Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera & Apple CarPlay Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 03:21 PM
BradleyCB
Track Day

Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 Panamera & Apple CarPlay Issue

I didn't see anything on point when I searched for this. Perhaps others can help me with an issue we keep encountering with Apple CarPlay and our 2018 Panamera Turbo. We are able to connect my Apple iPhone X to the car, enabling CarPlay. However, for some reason, the entertainment system tries to override CarPlay and reverts to PCM's home screen instead of displaying CarPlay. For example, suppose we are listening to Sirius '90s on 9. Then we connect my iPhone to try to listen to a playlist off of my phone. The song on my phone will play, but the display in the car automatically goes to the PCM home screen.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a setting within PCM I need to adjust to stop this from happening, or is this more of a CarPlay issue?

I appreciate any feedback provided.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, I haven't experienced this issue (with the same setup of car + phone). Upon connecting the iPhone, music starts playing from the previous source - in my case Spotify - but the display doesn't change until I select CarPlay.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you get back to the apple play screen once its jumped back to the home screen?

I had similar issue, iPhone 5s, apple play would work, then would jump back to the home screen, still play songs, but I couldn't get back to the appleplay screen when pressing the apple play button on the touch screen.

Not sure what happened to resolve it, but since it was serviced at 10k its working 100% as it should.
I don't know if its a coincidence or if my phone did an update or if Porsche did an update.

There are bugs in these cars, little irritating ones, - my widget never holds the settings I put in, its always the hybrid screen. My mirrors wouldn't close with a long press on the key, (after doing so for a year), now they suddenly do again.
My boot./ trunk started bleeping at the fully open position for now reason after 8 months, until I programmed it to stop an inch earlier.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

There is so much new software in these cars, Porsche needs to start thinking like a software company....

they really should integrate some way of either reporting a bug when it happens or saving the state of the system so they can look at it later (but knowing precisely when and where)
Old 10-04-2018, 05:14 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DogWood
There is so much new software in these cars, Porsche needs to start thinking like a software company....

they really should integrate some way of either reporting a bug when it happens or saving the state of the system so they can look at it later (but knowing precisely when and where)
I agree, its a computer with an ICE.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:07 AM
slipcky
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2018 E-Hybrid and I have the same exact issue! I’ve experienced it since I first got the car a few weeks ago. I have an iPhone X on iOS 12. I will be using maps on my phone and it will just close CarPlay and go back to the PCM main screen. I am taking it in tomorrow for other service and will have them check it out. I will let you know if they find anything.

The following users liked this post:
nonsense (08-28-2019)
Old 10-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Joby
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2018 4S and have had exactly the issue you described above, the car would after a period of time just go to the standard PCM screen without any notice. And then today, I stopped the car turned off the engine and removed the phone and the phone will no longer connect hardwired as a Car Play phone. Only connects via Blue Tooth. I deleted the Porsche file on the phone and tried to re-establish and no luck either. Somewhat rediculous in general that a $200K car can't just replicate the screen of a phone and not need to emulate a simpler version of iOS. Such a joke, and this is after I was ANDROID FOR YEARS, and just bought the Xs Max so I can get better access to my 450GB of music. Onlya lso to have Apple Car Play say sorry I can not look for albums from an artist while I am driving.

I also went to Genius bar and asked for a list of Apple Car Play commands, and the guy said they don't have it. Joke! Why couldn't Porsche just include Android Auto, such a waste in my opinion.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 PM
petelp
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Voice commands work very beautifully for every conceivable music request. You can google “Siri music commands”. Just note that they list those commands with “hey Siri” (a hands free way to activate Siri), but when you use carplay you don’t say “hey Siri” because you activate Siri by pressing and holding the Siri activation button on the stalk. Just leave off the “Hey Siri” part.

You can use any of these music commands below, even when you’re not listening to music and you’re in another app, such as maps. When you say these music commands, Siri will interpret them all as a request for the Apple Music app.

here are some music examples

“Play [song name]”
”Play [album name]”
”Play album [album name]” (this eliminates song/album ambiguity)
”Play [song name] by [artist]”. (Thus helping Siri to choose the right version of the song)
”Play playlist [playlist name]”
”Play some music by [artist name]”
”Play recent music by [artist name]”
”Play some [genre name]”
”Play more like this”
“Play [song name] from [album name]”
”Play [song name] from album [album name]” (this command might help when you have longer song or album names).
”rewind 10 seconds”
”rewind 3 minutes”. (Use any time interval you can think of. This also works great for the audible audio book app)
”skip to next track”
”skips forward 30 seconds”

here are some voice commands for other apps that may come in handy

“take me home”. This requires that you've previously done the following
-- (a) Create a contact in the phone app for your personal info including home address, and optionally a work address
-- (b) go to settings > "siri & search" > my information, then choose the contact in your contact list that you've setup for yourself,

