Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

12' Panny base model died on the highway yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 06:08 PM
darkhart
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12' Panny base model died on the highway yesterday

Hello all, this is NOT the post I thought would be my first one here but yet it is. After months of researching and reading up on these machines I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a used 2012 v6 rear wheel drive base model with 73k on the clock, it had only had two owners and had always been serviced at a Porsche dealership. Well I go to Arlington TX to pick up the car and proceed on my 5hr drive back to Little Rock, AR and this car drove so lovely and smooth so needless to say I was grinning all the way at this point. About 285 miles into the trip back home I'm cruising along at 75 mph listening to the stereo when all of a sudden the A/C stops blowing then the car starts losing power when the accelerator was pressed, the display shows in red to "reduce speed" of which I had no choice to cause there was no power hardly so I quickly pull over to the side medium as the car is all but dead at this point and just as I come to a complete stop the car dies. I tried to restart it but it won't, it turns over and seems to have a almost rough start before quickly dying and I notice that the radio wouldn't work completely and had the message disable due to low voltage or something close. I know I'm WISHING but would a bad battery cause this type of issue with this vehicle???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Rick

Today I installed a new battery to no avail then I hooked up a basic OBDII scanner and pulled these two codes P12A1 and P0336.
I also noticed that the volume control on the stereo no longer works which I noticed yesterday when all this started and today I also noticed the power trunk open/close isn't working either whereas it did before all this started???
Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 PM
rx7ven
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm no expert but i would think the alternator is having issues and is not charging the battery hence the low voltage message, although those 2 codes you pulled seems to state differently. i do feel your pain though. after picking up my 2012 panamera S with 74k miles. i drove it for 700+ miles, it was fine, parked it in my garage and the next morning i tried to start it and there was a transmission failure which costed me over 12k to replace.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:32 PM
darkhart
6th Gear

I thought I was doing good by finding one with low mileage and I'm still hoping for the best because I simply love this car.....
Old 09-16-2018, 08:21 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

the P12A1 kind of points to the high pressure fuel pump - a thread with possible some useful info
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...181-and-p2404/
Old 09-17-2018, 12:10 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't despair, even though it may not be the best place to be at today. Once this is sorted, I am sure you will keep loving this car for a long time. I posted some time in the other forum, check the comments, or I can paste into here later.

Originally Posted by darkhart
I thought I was doing good by finding one with low mileage and I'm still hoping for the best because I simply love this car.....
Old 09-17-2018, 02:45 PM
tastefulmods
5th Gear

Besides the fact that these cars are very sensitive as far as electrical goes, they are awesome cars. Hopefully you get this resolved quick and its not something major like water damage or something.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 PM
darkhart
6th Gear

Thanks for the help and all the words of encouragement, the car is at my indy being checked out and he seems to think it's something simple so hopefully I will know tomorrow.....keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Good luck and let us know what they find
Old 09-22-2018, 12:07 AM
darkhart
6th Gear

Okay everyone here's the update...…
Fuel pump in the gas tank took a dump on me. I did call the dealership I purchased it from soon as it happened and the wanted me to just bring it back to them cause they thought I was still in the Dallas area but I was already 285 or so miles away so they told me to have it towed to my indy and checked out of which I did. My guy called me yesterday afternoon to tell me what the issue was and the repair would be $935.00 total so I called the dealership and they paid for the repair over the phone and I picked up my baby a little after noon today and all is right in the world again lol.....Again thanks everyone for all the help....
Old 09-22-2018, 10:47 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Fuel pump in the gas tank took a dump on me. I did call the dealership I purchased it from soon as it happened and the wanted me to just bring it back to them cause they thought I was still in the Dallas area but I was already 285 or so miles away so they told me to have it towed to my indy and checked out of which I did. My guy called me yesterday afternoon to tell me what the issue was and the repair would be $935.00 total so I called the dealership and they paid for the repair over the phone and I picked up my baby a little after noon today and all is right in the world again lol.....Again thanks everyone for all the help....
Happy for you and superb work by the dealer standing by the sale. Dealer deserves a pop here making the best of a bad situation.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

nice. there are some honest dealers out there.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:35 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

lexhair makes a good point, let everybody know who the dealer was, they deserve it :-)

good dealers need to be recognized
Old 10-12-2018, 05:44 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

My 14 Panamera 4 just hit 38k miles and the high pressure fuel pump decided it had enough. In my case, it went into limp mode. I happened to be about 3 miles from my dealer so I dropped it off unannounced right before closing. Less than 48 hours later, it was back in service. I've read some horror stories about this kind of failure but no such experience for me. I'm pretty sure this pump (not the one in the tank) is in the engine compartment based on the videos I've seen, my own prowling around and the service chit that included removing and replacing the wiper motor assembly.

Quick Reply: 12' Panny base model died on the highway yesterday