Panamera 2010-Current

Steering Feel in the 971 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:32 AM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Steering Feel in the 971 Turbo

I've mentioned in some threads that the steering feel on this car was sub par. For that I humbly apologize. I just got back in from a late night cruise. It was the first time I was able to experiment with the different suspension setups/modes. The legendary Porsche handling is in this car but it needs to be in its stuffist suspension setting in order to unlock it. I threw the car into Sport + mode and the car came alive and I fell in love with the car all over again.

For all those that are weary of the lack of confidence the car inspires. Throw the suspension in Sports + and you'll feel like your driving a 'proper' (As Chris Harris would say) Porsche..
Old 06-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa
I've mentioned in some threads that the steering feel on this car was sub par. For that I humbly apologize. I just got back in from a late night cruise. It was the first time I was able to experiment with the different suspension setups/modes. The legendary Porsche handling is in this car but it needs to be in its stuffist suspension setting in order to unlock it. I threw the car into Sport + mode and the car came alive and I fell in love with the car all over again.

For all those that are weary of the lack of confidence the car inspires. Throw the suspension in Sports + and you'll feel like your driving a 'proper' (As Chris Harris would say) Porsche..
As I've said in numerous posts, I test drove the 4S and the Turbo back-to-back 4 times. I really had trouble deciding which to buy. Now let's be clear here: Chris Harris, I'm not. Teff Needle--nope. Sabine Schmidt--not a chance. I'm just a regular bloke with love of cars. I think I'm a decent driver, but then, well, don't we all? Anyway, one of the takeaways was I thought the Turbo was heavy--comparatively-speaking. I thought the 4S was much more lithe, probably a result of the lighter front-end. Anyway, that's my too sents. Of course, I am buying the Turbo. DMoore is probably the one who convinced me. I just don't want any regrets. In any event, I look forward to see what you mean.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 AM
beechpilot
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Tell
As I've said in numerous posts, I test drove the 4S and the Turbo back-to-back 4 times. I really had trouble deciding which to buy. Now let's be clear here: Chris Harris, I'm not. Teff Needle--nope. Sabine Schmidt--not a chance. I'm just a regular bloke with love of cars. I think I'm a decent driver, but then, well, don't we all? Anyway, one of the takeaways was I thought the Turbo was heavy--comparatively-speaking. I thought the 4S was much more lithe, probably a result of the lighter front-end. Anyway, that's my too sents. Of course, I am buying the Turbo. DMoore is probably the one who convinced me. I just don't want any regrets. In any event, I look forward to see what you mean.
I think you should reconsider the 4S. You won't regret getting it instead of the Turbo as it has great power and a much lighter on its feet feel. I also wanted the Turbo before getting my 4S because of the V8 and the power. However, I was disappointed with the much heavier feel up front and delayed response when flooring it on the highway.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beechpilot
I think you should reconsider the 4S. You won't regret getting it instead of the Turbo as it has great power and a much lighter on its feet feel. I also wanted the Turbo before getting my 4S because of the V8 and the power. However, I was disappointed with the much heavier feel up front and delayed response when flooring it on the highway.
I've done so much thinking about this that my kids hate me and my wife is suing for divorce. Scratch that, she's trying to kill me. Let me admit a couple of things here: I'm not buying a car. I'm buying a Porsche. Even if I were buying a ballz out sedan I'd be probably better off buying an E63s or an M5--a lot cheaper that's for damn sure! My logic is this: when I get in there will be no mistaking I'm driving what I'm driving. Not some noisy 5-series, or E Class with details only you and I see. A Porsche. For what all that that means; nothing stealth about it. Now, chances are the difference between the S and the Turbo will go completely unappreciated. Except by me. I just don't want to close the doors (soft close, of course), walk away, and think, "Ugh, shoulda bought the Turbo." That's it! No other reason. All wrong, maybe. Silly, noisome, perhaps. I hear ya, but that's it.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:30 AM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

The OP title is "steering feel" but the posts are about suspension and handling?

The steering feel (weight) is ridiculously light regardless of sport mode setting. My wife's MY17 911 and my previous MY14 PTT felt more stable, substantial and confidence inspiring. The lighter steering in this MY17 might as well be an Audi or Toyota.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:23 AM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't feel much difference in steering weight or feel in the various sport settings on this car. Mine is a 2013 S. That's the only disappointment I have with the car really. Agree it's Toyota light. Even my two 2016 Chevrolet's (truck and Cameron ss) are better in that dept.
The camaro really gets better as you move up the sport settings too.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:40 AM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Believe me.. Im sport plus mode.. The steering is confidence inspiring. In other modes during aggressive driving you're always scared you're going to lose control. At least I am. In sport plus u can't tell your driving an electrically assisted rack. It feels like a hydraulic rack.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the car equipped/optioned with Power Steering Plus? This affects the steering response at low speeds.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:21 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I have completely confidence in the steering. But its way too light for my tastes. Nothing like the 996 or E36 M3 which are my personal benchmarks of the cars I've owned.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:29 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Originally Posted by dudecs
Is the car equipped/optioned with Power Steering Plus? This affects the steering response at low speeds.
Yes

Quick Reply: Steering Feel in the 971 Turbo