Panamera 2010-Current

Newbie to Porsche Considering a RWD Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 01:04 AM
NVBear78
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to Porsche Considering a RWD Panamera

After years of driving BMW's (540i, 550i and 535i) followed by an Audi (S6) I am looking at the Porsche Panamera. BMW's and Audi's have gotten so soft and their electric power steering provides no feel at all so I am hoping that Porsche still offers a rewarding rather than remote driving experience.

The Panamera is at the very upper reach of my budget so I am considering the RWD Panamera with minimal options. I have only had one short test drive so far of a Panamera (RWD, base car without air suspension, PASM, or rear wheel steering). The drive was too short but I liked the feel of the car and it reminded me of my early BMW's. The driving position was outstanding and that became very clear when I drove an Alfa Quadrafoglio and a Maserati Ghibli later the same day. Both had phenomenal engines but the steering was hypersensitive in the Alfa and the Maserati driving position and interior were awful.

So I am looking for any general input from the Porsche community and have some specific questions I am trying to research:
  1. Does the base V6 have enough power/torque for a car of this size?
  2. Is the Rear Steering important?
  3. What about PASM (by the way the Porsche website says this option includes the Air Suspension). Some of the Car Magazines have complained about artificial feeling in the handling in Panamera's with all of the suspension assists.
  4. Is the Standard interior without leather OK?
  5. How is visibility through out the back-in my short test drive I noticed the extreme slope of the rear window?
  6. Can I get as good a deal if I order a car as from purchasing off the lot? When I consider an almost $100K car I like to get the color and options I prefer.
  7. Is there a place I can find detailed information on Porsche Leases? I am told they don't lease well but neither do Audi's and I am always lease my cars since I can expense them through my company.
Thanks in advance for your input. By the way I am located in the Northern California Wine Country.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:17 AM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds familiar. I've been mostly in bmw sedans and one Audi over the past 20 years - my last one was a e39 M5. I have also owned several sports cars including a 996.

Was recently in the market for a larger smoother road trip car and about to go for a F10 550i Msport. Also was looking at M5 of same generation plus the RS7 and jag XJ. On a whim decided to drive a 2013 pano S with the V8 - cpo with 24K Miles. And the decision became crystal clear - bought it.

Steering feel is too light especially at low speeds but there is more Road feel vs the F10. At higher speeds the steering feel is pretty good. Nothing like a e36/46/90 M3 or even B6 S4 but it's very precise. The chassis is alive. And the car is more of a drivers car than the current crop of BMW's. And is far more elegant and luxurious inside as well. It's a great car and drives much smaller than it is - partially because it's much lighter than the similar sized BMW's - at least 10pct lighter which makes a huge difference in handling and Road feel.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Yes
2. Somewhat
3. No
4. Definitely
5. Acceptable
6. No
7. SQ5 and S5 Sportback have good residuals. Porsches don't lease that well, but it may be worth the tax savings.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:00 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Go Hybrid if you can afford the difference?
2. No.
3. You need Air.
4. Unable to comment
5. Absolutely fine
6. No
7. Unable to comment
Old 06-04-2018, 02:27 PM
NVBear78
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for their very helpful information: I did a lot more research this weekend and am zeroing in on a Panamera, RWD, with PASM (includes air suspension) but no rear steering and a few other options. I am also thinking I will go with 19 wheels as the ride quality and road noise from the 20 inchers on my Audi S6 is not so good and I would like to avoid those issues.

Based upon the Lease Special listed on the Porsche USA website it appears the car I am building online (approx. $92K) will lease in an amount that works for me. The next step is negotiating a reasonable deal (hoping to negotiate $5K to $10K off of the MSRP on an order) and one of the resources I found online suggested the Fresno, CA dealer as a good one to work with on an order. Don't know if is true of not but I have always thought the best deals were available from higher volume dealers and/or dealers in lower overhead areas.

Now my concern is rumors I am hearing of slow down at Porsche factory! Will try and drive car again this week and then if all goes well negotiate an order.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NVBear78
Thanks everyone for their very helpful information: I did a lot more research this weekend and am zeroing in on a Panamera, RWD, with PASM (includes air suspension) but no rear steering and a few other options. I am also thinking I will go with 19 wheels as the ride quality and road noise from the 20 inchers on my Audi S6 is not so good and I would like to avoid those issues.

Based upon the Lease Special listed on the Porsche USA website it appears the car I am building online (approx. $92K) will lease in an amount that works for me. The next step is negotiating a reasonable deal (hoping to negotiate $5K to $10K off of the MSRP on an order) and one of the resources I found online suggested the Fresno, CA dealer as a good one to work with on an order. Don't know if is true of not but I have always thought the best deals were available from higher volume dealers and/or dealers in lower overhead areas.

Now my concern is rumors I am hearing of slow down at Porsche factory! Will try and drive car again this week and then if all goes well negotiate an order.
Fresno are making aggressive deals due to their central location and desire to grow. Otherwise, they are a true enthusiast dealership.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:53 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get the 19s...they cheapen the whole look of the car. If you have air, the car is very comfortable and road noise isn't bad anyway.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:36 AM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Even with the standard suspension the 20s ride quite well. IMHO.

Quick Reply: Newbie to Porsche Considering a RWD Panamera