”take me to work” (needs a work address in your personal contact info. See "take me home" above)
”take me to John smith work”
”take me to the closest Walgreens”
”take me to the Porsche in Burlingame”
"take me to Exon on 18th Avenue"
"find nearby gas stations" (a list comes up, tap one)
"find nearby restaurants" (a list comes up, tap one)
"find the closest Walgreens"
”text message John smith”
”Call John smith”
”Call John smith home”
”Call John smith cell”
”Call John smith work”
”text reply to John smith”
"email John Smith"
"remind me at 10:30 AM to call Sally" (a reminder is created on your iPhone)
"remind me at 10:30 AM thursday to call Sally" (a reminder is created on your iPhone)

if you subscribe to apple music, you’ll have CarPlay voice access to 45+ million songs, and voice access to an incredible number of genres and artists. Otherwise you need to get your tracks loaded into your Apple Music library and onto your phone in that music library, probably via iTunes on a Mac or PC

I've been using voice commands in the car for years now and it’s a pleasure. The only issues are that occasionally some names (especially foreign language names) are harder for siri to understand, in which case she’s more likely to get it right if you say the name of a song and the artist in the same request. You should feel free to experiment with commands and most of what you can think of will work.

When it comes to recognizing names in your contact list, voice recognition always does better with both first and last names, than with a single name. If you want to use a single name, such as "call Beth home", it would work better, for voice recognition, to change the name in the contact to Elizabeth for example, and say "call Elizabeth home". That’s because voice recognition does way better with two or three syllables than with one.

Last edited by petelp; 08-20-2019 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
charleyk874 (02-02-2023)
Old 10-06-2018, 05:54 PM
petelp
Advanced

Originally Posted by BradleyCB
for some reason, the entertainment system tries to override CarPlay and reverts to PCM's home screen instead of displaying CarPlay. For example, suppose we are listening to Sirius '90s on 9. Then we connect my iPhone to try to listen to a playlist off of my phone. The song on my phone will play, but the display in the car automatically goes to the PCM home screen.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a setting within PCM I need to adjust to stop this from happening, or is this more of a CarPlay issue?

I appreciate any feedback provided.
I noticed it today a few times. In my case, I realized that the center console has many touch sensitive buttons. which I had accidentally touched with my hand. eg. touch climate on your center console and it will bring up the climate screen on the display. (They don't look like buttons, they look like lit up words on the panel) Once I became aware of that it stopped happening for me. Could the same be the case for you?

EDIT:
No question that the above had happened to me, and since I've been careful about it, its happened much less frequently.

But since first writing this it HAS happened again twice. Each of those more recent occurrences have happened when using Maps or music streaming in an area with very poor cell coverage.

I'd like to hear if anyone notices a correlation between (1) reversion to PCM screens and (2) poor cell phone coverage while attempting to use the internet on CarPlay.

Pete

Last edited by petelp; 10-08-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM
sphynxdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had anyone had any success/updates with this?

I took my car in yesterday as it is beyond frustrating and the dealership couldn’t reproduce it (big surprise).
Old 11-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Joby
Advanced

I have elevated this to Porsche and they are aware of the issue, but unsure when it will get fixed. I have found that it is way more stable when you use Apple Car Play, open the side widget for the PCM on the right. With the PCM open as a widget, it does not seem to boot out of Car Play as frequently. It's only happened to me about 5x in a month. What they should do is by default, when you use Car Play, the widget should automatically fill in that black space on the screen as it doesn;t make sense you manually have to activate the widget.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM
petelp
Advanced

FYI. As I mentioned above, it had happened to me a couple of times. Those incidents were with a 2018 Panny base model, which I rented for 4 days.

Early in October I bought and received my new 2018 4S. It has never happened with this new car, and I am using CarPlay about 99% of my drive time.

I wonder if I have newer software on my car than you have on yours, or than I had with that rental.

Last edited by petelp; 11-28-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:38 PM
Joby
Advanced

Mine is a 18 4S as well and from what I am told it's all the same SW.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:35 AM
Bladerunner1963
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took delivery of 2018 e-Hybrid about two weeks ago. CarPlay on every drive, not seen the problem yet.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:54 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

So my problem is somewhat different. I have a 2018 E-Hybrid and I like to use Amazon Music. Doesn't work through the PCM even though it shows up. I did get the AT&T "free" microchip and used it for the "free" period and everything seemed to work fine. Now trying to use Amazon Music with Car Play which does work fairly well. The problem is I've downloaded multiple music into my Amazon account and they do show up on the Car Play Amazon screen, but when I play some if them, it just says "Loading" and gets stuck. Not sure what is causing the problem???

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera & Apple CarPlay Issue