Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera turbo vs turbo s e hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:54 AM
Mubes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera turbo vs turbo s e hybrid?

Ive seen some comparisons and even videos of the turbo vs turbo s e hybrid and they seem pretty much dead even from all the impressions and videos I’ve seen. Saw one video where the hybrid was only a foot ahead of the turbo from nose to nose. Anyone have any input on this? Is the hybrid just really that much heavier that it’s perofrmance is hampered and over estimated?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:40 PM
imgleb
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hybrid is a hybrid

I thought about this a lot too. If hybrids **** you off, I wouldn’t get the turbo s. I got my gf a hybrid 5 series and I don’t like driving it personally, the engine goes on and off constantly. Hybrids will be a thing of the past, basically the intermittent period when cars transition from gas to electric.

For myself I got the regular turbo and I love it. Will chip tune it if the power isn’t enough, but honestly it’s fast enough.

Just imagine that your panamera turbo s is the sickest Toyota Prius you can get
Old 09-27-2018, 11:23 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a vid, maybe TopGear, that does a nice track test of the TTSE. Personally, I've had mine for a few months and only put ~1400 mi on the odo. It's a lovely, but heavy car.

I drive it two ways (1) Electric only for around town or to my office that's 2 mi away from home; (2) Sport mode - 2 clicks on the selector for nearly full raucous power, fantastic exhaust note and engine always on. Electric only/Hybrid mode is good on the highway and nets ~30 mpg, Sport mode nets 20-22 mpg for the same drive. It's quick, but not light. If you want light, get a GT3!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Mubes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I hear is how heavy the car is. Is there a significant weight difference in the feel between the turbo and turbo s?
Old 09-28-2018, 07:15 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't driven them back-to-back to have a comparison. I previously had a PTT S, the new car/bodystyle is so different that you can't make direct comparisons.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:44 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

I moved from owning a 2015 Panamera 4 (V6) to a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid (V6), and despite the 500 or 600 extra pounds due to the E-Hybrid part, I notice little difference in the cornering of the car at speed. The engine only goes on and off constantly if you're in Hybrid Auto mode and driving at speed (or if the battery level is close to zero). My daily commute to my office is 26 miles roundtrip, and I can do that in all-electric if I work at it; generally I like to open it up a bit on the 20 miles of expressway (out of that 26 miles) when I can, so I end up basically driving about 3/4 of the roundtrip in all-electric mode. I've gotten it up to 86 mph (about the stated limit) in E-mode (all-electric) before the ICE kicks in, provided that you aren't near zero in battery capacity. If I could justify the extra expense of getting a Turbo S over a Panamera 4, I'd only get the E-Hybrid -- wouldn't even consider the non-hybrid version, just as I wouldn't consider the ICE-only version of Panamera 4 again after having driven 13k miles of the E-Hybrid version (it's just way better, on so many levels). That extra low-end torque of the electric motor, plus the extra boost when accelerating with both the ICE and electric motor combined, is wonderful; and driving a Panamera in all-electric mode alone is a real delight.

Quick Reply: Panamera turbo vs turbo s e hybrid?