Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes question

I have a 2010 pant turbo with red calipers.. known to me to be regular brakes. Indy says it has ceramic pads. I need replacement all around.

Is that right? I can put ceramic pads into regular calipers right? Also, any reviews for hawk brakes + rotors? I figure might as well do the rotors too..

or can the rotors wait?

also can someone please send me the part numbers for the correct sizes for pads + rotors? I looked on hawks website couldn't find ceramic ones...

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 223 Likes on 98 Posts

They are just talking about the compound material of the brake pads. Measure your rotors to determine if you need to replace them. Your fronts are D1349 and rears are D1417. They may have been referring to the Hawk performance ceramic brake pads. Buy them online and DIY to save yourself a lot of money!
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll buy them online but I def can't DIY.. I have zero idea about what I'm doing, don't have tools, nor space. May way of saving cost is research + buying on pelican parts + Indy.

sucks that I'm also changing out the front right airbag.. freaking $1500 part
Old 09-25-2018, 12:02 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 223 Likes on 98 Posts

Shoot. Well at least you can save some money online!
Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 571 Posts

Post a pic of your brakes, that would help
Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

I posted a thread on here with brake pad choices for Panamera turbo. You can choose any of these.
Thread has links so you can either buy from makers of pads, or get the part number and get online somewhere else if you can find better price.

Here is the thread: CLICK HERE

I advise you learn how to do basic car maintenance. I started knowing zero about cars too.
Tools will cost you about 150 to 200 bucks, but you will save thousands. Literally.
There are diy videos for brake change. Easy to do. Hope this helps you.

Before you put new pads in, ask indy to find out how thick your rotors are. The thread link above has details on rotors, their new thickness and their thickness when requires replacement.
When changing pads, I would recommend you have rotors machines to be flat perfectly again. If you dont do that, the contact between pads and rotors will not be optimal and braking will be affected.
Plus if your rotors have warped even a tiny bit, you will feel stuttering during braking. Not optimal for braking.

Also, with brake pad replacement, I recommend you replace the springs that pads travel on during braking. Old springs do not allow free travel for pads. This will help obstruct the pads and can impede the braking process.
And, if you already get the pad wear warning, it means you must replace the brake pad wear sensors. If they have not come on yet, means they are functional, but the problem is all the heat over time can affect shielding and wires inside of sensors.
When you swap them, you have to manipulate them in ways that make them prone to breaking or damage. You will likely damage one or two of them while trying to remove from the pad itself.
Best off buying new set of sensors for your turbo sa well. I believe their PN is 970 609 143 00 for turbo, iron brakes sensors.

Summarizing:
- pads are in thread above. Pick one and buy.
- Brake pad springs for turbo (2 per caliper; 4 per front) - PN 970 351 959 01
- Brake wear sensors for turbo iron rotors (1 per caliper; 2 per front) - PN 970 609 143 00

WARNING:
Indy shop will ask you to pay at least $600 for pads themselves (they will likely not agree to install ones you bring - will quote you 'we cannot guarantee the parts so we wont install them' bs).
The shop will then proceed to charge you about $160/hr labor, so you are looking at about 600-800 in labor.
Total it up and you will have likely 650 labor + 600 parts = $1250 plus tax.
That is for pads changes alone. Add rotor machining, then add about $60 per rotor.
Want replace rotors, then you look at another $450/rotor.
Adds up quick.

DIY pads only change: $160 (pads)+70 (springs)+35 (sensors) = $265 (tax & shipping included). Adding rotor machining: Add another 250to that cost (shop can do for you easy). Worst case, DIY pads change is 500 bucks.
DIY pads and rotors change, you add about 225/rotor (good quality slotted). Means your cost will go up to about $1500 total. Compared to 4k or 5k, it is a bargain, clear to see why you need to learn this very simple maintenance item.
Imaging what you can do with extra 3.5k saved on brake job as DIY. You can always give it to me.

Good luck.

Last edited by ciaka; 09-25-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Brakes question