4S, with the new Porsche PCM,
- Latest iPhone (Xs Max), latest iOS (12.4)
- PCM proximity sensor turned ON

I have not had the "Jump to home Screen" problem appear once in the last 10 months, and I'm using carplay 99% of my driving time

No idea what the difference between us is. Perhaps we should each try to see what our PCM software version is.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:00 PM
gShchegolev
3rd Gear

I also have 4S but my phone is not Xs Max, perhaps I need to go bigger this year.

I'll check PCM version later today.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:25 AM
socalcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Had this happen several times and noticed it always occurred when my cell service is unreachable.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:19 AM
petelp
Advanced

Originally Posted by socalcarguy
Had this happen several times and noticed it always occurred when my cell service is unreachable.
Same for me. However, it only happened for me on the panny that I rented (as a weekend trial run) before I purchased a new one.

It has never happened to me in the panny I purchased in October. Despite going to the same places and with the same cell coverage. When was your car newly purchased and have you inquired about a PCM software upgrade?
Old 07-20-2022, 04:42 PM
alien2108
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can’t believe this is still an issue, but it is. On my 2017 it was throwing out Carplay like every 3 minutes in Swiss alps. Found this thread. Disabling onboard PCM module (built in sim) solved the issue for good! No more problems even after 600km.

Porsche PCM is a disaster. This issue, google not working, even the built in pcm always had some issue….
Old 07-20-2022, 04:48 PM
socalcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alien2108
I can’t believe this is still an issue, but it is. On my 2017 it was throwing out Carplay like every 3 minutes in Swiss alps. Found this thread. Disabling onboard PCM module (built in sim) solved the issue for good! No more problems even after 600km.

Porsche PCM is a disaster. This issue, google not working, even the built in pcm always had some issue….
Oh man, going to try this! Thank you. I still have this issue once in a while and the Porsche Dealer keeps asking me to make a video.

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera & Apple CarPlay Issue