Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Turbo: Anyone try wider shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Panamera Turbo: Anyone try wider shoes?

Stock:
295/35/20 on a 20x11
255/40/20 on a 20x9

The stock wheel size will allow a few other tire sizes and widths to remain at that 28.1-28.3 overall diameter. Most importantly with the AWD you need to keep the front and back overall diameters as close as possible. In my previous cars, RWD only, I always used the .5 or less and never had any issues with ABS or other active handling systems. For the Porsche I'd want to stay within that .3 front to back.

A quick search finds some old conversation on Rennlist and another site, but mostly related to going with larger wheel sizes, 21-22" which I have no desire to do. I am; however, curious of some real experience running 305 or 315 width tires in the back of the Panamera. I think the tires look a bit small for the wheel and I'd like a bit more rim protection and the possibility of some traction improvement with the idea that the stock tire choice is most likely designed for a balance of overall driving, not maximizing track performance. I'm not trying to maximize track performance either, but just slightly wider shoes might be an option....
Old 07-20-2018, 03:50 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

From my car 255/35 and 295/40 20" tires, I think if 315 goes on, when car gets lowered (if air suspension), the inner wheel well side could contact the tire itself. Consideration for those with air suspension in cold/hot climates, where temps will alter behavior of the air suspension.
I considered it until thought a bit more, then decided to install 15mm spacers at all 4 corners instead.
This alleviated 2 concerns:
1. The tire/wheel well rubbing/resting
2. Mismatch on overall wheel circumference due to tire size differences, and getting PSM/Sport mode/Sport +/4 wheel drive errors due to tires being slightly different ratios from stock.

Mismatched tires, even slight, can put your car through a bunch of issues/debug to get sorted out, related to transmission/final drive/rear diff. That is why I said thank you, but no thank you.

Quick Reply: Panamera Turbo: Anyone try wider shoes?