Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Since when and why aren't 2012 Panamera affected by AH08 recall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:05 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Since when and why aren't 2012 Panamera affected by AH08 recall?

I've read about 40 pages of posts here and on another big US forum trying to understand what was going on with the AH08 recall and why there was apparently no recall in Europe.

From what I've read apparently cars in Europe (at least in the UK) have the exact same dreaded bolts and do suffer from the issue (?), except that there's no recall.

As I plan to buy, in addition to my 20 years old buddy (a 1988 Porsche 911 3.2), a used 970 V6 (gasoline) in Europe, this is getting complicated.

So I figured out maybe I should simply discard all the Panamera affected and go directly to a car not affected by this issue.

But what I don't get is this: since when exactly are Panamera not affected anymore by this issue? Sometime in 2012? When exactly? And why aren't they affected anymore? Are there no bolts there anymore? Or "better bolts"?

Is there a particular starting from which I can consider the cars to be safe?

For example what if I go to the 2013 facelift (which is given @ 310 hp in europe, vs 299 hp for the 2011/2012 models)? Is the facelift not affected for sure by AH08? Why?

P.S: all the horror pictures I saw in the gigantic threads on the subject kinda simply make me want to go with another brand... Sad as life-long, air-cooled, rock solid, 911 owner.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:47 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The recall was for 2010 through 2012, and late 2012 builds were not recalled. (Mine was built in June 2012 and is not affected) So yes, it appears they found and fixed the problem sometime during the 2012 model year. So if you're considering a 2013 and beyond you'll be fine (at least with this recall). And of course, Europe is Europe and not governed by NHTSA who can force a recall if the manufacturer doesn't voluntarily do so them self. So whether Porsche didn't do the recall for other markets just because they didn't have too?
edit: and you can always check the VIN of the car for recalls at http://recall.porsche.com
Old 06-05-2018, 12:52 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Yup I saw someone on sixspeeds who said that his Panamera produced in march 2012 wasn't affected and that he could see the bolts through when opening the oil cap.

Re- checking the VIN for recalls: I take it it works for other recalls but doesn't work for that specific recall as the recall didn't happen in Europe (I'll be buying a european car)!?

Quick Reply: Since when and why aren't 2012 Panamera affected by AH08 recall?